News   Jul 22, 2024
 590     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

850 metres is great, that removes one of my greatest worries that they would make it go like a snail. If they get good vehicles that get up to speed quickly (and smoothly), and the spacing is 850m, it might actually turn out to be a reasonable line.

Let's see how the priority lights and left turns at major intersection will work

Let's see how the priority lights and left turns at major intersection will work
Exactly, although given the TTC's projections of 26-27 km/h on the surface segments, I fear we are wasting a huge amount of money on projects that will be only marginally better than buses, other than for the central tunneled section of Eglinton.

I thought for Eglinton they seemed to be moving towards grade-separating the above-ground sections ...

they could be saving the richview lands for future subway service.
Surely if they grade separate, the route will be in a trench there. And I'd assumed be on an elevated guideway from Leslie to Kennedy - which while often unpopular visually - that stretch has to be one of the ugliest in the city, and a concrete guideway running down the middle might actually look better!

they could be saving the richview lands for future subway service.
Surely if they grade separate, the route will be in a trench there. And I'd assumed be on an elevated guideway from Leslie to Kennedy - which while often unpopular visually - that stretch has to be one of the ugliest in the city, and a concrete guideway running down the middle might actually look better!

Question: will the stops along the tunnelled segment be fare-controlled, with collectors, like subway stations, or will they be like the Ferry Docks station, where you pay as you board the train?

Question: will the stops along the tunnelled segment be fare-controlled, with collectors, like subway stations, or will they be like the Ferry Docks station, where you pay as you board the train?
According to the EA's, the latter except that it will be likely be a POP system.

Pardon my ignorance....what is that?
It's a Metrolinx process that each project is undergoing. It looks at several options and reviews costs and benefits of each. In the case of Eglinton, it is supposed to look at variations in the length of the grade-separated segment.

So far, BCAs have been released for VIVA and SRT.You can see them by going to http://www.metrolinx.com/en/Projects.aspx and clicking the "Benefits Cases" link in the main text.

It's a Metrolinx process that each project is undergoing. It looks at several options and reviews costs and benefits of each. In the case of Eglinton, it is supposed to look at variations in the length of the grade-separated segment.

So far, BCAs have been released for VIVA and SRT.You can see them by going to http://www.metrolinx.com/en/Projects.aspx and clicking the "Benefits Cases" link in the main text.

Thanks.....good explanation.

No need to tell you, I am sure, that I am tying this into my whole thought process about this week's announcement of funding being a circumvention of M'linx' process (I mean, the provinced announces funding, puts an amount on it and M'linx hasn't even finished this?...come on!) as well as trying to define (prompted by Mr Giambrone's comments) what shovel ready means.

No need to tell you, I am sure, that I am tying this into my whole thought process about this week's announcement of funding being a circumvention of M'linx' process (I mean, the provinced announces funding, puts an amount on it and M'linx hasn't even finished this?...come on!) as well as trying to define (prompted by Mr Giambrone's comments) what shovel ready means.
Undoubtedly, although I suppose the "escape clause" is that these projects were already prioritized by Metrolinx, and they are allowing the processes to continue.

But between this and the new legislation, it's easy to see the province taking a much firmer hand at the controls, for better or worse.

Will the Eglinton Crosstown operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Looking at the presentations, there will be no ticket booth at the stations. As well, the driver will not be collecting fares or issuing transfers. Instead, computers on board the LRV's will accept the fares and fare inspectors will randomly check that the passengers have paid.
In which case, those LRV's could run 24/7. It would also provide service for the employees at the airport in the wee hours of the morning.

Back