News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

GTTA - MoveOntario Quick-Win Phase 2 Projects

I imagine once GO Train serve the old CN Station that they'll be a lot of pressure to have an East Hamilton GO terminal probably near Centennial Parkway and Barton within the short term.

After that it'll probably start a domino effect to have more terminals towards the Niagara region, or probably have Niagara GO buses and have Hamilton’s Station to link up with the GO Train.

So in today's provincial budget the province will fund all of Metrolinx's recommendations.

Also indeed the $3 million for a new platform at James Street North Station in Hamilton will go to LIUNA Station.

So in today's provincial budget the province will fund all of Metrolinx's recommendations.

Also indeed the $3 million for a new platform at James Street North Station in Hamilton will go to LIUNA Station.

The $497 million in the 2008 budget + the funds allocated in the 2007 Fall Fiscal Update (December 2007) totals $744.2 million from the province for the Quick Win Projects:

Hamilton:
$17.4m B-Line Improvements, King-Main Corridor
$12.4m A-Line Improvements, James-Upper James Corridor
$3.0m Sames St North GO/VIA Station Gateway to Niagara
Peel
$26.5m Dundas & Hurontario Higher-Order Transit Corridor
$39.0m Mississauga Transitway Hub, Airport-Renforth Gateway
$0.6m Bolton GO Transit Improvements
Halton
$57.6m Dundas BRT
York
$52.0m Viva Highway 7 - Pine Valley to Kennedy
$19.0m Viva Yonge - Richmond Hill Centre to 19th Ave
$29.0m Viva Yonge - 19th Ave to Newmarket
Durham
$82.3m Highway 2 BRT Spine
$5.6m Cornell Terminal
Toronto
$7.1m TTC Transit City LRT Head Start
$293.0m Yonge Subway Capacity Improvements
$5.7m Yonge Finch to Steeles BRT *Funding previosly provided by city
Inter-Regional
$5.0 Bicycle Expansion, storage and bus carrying devices
$60.0 GO Rail Fleet Expansion: 20 additional bi-level cars for Lakeshore
$9.0 GO Double Decker Buses - 10 new buses
$20.0 GO Track Expansion - GO Bradford & GO Stouffville Corridors.

Total $744.2 million

Also in addition to this $389 million has been allocated in 2008-09 for rehabilitation projects, including improvements to GO Transit facilities at Union Station and other stations throughout the GO network and transit equipment

$166 million over 5 years to expand GO BRT network and purchase additional double decker buses

$89 million over next two years for GO Transit projects identified by Metrolinx, including 20 new bi-level coaches, 10 new double decker buses as track expansions of GO rail corridors.

Overall a huge budget for public transit.

The $497 million in the 2008 budget + the funds allocated in the 2007 Fall Fiscal Update (December 2007) totals $744.2 million from the province for the Quick Win Projects:

Peel
$26.5m Dundas & Hurontario Higher-Order Transit Corridor
$39.0m Mississauga Transitway Hub, Airport-Renforth Gateway
$0.6m Bolton GO Transit Improvements
York
$52.0m Viva Highway 7 - Pine Valley to Kennedy
$19.0m Viva Yonge - Richmond Hill Centre to 19th Ave
$29.0m Viva Yonge - 19th Ave to Newmarket
Durham
$82.3m Highway 2 BRT Spine
$5.6m Cornell Terminal

There's something very wrong with this picture: Peel gets $66.1M, while York gets $100M and even Durham gets $87.9M. Clearly they aren't doling out this money based on ridership/need. Peel probably has more ridership than York & Durham combined, yet gets only a third of what their combined total was. As usual, Peel gets shafted.

There's something very wrong with this picture: Peel gets $66.1M, while York gets $100M and even Durham gets $87.9M. Clearly they aren't doling out this money based on ridership/need. Peel probably has more ridership than York & Durham combined, yet gets only a third of what their combined total was. As usual, Peel gets shafted.

They're doling out money based on what the unfunded projects are, and most of Peel's projects biggest projects have already been funded.

It's all about what you ask for. York is very aggressive. That's why they've gotten two subway lines.

That can only mean one thing: Peel doesn't have enough projects on the books.

Bingo.

Aceeleride has funding. Transitway has funding. The hurontario and Dundas LRT predated MoveOntario 2020, so that was the only thing eligible for funding.

Next round will be the projects identified in the RTP.

It helps that the former finance minister represents one of the ridings the subway is heading for and where his family owns convinently large pieces of land ripe for development.

That being said, our best hope is that the proposed VCC extension is re-evaluated by Metrolinx and never sees the light of day, with the money saved redirected to other priority transit projects in the GTA.

Mississauga is doing just fine when it comes to transit projects. We got the transitway, hybrid buses for Hurontario and Dundas, a new Pearson terminal, Kipling terminal, Bi-Levels GO Buses on the 403/407, Presto Card, Lakeshore Line improvements.

When it comes time to it, the Hurontario LRT will be at least a $700 - $800 million investment by the provincial government.

The part of Peel that is lacking and slacking is Brampton. It badly needs capital funding for basic items such as new Bus Shelters across the city and for REAL transit terminals at Shoppers World and City Centre.

