News   Jul 22, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 630     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So if the underground section starts at Keele, the proposed underground stations are Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West (Allen), Bathurst, Chaplin, Avenue, Yonge, Moune Pleasant, Bayview, Laird/Brentcliffe (maybe one station or two). So that's just a bit less closer than the Bloor Line spacing.

So if the underground section starts at Keele, the proposed underground stations are Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West (Allen), Bathurst, Chaplin, Avenue, Yonge, Moune Pleasant, Bayview, Laird/Brentcliffe (maybe one station or two). So that's just a bit less closer than the Bloor Line spacing.

I hope there will be a bus at the surface for the underground section. They are really far apart

Thank you Tuscani01. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm just sorting out the arguments for RT over LRT in the Eglinton Crosstown. From my understanding the major differences b/w classic RT and LRT is speed and capacity. It appears as though the station spacing is closer to subway spacing, so speed - especially in the underground section - isn't the primary issue. That leads me to believe its a capacity issue and I'm wondering if Eglinton demands a capacity that an LRT cannot bear and hence the desire for a subway. Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely :)

Thank you Tuscani01. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm just sorting out the arguments for RT over LRT in the Eglinton Crosstown. From my understanding the major differences b/w classic RT and LRT is speed and capacity. It appears as though the station spacing is closer to subway spacing, so speed - especially in the underground section - isn't the primary issue. That leads me to believe its a capacity issue and I'm wondering if Eglinton demands a capacity that an LRT cannot bear and hence the desire for a subway. Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely :)

The low floor light rail vehicles will be the same width as the Montréal Metro cars, but longer (30m). And since they will be multi-unit (MU), the trains will be limited by the length of the stations. In the early years, it will probably be 2 car trains, expanding to 3 when needed. Longer trains could be limited to the underground or exclusive right-of-way sections. For comparison, the current subway cars are 22.6m long.

BTW. In the very beginning of the Yonge subway, the TTC had thought they would be using 2 Gloucester car trains (14.6m car) in the off-peak times on the Yonge line. Never did happen.

The low floor light rail vehicles will be the same width as the Montréal Metro cars, but longer (30m). And since they will be multi-unit (MU), the trains will be limited by the length of the stations. In the early years, it will probably be 2 car trains, expanding to 3 when needed. Longer trains could be limited to the underground or exclusive right-of-way sections. For comparison, the current subway cars are 22.6m long.

Montreal metro runs 6-9 car trains.. a normal Montreal metro train is 152.4 m (500 feet) long.

I do - why would one even think of replacing for what is all intents and purposes (and these are the word of GTAA) "a horizontal elevator between the terminals" that goes every 150 seconds or so - with a steetcar that would only go every 5 to 10 minutes, and also be subject to whatever scheduling issues the TTC is dealing with. Clearly the infrastructure that was constructed couldn't be converted without gutting it, and shutting it down for a couple of years.

Just because there is a good answer to negative....does not make the question itself bizarre.....some of us are not as smart as others and we try to get smarter by asking questions.....so you have a very good answer why it is not feesible....no need to make me (or others) ashamed to ask the questions.

no need, as you did, to mock the original poster with responses like "That question makes about as much sense as "Does the Eglinton LRT replace the elevators in Eglinton West station".

It might have been a fair question the first time it was discussed here - but we must have had 3 separate discussions of LINK in the last year or two.

Point taken though.

Last edited:
It might have been a fair question the first time it was discussed here - but we must have had 3 separate discussions of LINK in the last year or two.

Point taken though.

It was the first time I had seen someone suggest replacing it with the Eglinton line running right through the airport (as opposed to the airport)....it made me think that it might be a good idea to carry it through the airport righ to the Georgetown line.

Clearly, you give good operational reasons why it probably would not work......but I, for one, thought this was different than the usual "link cable car versus monorail" type discussions.

