Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

And that's why it didn't work well as an April Fools joke. A similar article about the Scarborough Relief Line, or the North York Relief Line, or a subway to Toronto Island would have worked better ...

True. It's pretty sad when something as preliminary as a route selection is posted as an April Fools joke. I thought the TTC was working on that for a long time already.

I think a lot of people missed the point of 42's stunt. Usually April Fools posts present something absurd in such a way that it can be believe for a short period of time. In this case, 42 presented something very sensible, and much better thought through and illustrated than anything we have seen on a DRL routing from the TTC or elsewhere. It was an ironic twist on the idea of the April Fools prank. And at the same time, its lack of absurdity caused us to read through it seriously and think about its ideas rather than just laughing it off.

At least, that's my guess.

Well that's very encourag... oh. Not THEIR $100m. Metrolinx' $100m. I see.

Hey, at least they're supporting revenue tools. I think their request is actually quite reasonable. They just want to get the line to the point where they can start building as soon as the funding comes through. It's not their fault the TTC has been dragging their feet with regards to the DRL.

But Shefman says Toronto’s been stalling on the Yonge extension for years.

And DRL and other lines for decades. Take a number. Should have considered the implications of approving endless subdivisions without adequate transportation before, not after.

AoD

Oops, I suppose it is ok if it is just for prepping engineering of the extensions

Last edited:
And DRL and other lines for decades. Take a number. Should have considered the implications of approving endless subdivisions without adequate transportation before, not after.

AoD

When the Kipling Station was built, and opened on November 22, 1980, it included provision for a light rail extension into Mississauga. Still waiting...

7691779732_250776cb4a_z.jpg

Located on the bus terminal level, south side, for the entire length.

When the Kipling Station was built, and opened on November 22, 1980, it included provision for a light rail extension into Mississauga. Still waiting...
Located on the bus terminal level, south side, for the entire length.

You meant the SRT/RT Mark I that has fail 100% here.

Hey, at least they're supporting revenue tools. I think their request is actually quite reasonable. They just want to get the line to the point where they can start building as soon as the funding comes through. It's not their fault the TTC has been dragging their feet with regards to the DRL.
If York Region paid TTC the $10m/per annum it is estimated TTC will lose on the Spadina Extension, that might pay for some DRL engineering studies. So one of them supports new taxes and levies for transit - great, but which ones? Once the taxes and levies are specified the special interests rise up.

Nor is it the TTCs responsibility to operate an extension that will compromise network integrity.

For the price of a subway, York region could get an LRT on Yonge to Steeles + GO Transit improvement. Why the hate on LRT?
Because it can't carry the expected load for the subway. And the GO takes people to Union station, which isn't where people are going.

If you look at the Passenger Demand Forecast appendix of the March 2012 Concept Design Report you'll see that if they build the subway, the peak load heading southbound, just north of Finch station (i.e. those arriving at Finch on the new subway) is 20,130 passenger per hour (per direction). This is much more than LRT can handle.

They also looked at GO Transit (see Section 5.4 of the appendix), and while 77% of the passengers who board at Richmond Hill Centre do get to Bloor-Yonge, only 35% travel past Dundas, and only 16% travel past King. With both systems built (15-minute GO service) they estimate that only 1,100 passengers per hour would board GO at Langstaff GO compared to 13,300 boarding the subway at Richmond Hill Centre.

With the polls saying no more money from taxpayers, maybe we'd better put the extension on the back burner for now.

Congestion poll results

71% said they were fed up with traffic congestion

39% said that “as far as they knew” the Big Move regional transportation plan will be built with existing government funds

43% said new funds would be needed

52% said it would be unfair to ask residents to contribute to the Big Move

39% said it was fair to ask residents

26% said improving quality of life was the most important reason to improve transportation

21% said cutting the economic cost was the key reason

14% said the environmental benefit was the chief reason to cut gridlock

They want the Yonge Subway Extension, but don't want to pay for it. The Yonge Subway Extension was part of the Big Move. The question remains, do they need the Yonge Subway Extension enough to pay for it?

Last edited:
With the polls saying no more money from taxpayers, maybe we'd better put the extension on the back burner for now.

They want the Yonge Subway Extension, but don't want to pay for it. The Yonge Subway Extension was part of the Big Move. The question remains, do they need the Yonge Subway Extension enough to pay for it?

So move it to steeles. And then revisit it later.

Back