News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I was thinking Dundas.

Yes, I was aware of the lack of connection from Spadina to Bathurst! (I assume you mean to College) http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/ttc-streetcar-2011-03.jpg is a great resource!

There's nothing precluding a Spadina-College-Bathurst-Queen detour (and it happens from time-to-time when there are accidents), which would be the same distance as using McCaul. I think the problem is that so much of the Spadina demand involves the stops between Queen and College that the bus is more effective to the community.

Of course I meant College.

The "walking transfer" when the whole intersection is closed bugs me though. A detour via College-Beverley-Queen should have been sufficent rather than a long gap in between.

I was thinking Dundas.

Yes, I was aware of the lack of connection from Spadina to Bathurst! (I assume you mean to College) http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/ttc-streetcar-2011-03.jpg is a great resource!

There's nothing precluding a Spadina-College-Bathurst-Queen detour (and it happens from time-to-time when there are accidents), which would be the same distance as using McCaul. I think the problem is that so much of the Spadina demand involves the stops between Queen and College that the bus is more effective to the community.

Too bad Dundas Street East, east of Broadview Avenue, has no streetcar tracks. While Gerrard Street East does provide for detours, there are no north-south tracks until Coxwell Avenue, and nothing else. They should at least put in north-south tracks on Leslie/Jones Streets and Woodbine Avenue.

Too bad Dundas Street East, east of Broadview Avenue, has no streetcar tracks. While Gerrard Street East does provide for detours, there are no north-south tracks until Coxwell Avenue, and nothing else. They should at least put in north-south tracks on Leslie/Jones Streets and Woodbine Avenue.
I don't see how Leslie is feasible - it's a one-way side street, that's rather narrow. Taking away all the front gardens for an occasional detour seems like overkill.

They did briefly look at Jones back in 2010, and discounted it because of the $6 million cost - https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co.../July_14_2010/Reports/Optimal_Turnarounds.pdf

Woodbine ... it's not really that far from Coxwell. I'm not sure it would add much.

If they ever build the DRL with a station at Gerrard/Carlaw/Pape, I'd be hopeful that someone might have the idea of rerouting the 505 down Dundas to get to that station somehow. It would shorten the route, eliminate the overlap with the very busy 504, and provide a quicker connection from the east side of downtown to the subway.

Last edited:
Could be a good thing depending on what kind of late penalties are built into the contract. Drum did mention that if this goes past the delivery schedule, we could end up getting free streetcars:

...If the same penalty clause was written into the contract like all the Orion Buses and this going well past the plan delivery schedule, TTC could wind up getting haft the fleet free based on what taking place today and saving a chunk of money...

I suppose it depends on how badly the TTC needs these things, how much money would be saved and how much it would cost to maintain the CLRV and ALRV a little longer.

Just looking for the silver lining :confused:

Yay we're still on track to have one, and only one, new streetcar by Aug 31!!
There are two production vehicles in town as far as I know. The most recent arrival was 4400, which was send back from Thunder Bay after modifications to the original prototype. And we also received 4403 a few weeks ago. And the two prototypes 4401 and 4402 are still here ... but won't be in service.

I wonder what the status of 4404 is. Apparently the rail car that they use to transport arrived back in Thunder Bay yesterday.

Just looking for the silver lining
The last strike in 2011 lasted 3 days. Even if it lasts a week, it's not like the schedule isn't already months behind. I don't see any indication that this is a big deal.

Last edited:
There are two production vehicles in town as far as I know. The most recent arrival was 4400, which was send back from Thunder Bay after modifications to the original prototype. And we also received 4403 a few weeks ago. And the two prototypes 4401 and 4402 are still here ... but won't be in service.

I wonder what the status of 4404 is. Apparently the rail car that they use to transport arrived back in Thunder Bay yesterday.

The last strike in 2011 lasted 3 days. Even if it lasts a week, it's not like the schedule is already months behind. I don't see any indication that this is a big deal.

Actually the schedule is ALREADY many months behind, the TTC are now saying that on August 31 they will have "at least one new streetcar" in service. (Originally they were to start in service in early summer and quite recently all of the Spadina to Queens Quay service from August 31 was to be new cars.)

Maybe a delay will allow them to start service with Presto fully enabled? "always look on the bright side of life......"

Actually the schedule is ALREADY many months behind, the TTC are now saying that on August 31 they will have "at least one new streetcar" in service. (Originally they were to start in service in early summer and quite recently all of the Spadina to Queens Quay service from August 31 was to be new cars.)
Yes, I know. I simply screwed up my double negative! With months behind already, what is another week?

What's the cause of these delays? I'm not at all impressed with Bombardier's timeliness. We went through the same thing with the TR.
Can you remember a major acquisition of a new design of vehicle that has ever not had similar issues? It's pretty much par for the cause. You see the same thing in the airline industry.

Maybe a delay will allow them to start service with Presto fully enabled? "always look on the bright side of life......"
I don't see why there's much concern about Presto on these vehicles. Sure, they'll need them eventually ... but even if they transition the entire Spadina line in November, you'll still need tokens ... what if a stray CLRV shows up instead? What if your using a different route?

As great as Presto may be ... it's not really useful when riding TTC until it's everywhere. It will simply cut down on token usage as it's rolled out.

I don't really care about presto.. if I understand correctly there will be machines at the stops where you insert your tokens and get a receipt right?

What matters to me is that it's POP so that there's minimal delays from people having to line up and pay their fare one by one.

Memo to self: emoticons when making a light hearted post.....quoting Monty Python is clearly not a good enough indicator!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ers-part-of-the-rolling-horror-show-on-queen/
Overcrowded streetcars, disinterested drivers part of the rolling horror show on Queen

Is this overdramatic? I don't take Queen daily.

What she says isn't wrong, but she's be a little dramatic about it. It isn't some kind of cattle car.

Her article reminded me of this. Louis CK! (skip to 2:40 for the relevant part):
[video=youtube;uEY58fiSK8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E[/video]

Anyways, I'll gladly tear up Queen Street and build a streetcar ROW and pedestrian mall along the length of the street. That will solve her issues :)

Last edited:

Back