Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

From the February Metrolinx Board mtg:

Metrolinx, the City of Toronto, and Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) staff
have established a joint Relief Line Working Group, which will coordinate governance of Relief Line planning in two segments.

This includes Relief Line South, between Danforth Avenue and downtown Toronto, and Relief Line
North, between Sheppard Avenue and Danforth Avenue.

An RFP for consultant services has been issued for the provision of a planning study and an Environmental Assessment focusing on Relief Line
North.

That isn't an answer to the question - is it, or is it not that the bedrock is deeper along King than Queen alignment? Second is an engineering choice - not an alignment one.

Actually the funny thing is the city hacks haven't provided any numbers for a lot of what they've been saying. There haven't shown any studies to back claims of pedestrian congestion, O-D studies, bedrock profiles, etc etc and what few hard numbers they put out are funky.

Funny you should drag out that article - perhaps you should have a look at whether alternatives are available at each of those sites mentioned and compare it to the context of the particular No Frills at Gerrard/Carlaw - because there is Food Basics in Gerrard Square. Besides, are we going to go down the road of choosing alignment because it will or will not knock down a supermarket?

I don't give a damn about feelings - building anything will involve offending someone somewhere.

AoD

The customers who come by bus would have to go around the corner and uphill to the Gerrard Mall. Quite a hard ship for a lot of customers. If the NIMBY's got their way, the people who happen to walk in from the north wouldn't even get a shortcut through a TTC station... hope you're happy Pape NIMBY's. It would be lovely for the Langley folks to derail their train.

It depends on where exactly they are going, as well as time of the day (how crowded the streetcar is, and how congested the roads are).

Many will transfer, especially at Queen & Broadview. But, quite a few will stay on the streetcar. The streetcar has more stops that may be closer to the person's destination, and it does not divert from Queen.

Ironically the only people that transfer at "Queen & Broadview" are changing to the other line on King. They would rather leave a bus they're already on to wait and jam on to an overpacked one rather than walk 500m to King Street and people here think others would be happy to walk 600-700m from Moss Park to their final destinations.

Actually the funny thing is the city hacks haven't provided any numbers for a lot of what they've been saying. There haven't shown any studies to back claims of pedestrian congestion, O-D studies, bedrock profiles, etc etc and what few hard numbers they put out are funky.

The customers who come by bus would have to go around the corner and uphill to the Gerrard Mall. Quite a hard ship for a lot of customers. If the NIMBY's got their way, the people who happen to walk in from the north wouldn't even get a shortcut through a TTC station... hope you're happy Pape NIMBY's. It would be lovely for the Langley folks to derail their train.

Ironically the only people that transfer at "Queen & Broadview" are changing to the other line on King. They would rather leave a bus they're already on to wait and jam on to an overpacked one rather than walk 500m to King Street and people here think others would be happy to walk 600-700m from Moss Park to their final destinations.
I'm just curious, what do you think about Keessmat for mayor stuff going around?

I'm just curious, what do you think about Keessmat for mayor stuff going around?

Wrong forum to digress into a broad answer, but sticking to the DRL, she has indicated her strong support. So if she stays where she is, she will continue to advance planning for it. I think she's very proving to be very effective and competent in her current role so the plans will come together well.

If she switches gears to the political arena, she will be asked the same question as every other candidate: "How will you pay for the DRL?"

Only then will we know what kind of chops she has as a mayoral candidate.

Even if she has a good answer, the voters may not like it. While I have optimism that good people will eventually come into elected service and save us from the current crop of lousy politicians, we have seen a lot of people change stripes at the podium. And we've seen some top notch candidates get chopped off at the knees by public opinion.

As Chief Planner, she can give the Ivory Tower answers and be loved for doing so. Toronto voters aren't that nice to their politicians. We can only wait and see.

- Paul

have established a joint Relief Line Working Group, which will coordinate governance of Relief Line planning in two segments.

This includes Relief Line South, between Danforth Avenue and downtown Toronto, and Relief Line

An RFP for consultant services has been issued for the provision of a planning study and an Environmental Assessment focusing on Relief Line
North.

huh ... so the relief line long to the province is only Osgoode to Sheppard, thats a bit surprising. It makes it a few decades after Relief Line North gets opened that Spadina & Bathurst sees service .. and who knows when Seneca College / Finch would see service.

I think at minimum, extending the DRL west to Dufferin should be priority, no later than the tail-end of the first phase, since that provides a western connection to the ST station between King and Queen at Sudbury St. Have the eastern ends of the platforms at Gladstone and the western ends at Dufferin, so that Parkdale gets a DRL station in the first phase.

I think at minimum, extending the DRL west to Dufferin should be priority, no later than the tail-end of the first phase, since that provides a western connection to the ST station between King and Queen at Sudbury St. Have the eastern ends of the platforms at Gladstone and the western ends at Dufferin, so that Parkdale gets a DRL station in the first phase.
Keele. Dufferin is too close. It needs a streetcar or LRT.

Even if all stations were on Queen, there would be about 800 or 900 m gaps between the stations; that's walkable for most of people, but is not optimal for a busy corridor like Queen.