The only thing I'd push for is proper use of the Richview Corridor like Edmonton or Minneapolis with railway-style signal priority or a few underpasses. There's absolutely no need for centre-of-the-street ROW through there anyway. If that was done, the only slowish sections would be Bermondsey to Kennedy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/612954

Go-ahead for LRT sparks excitement, worry on Eglinton

TC asks for patience, says construction start at least 14 months away
April 03, 2009
TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
There was excitement along Eglinton Ave. yesterday amid news of the province's promise to pay for a $4.6 billion light rail line from Kennedy station to the airport.

But there were also flourishes of skepticism and plenty of questions from people who work and live along Eglinton.

Officials from the TTC and the province asked for patience.

Some questions, particularly around construction timelines, are still pending further study, said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

It will be "at least six months" before the TTC can say exactly where and when the shovels will go into the ground, but that's not unusual, he said.

The 32.5-kilometre Eglinton light rail line was part of an almost $9 billion transit funding package announced by Queen's Park on Wednesday. It is the cornerstone of the city's Transit City plan, which includes seven LRT lines.

Construction is expected to begin next year, with an anticipated completion date of 2016.

Another line on Finch West also received support, along with a plan to refurbish and expand the Scarborough Rapid Transit line.

The three projects are expected to create 86,000 jobs, according to the Ministry of Transportation.

But what's planned as the first Transit City line, on Sheppard East, has not been funded yet, even though groundbreaking is anticipated this fall for completion in 2012 or 2013.

"We're 14 months out from the earliest construction on Eglinton," said Giambrone. "But (construction) will not just start from one end and go to the other. It will have multiple points."

Work will be taking place at the east- and west-end portions of the line and the central underground stretch at the same time.

Several options are being considered for how Eglinton will run to the airport. "I've seen six possible routes," Giambrone said.

York Eglinton Business Improvement Area chair Nick Alampi admits he is excited about what light rail could do for the neighbourhood on Eglinton near Oakwood Ave., where he and his sister own a tuxedo shop. But he's also apprehensive that the subway will take business off the street.

"We want an assurance the development is also going to allow business owners to prosper. Not only is it putting subway stations in the key locations ... but that there will be some return for businesses."

KEY DETAILS

Q. Why isn't the city building a subway along Eglinton Ave.?

Anticipated ridership for the line doesn't justify a subway, according to the TTC. It expects a demand for 5,400 passengers per hour in one direction by 2031. About 10,000 people per hour is considered the threshold for a subway; 8,000 people per hour is the level at which the TTC considers the technology used by Scarborough Rapid Transit.

Q. Then why is about one-third of the Eglinton line being tunnelled between Leslie and Keele Sts.?

The street isn't wide enough to accommodate the streetcar right-of-way and two lanes of traffic travelling in both directions.

Q. Why are LRT stops located farther apart than existing bus stops?

Simply put, more stops slow down the LRT. On average, stops on street-level sections will be about 500 metres apart.

On the 13-kilometre underground section, stations will be 850 metres apart.

LRT stop spacing

I think that 850M stop spacing for the Eglinton LRT underground section will benefit most people. It is close enough for the business at street level to benefit from having rapid transit near their doorstep and far enough apart so that the LRT will still be considered rapid transit.

I wonder how the LRT will operate, will it automatically stop at every station like a subway or will it behave like a bus and stop only if someone rings the bell or their is somone waiting at the stop?

I think that 850M stop spacing for the Eglinton LRT underground section will benefit most people. It is close enough for the business at street level to benefit from having rapid transit near their doorstep and far enough apart so that the LRT will still be considered rapid transit.

I wonder how the LRT will operate, will it automatically stop at every station like a subway or will it behave like a bus and stop only if someone rings the bell or their is somone waiting at the stop?

850 metres is great, that removes one of my greatest worries that they would make it go like a snail. If they get good vehicles that get up to speed quickly (and smoothly), and the spacing is 850m, it might actually turn out to be a reasonable line.

So, we have one arm of the government telling us this line got priority funding because it was shovel ready and construction could start within a year.......and another saying it is "at least" 14 months away and any decision on timelines are "at least six months" away.

As Bill Maher says...NEW RULE....when buying our votes with our money....get your stories straight!!!

Back