News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

GTTA - MoveOntario Quick-Win Phase 2 Projects

The left turn from southbound Yonge approaching the station can get tricky...that is literally the only rationale behind the entire busway.

Hamilton changes

Well I've been lurking here for two years and something finally brought me out of my shell! My background on this is that I'm originally from Hamilton and have lived in Toronto for two years now. I did the commute from Hamilton to Toronto for a long time and still regularly use the service during the week and on weekends.

The $6million for a new Hamilton GO/VIA station is very odd too me.

The "James North" site referenced is no doubt where the original GO Train station in Hamilton was (buses never went there). About 10 years ago it was converted into a banquet hall. I'm not sure if they can build a new station at that spot or reclaim the current one. For only $6million it would be a pretty bare bones location.

I know that VIA has mused about setting up a new station in Hamilton, but why would GO get involved in that project? Operationally it seems very odd to have GO running two train stations in Hamilton within 5 minutes drive of each other. Maybe they want to have the traditional huge GO parking lot? The current Hamilton station has no free parking, though there are pay lots nearby.

I think that a much better "quick win" project for Hamilton GO service would have been to buy more buses for the QEW Express route. I've had to stand on the bus way too many times this year, even on a Sunday. The ridership has gone through the roof with the addition of the bus only lanes on the 403 cutting the travel time and the deterioration in reliability of the train service in recent years. Having the frequency at every 20 minutes for most of the day is going to be necessary soon.

Well I can see why GO would want a station in the area since the Hamilton West Waterfront area is targeted for some major redevelopment, and putting a new station there would help rejuvenate and encourage investment into the area.

If you read the report the money is only for new platforms not a new station so the station will be moving back to the old CN Station which is now Liuna Station. The entire Station isn't a banquet hall, CN still owns parts of the building, that's why it's subjected to purchasing from CN.

Hamilton is very fortunate to have two beautiful Stations and now GO will be using both.

Are you absolutely sure of that? I've read a bunch of articles, and all of them say that LIUNA will have nothing to do with GO and will not be allowing them to use any of the old station. I can't imagine what part they would be allowed to use, since the front area and the concourse over the tracks are both used for banquets.

I fear that this will just be a super-low-budget station with platforms and a couple shelters. A shame, when there's such a magnificent building a few blocks away.

goham.jpg

See it says "New platforms....future GO and VIA train service to James Street North station (former CN passenger train site)"

Money is only for new platforms.

Also passenger amenities, whatever those might mean. It could mean a VIA Shack like the one in Grimsby, Trenton or Ingersoll, with a pay phone and some shelter, and a GO fare vending machine.

Oh and a park-and-ride. Just what downtown Hamilton needs.

I know, Kiwi, that's why I don't think that it involves restoring the old station. If that were the route they're going, I'm sure they'd mention it. From everything I've heard, they're planning a station on the other side of James Street.

But I believe the "park and ride" aka parking structure feature is going to the other side of the CN Station.

I know, Kiwi, that's why I don't think that it involves restoring the old station. If that were the route they're going, I'm sure they'd mention it. From everything I've heard, they're planning a station on the other side of James Street.

The old station is restored. But parts aren't used like the back platform area, CN owns it.

I wish they could kick LIUNA out of the old station. I like the fact that the building is not sitting empty, but I hate the fact that such a great building is being used as a banquet hall.

Click on this to see a larger image:

I wish they could kick LIUNA out of the old station. I like the fact that the building is not sitting empty, but I hate the fact that such a great building is being used as a banquet hall.

There's always expropriation, but that's almost always more expensive than purchasing it at market value (due to the likely legal challenges).

The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 24, 2007)

Councillor Bob Bratina could yet realize his dream of having rail passenger service return to James Street North.

The Greater Toronto Transportation Authority, headed by former Burlington Mayor Rob MacIsaac, is recommending the province build a new platform to accommodate future GO and Via rail service at a James Street North station. The project is one of 14 the GTTA identified yesterday for funding consideration. The GTTA also recommended Hamilton's James and King Street-Main Street transit corridors and a bus rapid transit service along Dundas Street in Halton.

GO trains into Hamilton stop at the old TH&B station on Hunter Street, but Bratina has been pushing for a Via rail stop where James Street North crosses the CN Rail tracks, near Liuna Station. The old CN station stopped serving passengers Feb. 26, 1993 and was converted into a popular banquet centre.

A platform beside it served GO passengers until the downtown GO Centre opened after a $65-million retrofit in 1996. Via trains stop in Aldershot to serve Hamilton.

^ Sounds like they'll put a platform beside the CN Station like in the past. Behind the CN Station is a big parking lot. Check it out with google map under the satelite.

The Hamilton former CN station-will it serve trains again?

Everyone: Interesting information about the former CN HML station-Is GO planning on serving this station again because of possibly extending service - and taking over from VIA -
Niagara Falls rail service? I remember visiting this station in the 80s-and it felt like a MAUSOLEUM to me - it was so quiet inside. I am glad that it was preserved-even though it became a banquet hall of all things. I recall CN used platform space out back for a repair area-is that there also?
The former TH&B station serves HML much better-but does not connect to allow thru Niagara Peninsula service.
It will be interesting to see what Ontario accomplishes here...LI MIKE

Back