Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Also noted in the latest Condo Guide, groundbreaking was held for 100 Yorkville.

I walked through the parking lot today, and no ground has yet been broken. In fact, there isn't even any machinery on site yet and the lot hasn't been closed.

the bay ford lincoln is set to close on either june or july 1 (i forget which, and i threw out the mailing). the mailing says that they sold the building to Four Seasons. perhaps that'll be the temporary sales centre?

They had a piece on CityTV at 6pm. Biggest piece of crap story I've ever seen. Complete with kids singing "you are my sunshine" - laughing all the while knowing that the whole thing was a farce. Then the CityTV reporter states that construction had already started (showing multiple shots of Regency under construction). It was hilarious actually - didn't somebody clue in that they got the wrong project, especially when they showed a sign saying "Regency"!
JG

She's complaining about a few minutes of sunshine missing in the morning?! They still have a whole day of sunshine left...and it's not like they're outside all day either.

That they're getting a $2 million settlement over this is incredible...a ridiculous complaint, but it's worked out for them.

Local council okays hotel complex despite objections
JEFF GRAY

Globe & Mail, April 5

A proposed 46-storey, five-star flagship Four Seasons hotel and condominium complex in Yorkville -- opposed by some local residents because of its size and the shadows it will cast -- easily cleared its first political hurdle yesterday, and will now head to Toronto City Council for approval.

The $500-million plans, designed by architect Peter Clewes for the Toronto-based international luxury hotel chain, call for two towers -- 46 storeys and 30 storeys -- near the corner of Bay Street and Yorkville Avenue.

A packed, day-long session of Toronto and East York Community Council heard yesterday from residents who fear the towers will overshadow local houses and a nearby schoolyard, as well as from many Yorkville residents and business people who support the project, which has been championed by the local councillor, Kyle Rae of Toronto Centre-Rosedale.

Councillors voted 7-2 to approve the plans, with Michael Walker (St. Paul's) and Martin Silva (Trinity-Spadina) objecting. The project goes to city council for approval this month.

Much of the controversy over the proposal centred on the effect the buildings' shadows would have on Jesse Ketchum Public School, on Davenport Road, north of the site.

The chair of the Toronto District School Board, Sheila Ward, said Monday she had agreed to accept $2-million from the developer for improvements to the school and its playground to compensate for the shadows, which would occur mostly in the mornings.

The board as a whole must still ratify the deal.

But the chair of the school's parents council, Donna Wright, who opposes the deal, said her group wasn't properly consulted.

Ms. Ward, who is also the local school trustee, said parents' representatives attended several meetings, and that three of five parents involved in the process were informed of the $2-million deal on Monday and supported the move.

Mayor David Miller said the project represents a vote of confidence in Toronto's economy, and that the 46-storey height of the building is appropriate.

Toronto has to grow up. 1/2 dozen people should not have an impact on a 500 million dollar development that brings money and people into this city Toronto is just to big to be worrying about 5 storeys here and there.Our Toronto politicians keep on saying that Toronto is a world-class city but i guess they all have small town mentalitys when it comes to major developments.Id like to know who is this guy that obviously lives on a cloud and snaps pictures of any building over 50 stories that is to be build shadowing little homes and childrens schoolyards in the nearbye neighborhoods.

They had a piece on CityTV at 6pm. Biggest piece of crap story I've ever seen. Complete with kids singing "you are my sunshine" - laughing all the while knowing that the whole thing was a farce.

Too bad it wasn't "It's A Sunshine Day" they were singing

doug.990604brady.jpg

Another thing lost in all of this, is that for the most part kids don't care about the weather unless its raining and even then they still make the best of it. This is a NIMBY issue, created by adults who don't like change. If they were really concerned about their children, then the question they should be asking of the developer and city shouldn't be about shadows. It should be about road and general safety precautions during the three plus years of construction period. Cement trucks, cranes and diggers attract 6-8 year old boys, like Pam Anderson attracts 20 year old ones.

That they're getting a $2 million settlement over this is incredible...a ridiculous complaint, but it's worked out for them.

Those NIMBY's are really beginning to bug me. Those poor kids must really need therapy for sun deprivation when it's cloudy outside.

It would cost less than $2million to put up some huge mirrors to reflect the sun.

Two million dollars is not an unreasonable amount, to send classloads of small children to The Spa at Windsor Arms five days a week.

They do a sunless tan that's $150 for 90 minutes, with a reapplication that's $90 for 60 minutes. I would imagine group rates for small bodies would be much less.

From CBC News:

Yorkville towers get ok, despite objections they'll shade school
Last updated Apr 5 2006 01:24 PM EDT
CBC News

Toronto city councillors approved the construction of a luxury hotel-condominium after a lively debate that saw the hotel's CEO tell opponents there were benefits to living in the project's shadow.

"When you think about the realities of it, first of all you don't want your children in the sun all day long. It's the cause of cancer, in terms of sun," said Isadore Sharp, the founder and CEO of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.

The hotel chain plans to build two towers – one going up 46 stories and the other rising 30 stories – at the corner of Yorkville Avenue and Bay Street. They'll house 254 hotel rooms and 230 condo units as well as a small park and a health club.

The project is slated to become the chain's flagship hotel. Developers originally proposed much higher buildings, with the tallest rising 205 metres, but they were forced to cut it to the current 179 metres.

Opponents objected to the development because it would cast a long shadow on much of the surrounding neighbourhood, including Jesse Ketchum School on Davenport Road.

The developers have offered to relocate the playground to an area that would receive more sunlight and offered funding to any group affected by shade.

But residents and parents whose children attend the school said no amount of money could replace sunlight.

"I love the Four Seasons and I like their hotels. I don't think it needs to be that high in view of the impact that it's going to be causing in the area," said Linda Chu, of the local ABC Residents Association.

Some local business owners from Yorkville were there to support the plan, saying those who oppose it weren't doing the area any favours.

"I'm disappointed in some of them. I think they're small minded," said Frank Luchetta, president of the high-end grocery chain, Pusateri's Fine Foods.

"They don't see the big picture. Toronto is a world class city that has the opportunity to have a world class Four Seasons five-star hotel that we should welcome."

And Whistler said:

In fact, shadows should be welcomed as a way to cut down cases of melanoma in the city. 4 Seasons only had the best intentions when they decided to shield the children from the nasty sun.

Déjà vu?

AoD

Those NIMBY's are really beginning to bug me. Those poor kids must really need therapy for sun deprivation when it's cloudy outside.

Actually, my comment was positive in a way...I mean, it's not like developers are these wonderful people who just want to create great buildings for us. I think it's a good thing the school was able to get $2 million out of them...developers should be forced to contribute more.

^
Agreed SD

so this is where it comes from...

They don't see the big picture. Toronto is a world class city that has the opportunity to have a world class Four Seasons five-star hotel that we should welcome."

Back