Furthermore, the Broadview station is rather far from Queen.
Ah yes, the Broadview mobility hub is on Eastern and not Queen. So it appears that transfers from the Queen streetcar to RER at that location might not be so convenient, although that's neither here nor there with respect to the DRL. Still, the Broadview streetcar tracks will feed directly into the station, so who knows what routes might feed into it.

I do agree that the stations should be a bit closer together in the downtown portion. But they're still close enough that they will meet the needs of most people on the corridor. To design the line in a way that it doesn't do that would be a huge fail.

North.

It's incredible how quickly the Relief Line Long (or Relief Line "North", as they've called it), went from an obscure proposal to a top priority in 18 months.]

Do you have a link to the board meeting?

Are their new rumours around? I heard whispers more than a year ago, but nothing since.

In any case, Keesmaat has been incredibly effective at advancing her agenda through her City Planning position. The King Street transit mall, Crosstown East LRTs are standout examples of this. She risks losing it all if she runs for mayor. I want her to stay in City Planning as long as possible. If for whatever reason she has to leave City Planning, then I'd like to see her gun for political positions.

Even if all stations were on Queen, there would be about 800 or 900 m gaps between the stations; that's walkable for most of people, but is not optimal for a busy corridor like Queen.

Furthermore, the Broadview station is rather far from Queen.

But there doesn't have to be 800-900 metre gaps. The stop spacing isn't set in stone quite just yet. Just fixing the Sherbourne vs. Jarvis and Parliament stop conundrum would resolve so many issues affecting the DRL route.

Again, because who doesn't like illustrations:

When visualized you can clearly see how many things can be fixed.

Streetcar service along 504 King instead of heading to Broadview can take a new alignment up Parliament Street to Castle Frank Stn via the new Parliament Stn at Queen Street. This will further intensify growth along the Parliament corridor, which is outpacing the Sherbourne corridor in terms of density.

514 Cherry gets absorbed into the former 501 Queen car to Neville Park and 503 Kingston Rd car to Bingham.

75 Sherbourne to account for a non-direct transfer point at Queen and Sherbourne does an on-street loop of Shutter, George and Queen Sts before resuming its normal routing. This is similar to what's being proposed for the 47 Lansdowne bus when accessing the new Caledonia Stn.

We need to stop acquiescing for the cheapest construction method possible and instead opt for the BEST city building method possible. We only have one-shot at the DRL, don't let short-sightedness screw things up for generations to come.

But there doesn't have to be 800-900 metre gaps. The stop spacing isn't set in stone quite just yet. Just fixing the Sherbourne vs. Jarvis and Parliament stop conundrum would resolve so many issues affecting the DRL route.

Again, because who doesn't like illustrations:

When visualized you can clearly see how many things can be fixed.

Streetcar service along 504 King instead of heading to Broadview can take a new alignment up Parliament Street to Castle Frank Stn via the new Parliament Stn at Queen Street. This will further intensify growth along the Parliament corridor, which is outpacing the Sherbourne corridor in terms of density.

514 Cherry gets absorbed into the former 501 Queen car to Neville Park and 503 Kingston Rd car to Bingham.

75 Sherbourne to account for a non-direct transfer point at Queen and Sherbourne does an on-street loop of Shutter, George and Queen Sts before resuming its normal routing. This is similar to what's being proposed for the 47 Lansdowne bus when accessing the new Caledonia Stn.

We need to stop acquiescing for the cheapest construction method possible and instead opt for the BEST city building method possible. We only have one-shot at the DRL, don't let short-sightedness screw things up for generations to come.

I don't think there's only one opportunity to build a DRL. In the future, if the current method of the DRL is not the best, another line can be built along King St. Of course, this will cost $$$.

Wrong forum to digress into a broad answer, but sticking to the DRL, she has indicated her strong support. So if she stays where she is, she will continue to advance planning for it. I think she's very proving to be very effective and competent in her current role so the plans will come together well.

If she switches gears to the political arena, she will be asked the same question as every other candidate: "How will you pay for the DRL?"

Only then will we know what kind of chops she has as a mayoral candidate.

Even if she has a good answer, the voters may not like it. While I have optimism that good people will eventually come into elected service and save us from the current crop of lousy politicians, we have seen a lot of people change stripes at the podium. And we've seen some top notch candidates get chopped off at the knees by public opinion.

As Chief Planner, she can give the Ivory Tower answers and be loved for doing so. Toronto voters aren't that nice to their politicians. We can only wait and see.

- Paul
Are their new rumours around? I heard whispers more than a year ago, but nothing since.

In any case, Keesmaat has been incredibly effective at advancing her agenda through her City Planning position. The King Street transit mall, Crosstown East LRTs are standout examples of this. She risks losing it all if she runs for mayor. I want her to stay in City Planning as long as possible. If for whatever reason she has to leave City Planning, then I'd like to see her gun for political positions.
Interesting. I don't think Keesmaat is ready for prime time either! But she has done a good job so far.

Back