News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

WKL,NF and Everyone: After reading these replies I thought some more about this subject and I think that Toronto city and
area drivers are used to dealing with streetcars as compared to suburban and rural drivers that have no clue about sharing
a street with a LRV - this has nothing whatsoever in my mind to do whether the driver is from the US or Canada...

There are drivers out there that do not (or can't) comprehend that a couple of thousand pound automobile will not fare well
with any encounter with a much larger and heavier vehicle no matter if it runs on rubber tires or steel wheels...

If you can't comprehend that the 50 tone hunk of aluminium will wreck havoc with your puny personal automobile you should not be driving.

I don't think that this has anything to do with Canada vs. USA. I say it has more to do with driver aggressiveness. There are definitely places in the world where drivers are far more aggressive than they are here in Toronto. These aggressive drivers should be more prone to making stupid decisions, like cutting in front of the 50 tonne aluminum box on wheels coming towards your vehicle at 40 kph.

To those who complain that the new streetcars are too long, 30.2m is not long compared with other streetcars/trams in the world.

The Siemens Combino Supra NF12B is currently the world's longest tram, located in Budapest Hungary, at 54m in length. It has eight doors (double) on one side.

Hard to tell from those pics...do they run in mixed traffic?

To those who complain that the new streetcars are too long, 30.2m is not long compared with other streetcars/trams in the world.

The Siemens Combino Supra NF12B is currently the world's longest tram, located in Budapest Hungary, at 54m in length. It has eight doors (double) on one side.

Wow, very cool. Thanks for posting.

I wish we had more massive streetcar stops/stations like that. I wonder where the stairs go to (a subway transfer?)

Wow, very cool. Thanks for posting.

I wish we had more massive streetcar stops/stations like that. I wonder where the stairs go to (a subway transfer?)
Talks have broken down in Thunder Bay and 2 pm Monday is strike time.

Goes to their metro.

Could never get an interior shot. Did this 1 day unplanned trip, as it was gong rain in Wien and nice weather was forecast here that was only 2:5 hours away by train. Need at least 3 days to see their system, let alone sites.
8266531931_99512b223a_b.jpg

8267559420_cfbf530179_b.jpg

8267545512_45e1decbe4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this will link, but a laugh from the dash. Some of the tram drivers had no clue how to drive from the looks of it. From Russia with laugh
[video]http://www.youtube.com/josedejesus995[/video]

Try this link
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14QHg8PfQk[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah, but do they run in mixed traffic?
In Vienna streetcars run both in mixed traffic and on their own ROW. On one narrow street there is only one piece of track but streetcars going both ways use it- controlled by traffic lights. Somehow I don't see this working well here but it seems fine there.

In Vienna streetcars run both in mixed traffic and on their own ROW. On one narrow street there is only one piece of track but streetcars going both ways use it- controlled by traffic lights. Somehow I don't see this working well here but it seems fine there.

Budapest seems to be mostly ROW - platforms and barriers and a whole lot of those hemispherical things as seen in the photo - but there are a few bits without them.

Too bad Toronto couldn't send alternate or detour streetcar tracks through Kensington Market and the other side streets, because of the construction at Dundas & Spadina.

[video=youtube_share;FfG99dBudtc]http://youtu.be/FfG99dBudtc[/video]

Too bad Toronto couldn't send alternate or detour streetcar tracks through Kensington Market and the other side streets, because of the construction at Dundas & Spadina.

lol there would be huge streetcar-jams and they wouldn't be able to make it through the crowds.

Cool vid, but it seems dangerous to my north american eyes.

I always thought McCaul was a sidestreet ...

McCaul and Bathurst is a far better detour than many projects get!

Not sure if this will link, but a laugh from the dash. Some of the tram drivers had no clue how to drive from the looks of it. From Russia with laugh
[video]http://www.youtube.com/josedejesus995[/video]

Try this link
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14QHg8PfQk[/video]

1:40 - I can't believe how easily that tram derailed. Hopefully ours won't do that ;)

McCaul can't easily be used by Spadina cars as there's no south-to-east connection at Spadina and Bathurst. Otherwise it would have been a useful diversion.
I was thinking Dundas.

Yes, I was aware of the lack of connection from Spadina to Bathurst! (I assume you mean to College) http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/ttc-streetcar-2011-03.jpg is a great resource!

There's nothing precluding a Spadina-College-Bathurst-Queen detour (and it happens from time-to-time when there are accidents), which would be the same distance as using McCaul. I think the problem is that so much of the Spadina demand involves the stops between Queen and College that the bus is more effective to the community.

Back