News   Jul 22, 2024
 569     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 625     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So, Breakfast Television were all over this line today.

They lead every newscast with it and had a reporter board the 34 bus somewhere in the east end (not sure where, was busy cleaning my ears at that point).....to see how long it took the bus to get across town and get to the airport.

....what struck me was that their slant on this story was all about getting to the airport....I always took that to be a secondary goal of this line....the main one is to get people across the city along eglinton and the airport just ends up being a natural ending point in the west? Am I wrong?

Anyway the reporter was phoning in and from the bus and I caught a conversation with her and Kevin later where she said (I am paraphrasing):

"this bus is very slow and we will not get to the Eglinton station for another 1/2 hour.

I understand why no one actually uses this to get to airport as it is just a ttc bus and can you imagine if you were going on a trip having to lift your bags onto a bus and stay with them all the way to the airport....this is not as convenient as a cab or a limo."

the last comment made me wonder if she was aware that the new service was going to be a streetcar (albeit a newer more modern car than we currently use) or if she thought the new eglinton line will have some sort of first class service to the airport.....anyway it was all very funny (to me).

Yeah, it's rather funny how the news doesn't exactly understand what all the Transit City stuff is about.

I'd like to put out that while I voted for subway, any other type of totally separated rail would make me happy, like an above ground rail with an underground portion in the middle.

Thanks to whoever revived this poll :)

By cable car, I mean people mover, because it's pulled by a cable. *shrug

[edit/clarification] Would the lrt only be stopping at terminal 1 or would it also be stopping at terminal 3?

Last edited:
By cable car, I mean people mover, because it's pulled by a cable. *shrug

[edit/clarification] Would the lrt only be stopping at terminal 1 or would it also be stopping at terminal 3?

I didn't think it was a bizarre question (but thinking like me over the last couple of days is not going to win you any popuarlarity contests around here...I can assure you that ;) ).

It would seem to me that if they could find a way that this came along eglinton, through the airport (with stops at each terminal) and looped up to the Georgetown GO line at that proposed woodbine station (or at the Malton one, I guess) it would be a nice ending to the line....just make it a free ride within the airport (like the people mover is today).

but I am not a planner or engineer and I don't know if that is possible or how much it would cost

I'd imagine you'd have to force a transfer for outbound (from the airport) trains at Renforth, or just force a full transfer at Renforth, although this could cause quite a bit of downtime for trains. However, if they ever decided to extend the LRT to Square One, if there was a forced tranfser, it would be a lot easier to extend the line.

Eglington Crosstown

1-Eglington should be a subway but I can live with the RT Mark II technology.

2-For the underground station, it will either be POP or someone will be there to verify the tickets.
I doubt the drivers will check the tickets.

I didn't think it was a bizarre question (but thinking like me over the last couple of days is not going to win you any popuarlarity contests around here...I can assure you that ;) ).

It would seem to me that if they could find a way that this came along eglinton, through the airport (with stops at each terminal) and looped up to the Georgetown GO line at that proposed woodbine station (or at the Malton one, I guess) it would be a nice ending to the line....just make it a free ride within the airport (like the people mover is today).

but I am not a planner or engineer and I don't know if that is possible or how much it would cost
Making a free ride within the airport would be very hard to do. I think it's better for the airport to provide it's own transportation around, with an Eglinton connection at one of the terminals (or even at the end of the people mover/monarail thingey)

If we increase capacity on the people mover/monarail, we could partially replace the parking lot with a big transit hub (Mississauga Transitway, Blue 22, Eglinton LRT/Subway, Finch West, possibly Waterfront LRT) this would not only give people a whole bunch of options to get to the airport, but also create a big, uh transit hub.

I didn't think it was a bizarre question
I do - why would one even think of replacing for what is all intents and purposes (and these are the word of GTAA) "a horizontal elevator between the terminals" that goes every 150 seconds or so - with a steetcar that would only go every 5 to 10 minutes, and also be subject to whatever scheduling issues the TTC is dealing with. Clearly the infrastructure that was constructed couldn't be converted without gutting it, and shutting it down for a couple of years.

The big question would be is their thoughts of serving both terminals with the LRT, or just Terminal 1. I'd assume that streetcar, like the GO Train, would just serve Terminal 1, and anyone travelling to Terminal 3 would switch to the peoplemover. I'd assume this because I'd think you'd want some kind of larger terminal, as you will have to be dealing with the Finch LRT, the Mississauga BRT, and potentially that north-south connection that Metrolinx has been talking about.

1-Eglington should be a subway but I can live with the RT Mark II technology.

2-For the underground station, it will either be POP or someone will be there to verify the tickets.
I doubt the drivers will check the tickets.

Are not all the TC LRT routes POP (ACRONYM'D!)? I don't see why they'd need someone at the stations to check fares if they'll have people doing it throughout the route.

These new streetcars can be reversed without a loop. You could just put additional vehicles on between the terminals, Renforth and the GO station at Woodbine/Malton.

Besides, If the airport rail link is ever built, (I may be wrong on this but) it would be using the support pillars of the current people mover.

Besides, If the airport rail link is ever built, (I may be wrong on this but) it would be using the support pillars of the current people mover.
It would be using them - but only near the T1 station. The T1 station was built to allow for both the peoplemover and the airport rail link, so some of the supports near the station that are needed for both sets of tracks, are already constructed to to handle both.

Making a free ride within the airport would be very hard to do.

I wouldn't advocate this for Toronto, but interestingly, this is exactly how the LRT in Minneapolis works. It runs along a line with the two airport terminals in the middle of the line. No payment is required for transit between the two airport terminals.

Last edited:

Back