Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Line 5 didn't start running into issues until they started actually digging and building the stations. In other words, the OL has yet to reach a stage where we can say anything meaningful over whether it will do better or worse than Eglinton.
Dont you worry, the Ontario Line issues will crop up once Acciona starts building their section of the line. We'll see how that affects the Yonge subway extension timeline.

Line 5 didn't start running into issues until they started actually digging and building the stations. In other words, the OL has yet to reach a stage where we can say anything meaningful over whether it will do better or worse than Eglinton.
From my understanding, on the OL, the stations are going to begin construction prior to the TBMs making the tunnel, as opposed to building them after the tunnel is finished like was done on Line 5. More like the way Vancouver is building the Broadway Subway (where the TBMs get pushed through the excavated station caverns when they arrive at one, and then resume tunneling). So if there are issues, we should know sooner than we did with Line 5. Hopefully.

The Crosslinx PPP-like contact to build the stations, energency-exits, etc., wasn't awarded until after the Eglinton tunneling was complete.

For the Ontario Line, the tunnelling is part of the same contract as the stations it's running through.

So not really comparable. And station construction downtown has already been underway for some time. Have any of the TBMs started yet?

The Crosslinx PPP-like contact to build the stations, energency-exits, etc., wasn't awarded until after the Eglinton tunneling was complete.

For the Ontario Line, the tunnelling is part of the same contract as the stations it's running through.

So not really comparable. And station construction downtown has already been underway for some time. Have any of the TBMs started yet?
Last i heard the tbms wont be launched till mid-late 2025

My point was there is little to no chance of the YNSE opening before the OL, given their current respective phases. The OL certainly seems to be progressing much better than the infamous 5.
I won’t pile on too much here, but my point was that there is a chance, and the phasing is the only thing keeping it from happening.

I will say that having the same people do the tunnels and stations for the OL is far less likely to cause obvious problems than splitting it up.

When: June 24, 2024: 6 - 8pm
Where: Thornhill Community Centre (7755 Bayview Ave), in Activity Room B1 / B2

In-person Yonge Corridor Community Visioning Open House

Surely the downtown core can't offer a more challenging site for subway construction than the urban jungle of Yonge and Egg.

To be fair, there isn't any underpinning happening for Ontario Line. They're avoiding everything including the Line 1 and any sort of utilities by digging down 35 metres underground.

Added onto the other items have already been mentioned in the thread.

Back