News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I'm totally ignorant as to this, but it looks like there is work going on to expand Wilson yard on the North side with tons of flattened land and tracks? Is this happening and if so why (I don't think we are aquiring more rolling stock soon?)

They needed the space to hold all of the TR trains that they just received, and to account for the loss of storage space on the east side of yard due to the expansion of the shop buildings. There is also going to be a new North Buildup (yard access) tying into the crossover at Sheppard West, but that's well off to the north-western part of the yard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The current head of subway operations - who was parachuted in from Transport for London - seems to think that because it can be done in London that almost all of the afternoon run-in trains can do it northbound from Wilson Station. This is despite the fact that the maneuver from the northbound main to the yard requires operating through two limited-speed crossovers and occupying the southbound main for enough time to line and lock the switches, time everything out, change the northbound home signal to green, allow that northbound train to traverse all of that trackwork and clear the safe limits, time the signal system out, realign the switches and lock them and have the north and southbound mains reset to clear.

So yeah, it's been a bit of a cluster.

The April board period will change this back to the older standard of running trains into the yard southbound, where they don't have to occupy both mains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Jeez, just a train crossing over the main to another set of tracks has such an effect... One would think the level of computerization/automation in the last few decades would've made this a non-issue for a modern subway/metro network. System gives a good 60-90sec buffer between crossing, signals go green, trains resume. Guess not. Good to hear your follow-up that they've made allowances for a grade-separated crossover. Not sure the area in London you're referring to where it 'can be done', but this DLR junction has interested me for some time. Believe it's been modified several times, and being in the open and with GMaps it's a site to see.

What you're generally talking about here is one reason I'm eager to get answers re: a future RL and how it could connect to Line 2/Greenwood. It's largely been ignored from official discussion, but it's clearly a big deal since we can't exactly have trains crossing two busy lines.

Drove along the Lake Shore from Long Branch to the underpass for Humber loop on Sat and all the OS is converted up to Park Lawn to the new system. Some sections were staggered. Looks like all the new bump out platforms have been built, along with the new bike lanes.

All the concrete has been poured for the new tracks from Park Lawn to the underpass, but didn't have a look at the underpass. From what I could see, it looks like the floor is poured with no raise sidewalk. Maybe the sidewalk will be at the same level as the top of rail. A new westbound platform is being built at the underpass. The OS has to be replace.

Lots of rail still laying west of the underpass and no idea where it going to be placed.

From what I could see passing the loop on the Queensway, still not finished.

Looks like all the pole supported are in place east of the loop, but no OS until east of Ellis.

Without a closer look on foot, looks like no Streetcar to Humber Loop come April 1st at this time.

Jeez, just a train crossing over the main to another set of tracks has such an effect... One would think the level of computerization/automation in the last few decades would've made this a non-issue for a modern subway/metro network. System gives a good 60-90sec buffer between crossing, signals go green, trains resume. Guess not. Good to hear your follow-up that they've made allowances for a grade-separated crossover. Not sure the area in London you're referring to where it 'can be done', but this DLR junction has interested me for some time. Believe it's been modified several times, and being in the open and with GMaps it's a site to see.

Of course it has a huge effect - each train is occupying both main lines at the same time, and at low speed. If it takes 3 minutes from the time the signal system gave the green northbound to the time that train has cleared and the signal system is able to give the southbound train a green, how do you expect them to be able to maintain a headway of 2 minutes and 26 seconds - and especially when we're dealing with humans, and not robots?

There's no one area where "it can be done", but more an overarching mentality that "because they do it there it can be done here", with absolutely no sober second thought into the differences between the two systems.

Also, don't forget that the DRL was built with ATO/ATC and smaller, higher-performance trains than our subway. That allows for a smaller margin of error than our 1950s-era wayside fixed block signalling system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

img_2141.jpg.size.custom.crop.867x650.jpg

What do all those signs and lights mean? Duh!

Time to remove the concrete for both the area in front of the ramp and the ramp itself.

I swear to God Almighty himself, I am going to start the’Toronto 509 mechanical bollard on QQ funding campaign’ on gofundme.ca and deliver the the cheque to City Hall myself. Does $1.0M cover this? Mebbe a half?

Seriously. WTF does it take to bite the bullet and get on with it? Then we would not need the visual pollution of all those god-awful Do Not Enter signs.

At the same time I am going to build a higher railing around he portal and get rid of those shit crowd-control barriers slouched and slumped and lumped around the entry portal barrier.

Last edited:
Dont worry, there will be countless studies on this matter, which will then be sent to city council for further direction. Council will then refer the matter back to city staff to further study this issue, then city staff will come up with a revised list of proposals. Once this list of proposals is sent back to city council for voting, they will vote to defer the matter altogether until "funds become available".

This is how this city works and it's shamefully embarrassing. Just by comparison; London, England (a city we love to compare ourselves with since they are world-class) managed to propose and install physical barriers on many of their bridges in less than 60 days. In this city, even for something as simple as physical barriers to prevent incidents like this, it would take countless months (if we were lucky) to get anything like that installed.

It's time to install a gate that opens whenever it detects a streetcar.

Is it? We put all this effort into making it hard for vehicles to enter the tunnel. Signs, bigger signs, paint, more paint, rumble strips, bigger rumble strips. Might have to fight fire with fire on this one. How bout we actually make it *easier* to drive in and out. Use pavement flush with the rails like the streetcar tracks all over the city. No getting stuck anymore. Car drives in, then drives out, and maybe while passing Ferry Docks or circling Union Loop picks some passengers up. Last part a joke, but making the base of the tunnel level with the rail isn't really. At least it will prevent cars from continually lodging themselves in there.

Is it? We put all this effort into making it hard for vehicles to enter the tunnel. Signs, bigger signs, paint, more paint, rumble strips, bigger rumble strips. Might have to fight fire with fire on this one. How bout we actually make it *easier* to drive in and out. Use pavement flush with the rails like the streetcar tracks all over the city. No getting stuck anymore. Car drives in, then drives out, and maybe while passing Ferry Docks or circling Union Loop picks some passengers up. Last part a joke, but making the base of the tunnel level with the rail isn't really. At least it will prevent cars from continually lodging themselves in there.

I wonder if there is a reason the rails are exposed. You would think they would be encased if there was a reason to. Perhaps it is a safety thing?

Time to back charge these clueless drivers the full cost to recover the cars with higher fines. Then, TTC needs to place tire spikes before the ramp, as well on the ramp to stop the car before entering the portal.

Its also time to go back to the original plan for the ROW from York St to the tunnel by removing the concrete and place grass there since the EMS has no need to use the current ROW in the first place.

Have no idea why drivers not realizing they are driving in the wrong place with all the rumble grooves they are diving over, as well all the flashing red lights.

Back