News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 413     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I don't really care about presto.. if I understand correctly there will be machines at the stops where you insert your tokens and get a receipt right?
They haven't been clear about what the machines on the road will take. Given that tokens are to be phased out, I'd guess that they won't bother enabling the machine on the street for them. But who knows. The machines are only goiing to be at some of the busiest stops. Most stops won't have machines. But you can always use your token on the streetcar to get a receipt.

What matters to me is that it's POP so that there's minimal delays from people having to line up and pay their fare one by one.
Yes, that will speed things up. As will 4-door loading. And not having the first person on, stop a the top of the stairs to argue fares or ask for directions from the driver.

They haven't been clear about what the machines on the road will take. Given that tokens are to be phased out, I'd guess that they won't bother enabling the machine on the street for them. But who knows. The machines are only goiing to be at some of the busiest stops. Most stops won't have machines. But you can always use your token on the streetcar to get a receipt.

Do we even need machines on the street? Ticket machines on the trains should be sufficient.

Can you remember a major acquisition of a new design of vehicle that has ever not had similar issues? It's pretty much par for the cause. You see the same thing in the airline industry.

The Combino fiasco comes to mind.

As great as Presto may be ... it's not really useful when riding TTC until it's everywhere. It will simply cut down on token usage as it's rolled out.[/QUOTE]

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ers-part-of-the-rolling-horror-show-on-queen/
Overcrowded streetcars, disinterested drivers part of the rolling horror show on Queen

Is this overdramatic? I don't take Queen daily.

Nope. Pretty bang on. The Queen and King streetcars from the west end ARE cattle cars. Absolutely rammed. And I'd think most UTers would agree with her suggestions:

Commuters need help now. We need:

• Inspectors;

• Tighter restrictions on left turns to give streetcars priority and a crackdown on vehicles parked illegally during rush hour;

• Repairs to broken streetcars to increase service;

• Friendlier drivers;

• Vehicle bans on King, Queen, Dundas and College streets during rush hour, so the streetcars can flow.

Nope. Pretty bang on. The Queen and King streetcars from the west end ARE cattle cars. Absolutely rammed. And I'd think most UTers would agree with her suggestions:

Indeed. The Queen car and my reliance on that vehicle for non-peak travel is the reason I simply hate anything on rails and in the street.

It's so mismanaged, slow, crowded and unpleasant that in all my travels I have never seen anything quite like it.

Nope. Pretty bang on. The Queen and King streetcars from the west end ARE cattle cars. Absolutely rammed. And I'd think most UTers would agree with her suggestions

Those are just necessary short term solutions - what we really need is DRL along that alignment.

AoD

Commuters need help now. We need:

• Inspectors;

• Tighter restrictions on left turns to give streetcars priority and a crackdown on vehicles parked illegally during rush hour;

• Repairs to broken streetcars to increase service;

• Friendlier drivers;

• Vehicle bans on King, Queen, Dundas and College streets during rush hour, so the streetcars can flow.

I have long advocated enforcing (and perhaps extending by an hour or so in each rush hour) the enforcement of the exisitng no parking and no left turn restrictions during rush hour on King. Just not sure about that list....if we have no parking and no left turn during rush hour and then ban vehicles totally during rush....what does the right hand lane get used for during rush?

Do we even need machines on the street? Ticket machines on the trains should be sufficient.

That way you can pay while waiting for the vehicle and don't need to move around in the crowded vehicle to find the machine.

Hopefully the machine does take tokens, since I'll still need to use tokens everywhere else in the system I'd assume.

Can't recall not seeing fare machines on the street of the systems I saw in 2012 other than Amsterdam for trams.

Having machines on the trams only is only going to lead to issues where people can't access them because the can't get to them because the car is pack. Some systems have both.

Regardless, you still need inspectors, as there will be always someone trying to get a free ride and that starts with the homeless. You can find them riding the system today for free. GO has at least 3-5% non paying riders of all ages, as I have seen them get tickets. Even suites have been given tickets.

If you going to inspect on these new cars, you need more than 2 at a time. I have seen as many as 15 hitting trams at once and was asked to show proof with my pass. I was taken back the first time when this happen, as I thought they were going to attack us since they were in plain cloths.

Regardless, you still need inspectors, as there will be always someone trying to get a free ride and that starts with the homeless.
Sure you need inspectors.

But is it such a crime that the homeless are riding TTC for free? Would you suggest that we should charge them $3 to increase TTC revenue?

That way you can pay while waiting for the vehicle and don't need to move around in the crowded vehicle to find the machine.

Hopefully the machine does take tokens, since I'll still need to use tokens everywhere else in the system I'd assume.
By the time the Presto is roll out, most of TTC fare media will become history including the tokens.

Tokens will be one of the first to go due to their storage and collection weight. You just buy one of the new adult tickets similar to the ones that are currently being sold to Sr and students. They are longer and require to be stamp when first use once the new cars have the new machines.

But is it such a crime that the homeless are riding TTC for free? Would you suggest that we should charge them $3 to increase TTC revenue?

Unlike GO, this will likely be the biggest challenge on a TTC wide PoP system....any idea how it is handled on Queen Street? Clearly the inspectors would have to have some kind of special training to sensitively determine the right way to handle a non payment situation and determine who amongst the non-payers are fare avoiders and who are legitimately in that "homeless/need help" category. (struggling for right words but probably get the gist).

I have long advocated enforcing (and perhaps extending by an hour or so in each rush hour) the enforcement of the exisitng no parking and no left turn restrictions during rush hour on King. Just not sure about that list....if we have no parking and no left turn during rush hour and then ban vehicles totally during rush....what does the right hand lane get used for during rush?
The No Parking hours were extended at Council last week.

City Council approve the extension of the hours of the traffic and parking regulations on King Street between Bathurst Street and Roncesvalles Avenue and between Jarvis Street and Parliament Street to encompass 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

There was an amendment of some sort but not yet up on City website.

I was point out where it starts and you will find it happening on other systems where you can bypass the paying area. What good is it trying to collect money from a homeless person in the first place knowing they don't have the money in the first place?? Seen them removed from vehicles or stations and that is all that can happen.

Back