News   Jul 15, 2024
 300     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Eastbound traffic on Eglinton was backed up from Bayview all the way to Brentcliffe yesterday during the evening rush. There are 3 sections on this stretch that narrows 3 lanes down to 1. It's faster for me to get off the bus at Bayview and walk home to Laird. Just brutal!

I do hope you get a good answer from Metrolinx, but I'm not optimistic. As I understand it, the contracting strategy that Metrolinx is using gives the contractors a lot of latitiude to set and adjust their own schedule so long as overall targets are met. So any one 'bump' in the schedule may not even be disclosable to Metrolinx. (In fairness, all may be well, we sidewalk superintendent junkies just aren't in the loop!)

A big issue for me is the lack of transparency and public oversight (I mean oversight by the average citizen, not some political panel that is sworn to secrecy) on project management of these big projects, transit or otherwise. It's not constructive for everyone in the city- or the media - to make a big issue about some minor schedule slippage, but it's also not good if some major issue arises and months go by with the issue (and potential accountabilities for cost or schedule or quality) swept under the carpet. We saw that with the Spadina line when work halted for months due to unforeseens with foundations of York University buildings, and we saw it with the Niagara Tunnel project when Big Becky hit unexpected rock conditions. In both cases the progress maps simply showed the tunnelling not advancing, and no comment was made for quite a long time. In my view (as a taxpayer) that's not acceptable.

If I ran the world, some level of the project Gantt chart would be publicly accessible, with cost information (at least on a red/green basis), and major changes to the schedule documented over the project lifetime. I'm sure the GO Executive and Board would say that it's their job to oversee this stuff on our behalf, but they simply have too many publicity staff and too much latitude to answer to politicians 'in camera' to trust the governance.

- Paul

Eastbound traffic on Eglinton was backed up from Bayview all the way to Brentcliffe yesterday during the evening rush. There are 3 sections on this stretch that narrows 3 lanes down to 1. It's faster for me to get off the bus at Bayview and walk home to Laird. Just brutal!

Folks, underground transit construction never disrupts on street life. Subways Subways Subways. Stop the gravy train

TBM Tracker was updated about an hour ago. Dennis is about 250m (at Marlee) from the extraction shaft. Lea is trailing by about 350m (at Oakwood now)

TBM Tracker was updated about an hour ago. Dennis is about 250m (at Marlee) from the extraction shaft. Lea is trailing by about 350m (at Oakwood now)

Also a message:

Note TBMs might be parked currently to coordinate with the completion of the extraction and launch shafts at Allen Road.
Locations will be updated only when there is significant movement.

Also a message:

Also, according to this:
...Utility relocation work in the centre lanes is expected to start as soon as late October 2014. This will be followed a switch to the south side which is expected to be complete by early 2015. Construction of the headwall and extraction shaft will commence thereafter...

To me, that means the extraction shafts will only be done by mid-2015, late by about half a year.

I do hope you get a good answer from Metrolinx, but I'm not optimistic. As I understand it, the contracting strategy that Metrolinx is using gives the contractors a lot of latitiude to set and adjust their own schedule so long as overall targets are met. So any one 'bump' in the schedule may not even be disclosable to Metrolinx. (In fairness, all may be well, we sidewalk superintendent junkies just aren't in the loop!)

A big issue for me is the lack of transparency and public oversight (I mean oversight by the average citizen, not some political panel that is sworn to secrecy) on project management of these big projects, transit or otherwise. It's not constructive for everyone in the city- or the media - to make a big issue about some minor schedule slippage, but it's also not good if some major issue arises and months go by with the issue (and potential accountabilities for cost or schedule or quality) swept under the carpet. We saw that with the Spadina line when work halted for months due to unforeseens with foundations of York University buildings, and we saw it with the Niagara Tunnel project when Big Becky hit unexpected rock conditions. In both cases the progress maps simply showed the tunnelling not advancing, and no comment was made for quite a long time. In my view (as a taxpayer) that's not acceptable.

If I ran the world, some level of the project Gantt chart would be publicly accessible, with cost information (at least on a red/green basis), and major changes to the schedule documented over the project lifetime. I'm sure the GO Executive and Board would say that it's their job to oversee this stuff on our behalf, but they simply have too many publicity staff and too much latitude to answer to politicians 'in camera' to trust the governance.

- Paul

I think you are right about the contractor/client relationship, however in most contracts like this the contractor is getting fixed fee to do the work and pays penalties if they are late, so delays are not paid for by the taxpayer. In a multi-stage operation the contractor will get as much work done as possible in one area, even if they have to later stop and wait for other things to get done elsewhere, in order to minimize the risk of delays.

Publishing a detailed schedule would not benefit Metrolinx or the contractor in any way - it would only make them the target of criticism from armchair critics whenever the schedule changes - and the schedule probably changes on a weekly basis. No one needs that headache. If you were building a deck and re-landscaping your backyard would you give a detailed day-by-day construction schedule to your neighbours so they could keep track of your progress? Of course not. You'd tell them you're completing the work over the course of the summer and it should be finished sometime in August, maybe early September.

Last edited:
If you were building a deck and re-landscaping your backyard would you give a detailed day-by-day construction schedule to your neighbours so they could keep track of your progress? Of course not. You'd tell them you're completing the work over the course of the summer and it should be finished sometime in August, maybe early September.

Well, now you're talking spousal oversight, which is a whole lot more constraining ;-)

Seriously, I agree totally. The question for me is, what is the threshold where some public information ought to be provided and what prevents potential larger issues from being spun into a less than transparent story line? The temptation to look for the "dirt" increases when there is a vacuum of information. The TTC CEO's monthly report to the Board on TYSSE (which is posted on line) is pretty good, for instance, but only started well into the project after some things may have shifted significantly ...baseline versus most recent schedule is one important dimension for transparency since towards the end of a project the political level will gladly rewrite history and declare success based on the end schedule/budget/scope rather than what was originally approved.

As for the TBM progress chart, it seems to have been diligently kept up all year - much more frequent updates than TYSSE did, which is a good thing - it was the sudden lack of progress reporting that raised my eyebrows. A little context (as now provided) helps. And if the extraction shaft work is falling behind, at some point someone ought to come clean or at least assure that the overall schedule isn't compromised.

- Paul

The contractors have begin to dig the extraction shafts in preparation for the arrival of Dennis and Lea at Allen Station in a few weeks. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

The contractors have begin to dig the extraction shafts in preparation for the arrival of Dennis and Lea at Allen Station in a few weeks. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

The just started that now? What have they been doing for the past year which had traffic down to two lanes? At this point they should have an extraction shaft and be working on the launch shaft.

The just started that now? What have they been doing for the past year which had traffic down to two lanes? At this point they should have an extraction shaft and be working on the launch shaft.

They had been prepping the sites for the digging. The actual excavation is the last step in the process, and in the grand scheme of things not a long one.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back