News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I find that disappointing. I love sidewalk subway entrances.
I for one do not, especially in winter given the lack of overhead cover and the crusts of salt tracked down the stairs. I can understand why an entrance which is part of a private building might seem not exactly public service to some but it’s not like there will be many opportunities to put up bespoke entrance buildings like Metrolinx is doing on Eglinton (and forgoing additional revenue from overhead floors while doing so)

Mapping Toronto’s streetcar network: The horsecar era – 1861 to 1891

is at this link.

ttc-streetcars-1861.jpg

Mapping Toronto’s streetcar network: The age of electric – 1891 to 1921

is at this link.

ttc-streetcars-1894.jpg

Mapping Toronto’s street railways in the TTC era (1921-2016)

is at this link.

ttc-streetcars-19231.jpg

Very interesting proposals for adding CBTC ,more capacity, etc to the NYC subway: https://www.citylab.com/transportat...etter-new-york-subway/555722/?utm_source=SFFB

Lots of good ideas for Toronto, especially the AB system
Excellent heads-up Reece.

Take special note of this, and not just for subways. Metrolinx should be right on this too:
The Chinese train builder CRRC MA plans to invest $50 million to develop New York City’s subway car of the future. Its key features would be lighter materials, greater energy efficiency, and a modular design that would make it easy to upgrade as new technologies become available.
https://www.citylab.com/transportat...etter-new-york-subway/555722/?utm_source=SFFB

It’s astounding that the TTC isn’t considering painting the QQ ROW. It can be hard to tell apart the ROW from the vehicle lane, and even worse at night or if you are an out-of-towner. A red ROW may help.

It’s astounding that the TTC isn’t considering painting the QQ ROW. It can be hard to tell apart the ROW from the vehicle lane, and even worse at night or if you are an out-of-towner. A red ROW may help.
Have you looked at it? There are major bumps and yellow paint at York and many signs. More bumps and yet more paint and signs and flashing lights at the entrance to the tunnel. Frankly, if you drive into it you are beyond hope.

Have you looked at it? There are major bumps and yellow paint at York and many signs. More bumps and yet more paint and signs and flashing lights at the entrance to the tunnel. Frankly, if you drive into it you are beyond hope.

To you and I it’s obvious the tunnel is a no-go area. WE haven’t run into it, but 24 other people have. It’s clear all those signs, bumps, raised tracks, etc, are a failure.

It’s also clear that the QQ ROW in general is confusing to many people. I’ve said this before here but the long stretch of the ROW from York St east to the tunnel is not differentiated enough from the vehicle lanes. Changes need to be made to make the ROW stand apart not just at the tunnel but also before the tunnel. A paint job on the entire ROW is a simple solution.

Take a look at the YRT BRT ROW’s.

They could glue down and/or staple artificial grass like they do elsewhere in the world. Like this from Saint-Etienne (South-Eastern France). From link.

SAINT%2BETIENNE%2B020.jpg

...Firstly, I was impressed by such a well-tended lawn... until I realised that it was synthetic !

Back