Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Sort of like this?

Exactly. Much easier than spending billions to tunnel Bloor-Danforth west and then north (the north part largely duplicating the Hurontario LRT). Still connects to YUS, still would be just as fast as B-D.

What I have done in previous maps though is interlined the Eglinton LRT with the Hurontario LRT down to Cooksville, creating an overlap for the busiest stretch of the Hurontario LRT route.

Rapid transit to Sq 1 is definitely justified, but I don't think that Sheppard should go anywhere east of STC, because there isn't really the same type of 'anchor' in Durham until you get to downtown Oshawa. The closest thing to it is the Pickering GO and the mall there (and the whole barely a handful of office buildings and condos around it).

I also must point out that Bloor-Yonge to RHC is 19km, to Sq 1 is 22.5km, and to Pickering Centre is 30km. So RHC is the closest '905 Anchor Hub' to downtown Toronto.

I'd also like to say that if any Toronto RT should reach Sq 1, it should be the Eglinton Crosstown running parallel to (or replacing) the Mississauga Transitway. Much less expensive, much bigger chance of ever happening, and would provide similar network connections.

True, but sheppard as subway to dean park would attract more riders as it would serve the whole borough. And then run the Bloor line up danforth to McCowan and the to McCowan and Steeles passing STC and the sheppard line. And voila, an acutal subway system. Do this above ground to save money.

Looks like a downgrade to a Yonge LRT Extension to Richmond Hill might be in order. Create the same kind of platform to platform transfer as the SELRT is supposed to have at Don Mills. Seems reasonable to me, since I think extending Yonge into the hinterland is a terrible idea.

It's comments like this that make me fume.

"Location: Downtown" You don't say?

Try to make it a little less obvious next time, please. "hinterland"? Have you ever been north of Steeles or are you just imagining farm fields as far as the eye can see? There is a world beyond Toronto proper. Get used to it.

Yeah, surprisingly, I took VIVA Blue down from Aurora to Finch recently. The section from around Major Mac to just north of Steeles is surprisingly urban and dense.

In fact, Yonge/Steeles was less dense and urban feeling than say, Yonge/Clark.

Exactly. Much easier than spending billions to tunnel Bloor-Danforth west and then north (the north part largely duplicating the Hurontario LRT). Still connects to YUS, still would be just as fast as B-D.

What I have done in previous maps though is interlined the Eglinton LRT with the Hurontario LRT down to Cooksville, creating an overlap for the busiest stretch of the Hurontario LRT route.

I'm not against running the Eglinton LRT all the way to Hurontario. If you run it in the Mississauga BRT lanes it could actually be decently fast.

But that doesn't negate the need to extend the Bloor line west of its current terminus which opened 30 years ago.

The Bloor line should run to Hurontario, but not up to MCC. It's about 9.5km to Hurontario from the current terminus, with about half of it running in a rail corridor.

The Bloor line should run to Hurontario, but not up to MCC. It's about 9.5km to Hurontario from the current terminus, with about half of it running in a rail corridor.

I would think it would be hard to support a bloor line going so far west to hurontario when it doesn't even go to STC in the east. Maybe I could support this idea if the SRT was converted to subway but until then I think its only fair that Dundas be serviced with a BRT or a LRT.

I would think it would be hard to support a bloor line going so far west to hurontario when it doesn't even go to STC in the east. Maybe I could support this idea if the SRT was converted to subway but until then I think its only fair that Dundas be serviced with a BRT or a LRT.

Run STC to McCowan and Steeles then. along danforth and above ground.

Looks like a downgrade to a Yonge LRT Extension to Richmond Hill might be in order. Create the same kind of platform to platform transfer as the SELRT is supposed to have at Don Mills. Seems reasonable to me, since I think extending Yonge into the hinterland is a terrible idea.

Richmond Hill is one of the fastest growing communities in the GTA. in 1986 the popoulation was 48,000 in 2016 it is projected to be 216,000. In 30 years it has nearly quintupled in size.

Having a quick look at the development application update for Richmond hill, it looks like there are potentially 20,000 new units in the pipeline for development. Of those by far the majority appear to be medium and high density developments with the single family homes numbering in just the hundreds.
http://www.richmondhill.ca/documents/report_op_zoning.pdf

Yonge Street is the heart of this region and planning it as the transportation spine through the communities it passes is only sensible.

Yeah, surprisingly, I took VIVA Blue down from Aurora to Finch recently. The section from around Major Mac to just north of Steeles is surprisingly urban and dense.

In fact, Yonge/Steeles was less dense and urban feeling than say, Yonge/Clark.

I live at the corner of Yonge and Steeles and work at the corner of Yonge and Clark so this area has a lost of personal importance to me.

The corner of Yonge and Steeles has long been ignored by Toronto. A planning study was initiated back in 2011 with the last public presentation in June 2012. Here is the presentation from that meeting. http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/yonge-north_presentation2.pdf. Toronto identified this area as an area for intensification and transportation improvements but has done nothing to move forward with anything more than more studies.

In my opinion and with the other 2 corners divided between the two cities of Markham and Vaughan, there is potential for this intersection to be among the most urbanized in the region. http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2010/02/yonge-steeles-corridor-study
There are developers lined up and ready to develop this area but for now, this area is destined to languish until some form of transportation planning comes to fruition.

Last edited:
I'm not against running the Eglinton LRT all the way to Hurontario. If you run it in the Mississauga BRT lanes it could actually be decently fast.

But that doesn't negate the need to extend the Bloor line west of its current terminus which opened 30 years ago.

Besides Sherway, are there really any destinations along Bloor that Mississaugans really need to get to? Seems like if the goal is to get from Sq 1 to downtown TO, it doesn't really make a difference if it's Eglinton over and YUS down, or Bloor-Danforth over and YUS down.

Just because Bloor-Danforth is the closest to reaching Mississauga now doesn't mean it's automatically the top candidate to get extended into Mississauga.

Besides Sherway, are there really any destinations along Bloor that Mississaugans really need to get to? Seems like if the goal is to get from Sq 1 to downtown TO, it doesn't really make a difference if it's Eglinton over and YUS down, or Bloor-Danforth over and YUS down.

Just because Bloor-Danforth is the closest to reaching Mississauga now doesn't mean it's automatically the top candidate to get extended into Mississauga.

Are there any destinations on Yonge Street???

Hurontario is a busier corridor than Yonge. And Dundas is busy in its own right.

BD is the only subway that will ever be close to Mississauga, so yes it should be extended into Mississauga.

Either of those connections would be rather slow, if the goal is to travel between Sq 1 and downtown Toronto. Eglinton option will be a bit longer, and likely slower if Eglinton runs partly in street median.

Really, the best connection to Mississauga is GO REX on the Milton line, redirected in a tunnel to serve Sq 1 directly. It will be by far the fastest option.

Only if CP proves to be totally uncooperative, should an alternative connection, either Bloor or Eglinton, be considered.

Back