Louroz

That being said, our best hope is that the proposed VCC extension is re-evaluated by Metrolinx and never sees the light of day, with the money saved redirected to other priority transit projects in the GTA.

I certainly hope you only mean the bit north of Steeles!

I'm inclined to agree in the medium term, but there's something to be said for those last two stations in the Metrolinx era. The 407 buses are getting busier and busier, and with a real transitway connecting directly to the subway, we could finally have some semblance of the rapid transit service that GO-ALRT would have provided. There's nothing at VCC now, and I'd like to see more of a commitment from Vaughan to ge shovels in the ground right away.

Either way, the section north of Steeles doesn't have to be very expensive. It's only the TTC's insistence on tunnelling under empty government-owned land.

Mississauga is doing just fine when it comes to transit projects. We got the transitway, hybrid buses for Hurontario and Dundas, a new Pearson terminal, Kipling terminal, Bi-Levels GO Buses on the 403/407, Presto Card, Lakeshore Line improvements.

When it comes time to it, the Hurontario LRT will be at least a $700 - $800 million investment by the provincial government.

The part of Peel that is lacking and slacking is Brampton. It badly needs capital funding for basic items such as new Bus Shelters across the city and for REAL transit terminals at Shoppers World and City Centre.

Louroz

Hey Louroz, back to the Brampton-bashing? :)

The whole GTA is getting the Presto Card (which in itself is meaningless until they reconfigure the fare structure to make use of smart card technology), and guess what, those double-deckers will be stopping in Oakville and Bramalea. And the Georgetown line's getting the improvements too.

Brampton maybe be lacking (it's often ignored and shafted), but it's not slacking - look at the ridership growth rates amongst transit systems in the GTA. Perhaps ask Hazel, who sits on the GTAA, to push for the entire region she supposedly represents, if you think Brampton needs the money.

As for basic infrastructure, how about the Westwood Mall terminal? Meadowvale isn't much better either.

Two can play that game. Are you game? :p

That said, the Hurontario LRT is a great project. Glad that it won't stop in the middle of nowhere at Britannia Road.

Yeah, in the MoveOntario/Metrolinx era, when projects are funded practically as soon as they can be put down on paper, we can pretty much afford to build things in anticipation of future growth, but at this point it still is questionable how many people will use the line north of York...maybe Vaughan will surprise us.

It would be kind of funny if the Spadina extension beyond York U to the sinkhole gets canned after contributing more towards triggering the current era of transit funding than arguably any other project.

The Truth about Brampton Transit

unimaginative2, I agree with the extension to York University and up to and only to Steeles.

The business case for an extension to "Vaughan Corporate Centre" was never there and won't be there for at least another 25 years. The fact that the new City Hall wasn't even seriously considered to be built in VCC is a good indication that even the city of Vaughan itself doesn't believe in the project.

SeanTrans

My point with the Presto Card is that its being rolled out in Mississauga first.

As for Brampton, if you want to consider the fact that a majority of commuters stand at bus stops with cheap wooden benches with adverstising on the back, often with no bus shelter to speak of, or the odd time there is an actual shelter, its at least 15-20 years old dirty and smells, combined with the fact that they have no clue what time the next bus might arrive because there is no Mississauga Transit City-Link system in place, or if you are at a major terminal, say Bramalea GO Station, they don't even bother to post a map of the system, or the so called "transit terminals" at Bramalea City Centre or Shoppers World where the terminals are literally the size of a toll both. If you want to consider all that Brampton transit bashing, sure call it that, I on the other hand like to call it the TRUTH!

I feel so bad for the Brampton Transit rider, that I'm now actually in favour of Mississauga Transit taking over the system to provide a far superior commuting experience and service.

As for Malton and Medowvale Terminals, I've already spoken to staff about that in the past, and they outlined plans for new terminals. I believe they are working on a new terminal for South Common Mall as we speak.

To your point about Mayor McCallion advocating on behalf of Brampton on the Metrolinx board, I'm not sure what the arrangement is, however I seriously doubt the city of Brampton takes the time to brief her on its transit plans. If that is probably the case I don't see her speaking on Brampton's behalf. I want to remind you that Mississauga was always in full support of Brampton having its own seat at the table. If you are to have any beef about representation on the board, you should direct it towards the provincial government.

You see, in Mississauga we like to get the job done. A good example is when we had a real problem with the under representation at Regional Council. We went to the provincial government, presented our case and got the two extra councillors we wanted. As a result we took one giant step closer to our goal of abolishing the region of peel altogether, and the free ride Brampton has been getting on the back of Mississauga will come to a complete halt. If Brampton and Caledon want to desperatly stay within a regional government and try to sucker someone else in subsidizing them, Caledon could simply join Dufferin County and Brampton can join York Region!

Finally, the Hurontario LRT, I believe the plan was for it to stop at new regional transitway station at the 407.

Louroz

unimaginative2, I agree with the extension to York University and up to and only to Steeles.

The business case for an extension to "Vaughan Corporate Centre" was never there and won't be there for at least another 25 years.

That's probably true, but if it wasn't going to Vaughan, it wouldn't be getting extended at all past Downsview...too much transit is better than not enough!

Back