News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 453     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

i
Report to TTC on new (replacement) entrance to Dundas Stn on next agenda.

The new entrance will be within Atrium on Bay.

It will result in the closure of the existing outdoor staircase and a therefore more usable sidewalk width.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../14_Entrance_Connection_to_Dundas_Station.pdf

Cross-posted to Atrium thread

I am confused. Where will this end up inside the Atrium? 595 Bay Street is the section across from Canadian Tire. 312 Yonge Street is the eastern entrance to the Atrium.

I doubt they will put an entrance at Bay Street...

U-Pass potentially coming to TTC.

Proposed price of $70 per month, which includes funding for over $4M in net new service.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ngs/2018/March_20/Reports/9_U_Pass_Policy.pdf
The U-Pass for U of T students just for the TTC is honestly a terrible idea. I (and many others) would much rather have the Post-Secondary Student fare-type on the TTC. Just accept the PS1 fare-type on Presto for a fare of $2.05 (same as Youth and Senior).

The U-Pass for U of T students just for the TTC is honestly a terrible idea. I (and many others) would much rather have the Post-Secondary Student fare-type on the TTC. Just accept the PS1 fare-type on Presto for a fare of $2.05 (same as Youth and Senior).

These are students we're talking about. They can barely afford tuition as is. Why make it harder for them to use public transit, when it makes so much sense for every U of T student to use public transit?

New South Etobicoke services proposed in a report on next TTC Agenda.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...rts/10_New_TTC_Services_Southwest_Toronto.pdf

I'm glad to see the TTC attempting to fill in the gap between Mimico station and Humber Bay. Their solution highlights just what a difficult area this is to serve:

- There isn't a bus stop on Royal York in front of the GO station. Nearest stop northbound is at Stanley and Royal York, but to meet accessibility needs (there is a steep flight of stairs from RY to GO, no ramp or elevator) TTC has to create a new stop way up at Newcastle/Windsor. It won't be fun for people with accessibility needs to get from there to the station, especially in bad weather. I wonder how many disabled or burdened riders will get off at the GO, not realising that they need to stay on the bus for two more stops to get to the stair-free route?
- Southbound bus stops are just as far away from the GO entrance, with no crosswalks or traffic lights nearby to provide safe pedestrian crossing. The recommended route avoids southbound RY altogether - a wise move.
- They reject extending the route through the Humber Bay condo district, on the premise that the trip is too long.... but that forces people to walk all the way out to Park Lawn Loop to catch the bus to the GO. The time spent walking is more than the added time for the extended routing. Minutes saved for TTC, but minutes cost for the riders, and likely a considerable disincentive to use the route.
- If and when the Legion Road bridge is built, it will offer a much shorter route that could loop into the GO parking lot and bring people much closer to the depot entrance, without the accessibility barriers.

My fear is that this new service just won't be that attractive, and will enjoy low ridership.... and that will encourage TTC and ML to suggest there isn't any potential ridership at Humber Bay. A self-fulfilling failure.

- Paul

Maybe they removed them for secrity reasons so that somone couldn't use it for purposes other then intended.

If they did they don't know a thing about security. These are public spaces, it's not like the layout is top secret or impossible to find out. More likely that are just hoping Google will do it for them like they did with NYC

I am confused. Where will this end up inside the Atrium? 595 Bay Street is the section across from Canadian Tire. 312 Yonge Street is the eastern entrance to the Atrium.

I doubt they will put an entrance at Bay Street...

It looks like they're adding this to the right of the Muji store.

I'm glad to see the TTC attempting to fill in the gap between Mimico station and Humber Bay. Their solution highlights just what a difficult area this is to serve:

- They reject extending the route through the Humber Bay condo district, on the premise that the trip is too long.... but that forces people to walk all the way out to Park Lawn Loop to catch the bus to the GO. The time spent walking is more than the added time for the extended routing. Minutes saved for TTC, but minutes cost for the riders, and likely a considerable disincentive to use the route.
- If and when the Legion Road bridge is built, it will offer a much shorter route that could loop into the GO parking lot and bring people much closer to the depot entrance, without the accessibility barriers.

My fear is that this new service just won't be that attractive, and will enjoy low ridership.... and that will encourage TTC and ML to suggest there isn't any potential ridership at Humber Bay. A self-fulfilling failure.

- Paul

I agree with your comment about actually looping in front of condos. If its inconvenient people will still use the 66 bus to get downtown.

My other big question on the route is why it did not go through the parking lot at Mimico GO? (enter @ Windsor St, exit at Newcastle exit). Instead they added 5 minutes to everyone's commute for no reason. Maybe 30 seconds of additional time (1 minute if someone is backing out of a parking spot). But saves 5 minutes of everyone walking.

The only issue may be removing 1 parking space @ the Windsor entrance so the bus has plenty of room to turn.

TTC benefits fraud investigation update:
223 employees dismissed

March 14, 2018

As a part of the TTC's ongoing benefits fraud investigation, 223 employees have now been dismissed, or resigned or retired to avoid dismissal, for defrauding the TTC's benefits plan.

In 2014, the TTC immediately began an investigation following a tip to its 'Integrity Line' that receipts were being provided to employees by Healthy Fit, a health care products and service provider where claim reimbursements were being made, but where no product or service, i.e. orthotics, compression stockings and sleeves, was obtained or where receipt amounts were inflated. It was alleged, and now proven, that Healthy Fit and the employee making improper claims would then share the money paid out by Manulife Financial.

Adam Smith, the proprietor of Healthy Fit, was found guilty of two counts of fraud over $5,000 and was sentenced to two years in a federal penitentiary. Ten TTC employees were charged with fraud, with four pleading guilty to date, receiving a conditional discharge, one year probation, and community service. The TTC has so far collected more than $82,000 in restitution from these employees. Six other former employees remain before the courts.

The TTC is suing Manulife Financial, Smith and Healthy Fit for up to $5 million, alleging that Manulife Financial did not have appropriate fraud management controls in place nor were there systems in place to detect and analyze unusual trends or patterns that might indicate fraud or abuse. The TTC maintains that Manulife breached its duties of care, which contributed to the losses suffered by the TTC and, ultimately, the public.

The TTC's internal investigation continues. Where evidence shows the TTC's benefits plan was billed inappropriately, demands for repayment are made and employees face discipline, up to and including dismissal.

Since this investigation began, the TTC has publicly communicated updates on its extensive investigation. As such, it has seen a reduction in benefits claims costs of more than $7 million. Benefits fraud is a crime and one that can cost an employee their job and, potentially comes with a criminal record.

40066504354_3bc5864c0d_z_d.jpg

Here's an update on the work at Main Street.

Report to TTC on new (replacement) entrance to Dundas Stn on next agenda.

The new entrance will be within Atrium on Bay.

It will result in the closure of the existing outdoor staircase and a therefore more usable sidewalk width.

I find that disappointing. I love sidewalk subway entrances.

Back