2.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

GTTA - MoveOntario Quick-Win Phase 2 Projects

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
MoveOntario 2020 Foundation Investments Total: $791.3 million

Hamilton A-Line, James-Upper James corridor and Airport connector - $6.9 million

Hamilton B-Line, King-Main corridor - $17.4 million

Hamilton James Street North GO/VIA Station - Gateway to Niagara - $3.0 million

Halton Region Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) - $57.6 million

Bolton GO Transit service improvements - $600,000

Dundas and Hurontario higher-order transit corridor development - $26.5million

Mississauga Transitway Hub: Airport-Renforth Gateway - $39.0 million

York-VIVA Highway 7, Pine Valley Drive to Kennedy Road - $62.0 million

York-VIVA Yonge Street, Richmond Hill Centre to 19th Avenue - $19.0 million

York-VIVA Yonge Street, 19th Avenue to Newmarket - $29.0 million

Toronto-York Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill (Phase 1) - $423.7 million

Toronto-TTC Transit City Light Rail Transit (LRT) head start - $7.1 million

Toronto Yonge Finch-Steeles BRT - $17.3 million

Durham-Highway 2 BRT Spine - $82.3 million

Louroz

Cooksville GO Gets a Pedestrian Bridge!

I've been lobbying for this for 10 years and I finally got my wish granted!

New pedestrian overpass over Hurontario at Cooksville GO station. I live down the street from this intersection and its badly needed! Hundreds of people run across 7 lanes of Hurontario Street everyday to get to and from the GO Train Station.

Well done! I'm very pleased this is being funded!

Louroz

905 and 416 Project Balance

I thought they did a really good job approving projects across the GTA. Everyone got a huge project on the list.

Hamilton got a new waterfront GO Station and rapid transit routes.

Halton got a BRT line, which I heard about but didn't think it would ever happen, but this will nicely connect Hamilton, Halton and Mississauga together.

Mississauga got a major new Airport Transitway Station funded and rapid transit line on Hurontario and Dundas. Bolton got increased GO bus service.

York got phase 2 funding for its VIVA lines and all day GO Train service on 2 routes.

Toronto got funding for 126, new, larger and more reliable subway cars and Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system installation to increase capacity on capacity-constrained subway line. 15% greater capacity by 2012; foundation investment for 30% capacity improvement by 2017. ATC installed from Eglinton to Union by 2013.

Toronto also got York University BRT funding and for Transit City studies.

Durham got BRT lines, which is a huge step forward.

Overall, all goods for new Transit in the GTA!

Louroz

Union Station-Pearson Airport rail link

The GTTA recognizes the Union Station-Pearson Airport rail link proposal, which is part of the MoveOntario 2020 vision, as a priority of inter-regional significance. The Airport rail link proposal is excluded from the Quick-Win initiative, however, because the project is understood to be currently led by other proponents. In the GTTA staff view, the Airport rail link, coordinated with the Pearson Airport/Renforth Gateway proposal contained in this Quick-Win package, could represent a significant leap forward in connecting the broader region and its growing rapid transit network to Canada’s premier air transportation hub.

Louroz

I'm glad to see that the GTTA is actually doing something productive, something that I hope continues. I can only wait until money starts flowing to see how legit all of this is but from the looks of it, all these combined will have a major impact on transit in the region.

I also liked reading in one of the other reports of the "possibility" of the Waterfront West LRT being extended to Port Credit which would be a nice link imo, which might be semi-bias since it would mean LRT right at my doorstep. I'm also glad to hear that Cooksville is getting a bridge too. Hopefully it will be a bit more "outgoing" than the one that was put up at Clarkson GO, but no matter what, it will be better for everyone in the long term.

One thing I did notice is the fact that Brampton didn't really get anything "big" out of this. It seems like everyone got something, except for them. I might be wrong, but I think they were more/less shut out of the Early Inititatives too. I think it's unfortunate that Brampton and Mississauga end up being bunched as "Peel" despite the fact that all the quick win projects are pretty much centred around Mississauga Transit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that MT is getting upgrades and boosts, but at the same time, couldn't they at least give Brampton a couple more GO Trains here and there?

These are all wonderful projects, and I'm thrilled they're happening. Stouffville and Newmarket GO are getting all-day service. What about Milton and Georgetown? Those are obviously more complex making them unsuitable for a quick win, but also much more necessary.

By far the biggest project, and with good reason, is the Yonge subway improvement. It will introduce automated train control and pay for the new higher-capacity trains. That'll be a big win.

I'm a bit sad about the Hamilton Waterfront GO Station. Will this mean the abandonment of the beautiful and perfectly-located Hamilton GO Centre?

Wow Hamilton is getting two GO Stations? Finally getting a VIA station too?

What I think is going to happen is that they'll be two GO Stations in Hamilton. I suspect the new waterfront GO Station will be Hamilton's future 24 hrs station and the Hunter GO Station will continue to have rush hour GO Train service. The GO bus will continue to be out of the Hunter GO Station.

Can anyone explain why they are extending the Finch Subway to Highway 7 AND building a BRT from Finch to Steeles?

Seems like a waste of $17 million to me, especially since Viva won't be building their lanes from Steeles to Highway 7 if there is a subway...

I saw this on the initial Move2020 and just assumed the GTTA would eliminate the redundant BRT, but apparently not...

I think the train to the new Hamilton GO station would go through downtown wouldn't it? Going past the old station on James Street?

One thing I did notice is the fact that Brampton didn't really get anything "big" out of this. It seems like everyone got something, except for them. I might be wrong, but I think they were more/less shut out of the Early Inititatives too. I think it's unfortunate that Brampton and Mississauga end up being bunched as "Peel" despite the fact that all the quick win projects are pretty much centred around Mississauga Transit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that MT is getting upgrades and boosts, but at the same time, couldn't they at least give Brampton a couple more GO Trains here and there?

I note that Brampton is frozen out (and Louroz bolds and italicizes the stuff he cares about, in Mississauga). The "quick-win" isn't the LRT, that would go to Brampton, but only the pre-BRT routes on Hurontario and Dundas - Hurontario dashed line is shown as ending around the 401, which is stupid.

But they could start by giving Brampton hourly Union Station bus service. It's been promised for years and years now, and GO Transit has been ignoring this need yet boosting service everywhere else.

This is phase 2 - Acceleride has already been fully committed by the province, and that with the Georgetown train committments (there's nothing listed here for GO Train improvements) and the Hurontario LRT, that's most of what it's getting anyway.

The reason I guess that Brampton gets squat? Unlike all other regions, Peel doesn't have its chair on the GTTA. It has Hazel instead, so no one represents or cares about Brampton there.

My guess that the really big projects - Transit City, the Yonge north subway, are just EA and technical study funds.

And where are the Milton and Georgetown lines?

Can anyone explain why they are extending the Finch Subway to Highway 7 AND building a BRT from Finch to Steeles?

Seems like a waste of $17 million to me, especially since Viva won't be building their lanes from Steeles to Highway 7 if there is a subway...

I saw this on the initial Move2020 and just assumed the GTTA would eliminate the redundant BRT, but apparently not...

Operational savings on the BRT are expected to be well over $1M per year. It will be nearly 20 years before the Yonge line extension is complete as there are lots of expensive pre-reqs before they can start.

Great news. One point of concern over the Yonge subway proposal is the neglect of the Yonge-Bloor station bottleneck - having increased line capacity is great, but the station itself is saturated as is during rush - I can't see how it can handle the increased passenger load safely without some serious work on the actual complex.

AoD

Back