Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

BB: If you took OMA's design for that complex in Louisville, scaled it down it quite a bit, and ran some pipes through it, that would make a marvellous fountain for the Four Seasons.

I like the english rose patterned garden too. I wonder if the bushes will be big enough to scuttle under?

interchange: Why would a gentleman of your standing contemplate rootling around in the undergrowth? And don't be so silly about the fountain.

Howabout something like the Vaillancourt in SF?
Vaillancourt%20Fountain.jpg

buildingbabel: Couldn't agree more! The Four Seasons will be a strong enough statement. The fountain and gardens are a generous nod to a traditional Yorkville. It all works. The scale of that thing in San Fran just wouldn't be appropriate for the little streets of Yorkville.

^"Rock and Roll -- stop the traffic"​

I didn't know that was the one... Stop the Irish vandal!

From the Globe:

School board gets $2-million over shadow hotel would cast

JEFF GRAY

The developers behind a proposed high-rise Four Seasons Hotel and condominium complex in Yorkville are giving $2-million to a nearby school after concerns were raised about how much shadow the project's two towers would cast over the school's playground.

But the plans for the Toronto-based luxury hotel chain's new five-star, 46-storey flagship, just east of the existing Four Seasons in Yorkville, are still expected to face opposition before a city council committee today.

The development, which will cost at least $325-million, has been in the works since last summer, and calls for two towers, one 46 storeys and the other 30 storeys, mostly on land now occupied by a car dealership at Bay Street and Yorkville Avenue.

The taller structure was originally set to be 55 storeys, but was shortened after a series of meetings with residents and city officials, said Councillor Kyle Rae, who supports the project.

However, the towers will still cast some shadows, especially in the morning, on the playground at Jesse Ketchum Public School, on Davenport Road north of the site, causing parents and some local residents to object to the plans.

Toronto District School Board chairwoman Sheila Ward agreed yesterday to drop the board's objections in return for $2-million.

The money will go to building new play equipment relocated to a sunny area, skylights to compensate for the lack of sunlight, and other building improvements.

"Two million dollars is not to be sneezed at," said Ms. Ward, who accepted the deal before a 5 p.m. deadline yesterday that was set by the developers, a joint venture between the Four Seasons and Menkes Developments Ltd.

Ms. Ward said she had spoken with three of the five members of the school's parents' council, who were supportive of the $2-million deal.

However, Donna Wright, chairwoman of the parents' council, said yesterday, before she learned of the deal, that she didn't want the school to trade sunlight for cash.

"I don't think sunshine should be sold at any price," Ms. Wright said.

She pledged to speak out against the development today when the plans come before the Toronto and East York Community Council.

In addition to the $2-million for the school, the developer is promising another almost $8-million in street improvements, public art, a publicly accessible park area, and improvements to the nearby historic fire hall and the Toronto Reference Library.

But Mary-Helen Spence of the Avenue Bay Cottingham Residents Association said the project is too dense for the area, and accuses the city of giving the development "special treatment."

The current Four Seasons on Avenue Road, which has played host in recent years to countless Hollywood stars during the Toronto International Film Festival, as well as the Rolling Stones, Nelson Mandela and Tony Bennett, is expected to continue to operate as a hotel even after the new property opens in 2009.

AoD

But Mary-Helen Spence of the Avenue Bay Cottingham Residents Association said the project is too dense for the area, and accuses the city of giving the development "special treatment."

It's only served by 2 subway lines! Let's make sure there's a third before this proceeds!

(Cottingham is a long way north to be complaining from. How far does this the jurisdiction of this NIMBY group extend?)

Hopefully this one will be easily approved, as it should be.

Also noted in the latest Condo Guide, groundbreaking was held for 100 Yorkville.

Just a thought, how about relocating the firehall to somewhere more accessible, and creating a firehall museum in the existing structure? It must be tough getting in and out of Yorkville Ave for the trucks, and must be noisy for nearby residents?

Just thinking out loud.

So they'll be dishing out $2million to the school and $8million presumably thanks to Section 37 for a total of $10m. I can't think of any other recent developments that have handed out that much cash to proceed with their development.

It would be really nice if the City decided on highly publicized specific projects that Section 37 funds would be used for prior to approval so that local citizens could see the direct results and put one-and-one together with the approval of a project and it's positive effects on the neighbourhood once the developments are done.

With the depletion of the Ozone layer one would think that if these parents truly loved their children they would want to keep them out of the sun. In fact, shadows should be welcomed as a way to cut down cases of melanoma in the city. 4 Seasons only had the best intentions when they decided to shield the children from the nasty sun.

It would be really nice if the City decided on highly publicized specific projects that Section 37 funds would be used for prior to approval so that local citizens could see the direct results and put one-and-one together with the approval of a project and it's positive effects on the neighbourhood once the developments are done.

If I recall correctly the Brown and Story plan to revitilize Bloor St was set to cost about $30 million. I think $10 million was supposed to come from section 37 agreements from developments approved along that corridor.

I haven't heard anything about the Bloor St. Revitilization in a while - does anyone know that status?

Re: Four Seasons. I hope the drop off in height from 55 to 46 floors does not result in wider floorplates. I prefer taller thinner towers, but hopefully the change in height maintained the original floorplates rather than adjusting the floor-plates to accomodate 55 floors of density in a 46 storey building.

Just saw a TV news piece on this issue. The woman opposed to this plan was talking as if the school playground would be in constant shadow and that's reason enough not to allow these towers to get built. She also went on about kids needing sunshine.

Considering that schools are open from 8:00 - 4:00, five days a week for around 185 of 365 days a year. I can't imagine the shadows of these towers having that much impact on the health or well being of the children using the playground. Add to this the potential for increased enrollment by increased development in the area, (which adds to the school's operating budget) and the $2 million offer and I can't believe that there is as much opposition to this as there seems to be. If we can't get projects like this built at that location, then we don't derserve the prestiege that comes along with it.

Back