News   Jul 15, 2024
 192     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Just like with Scarborough City Centre, its best that the Eglinton grade-separated LRT serves the Square One area.

I would just follow the transitway. Again, just like in Scarborough, if you have a ROW - use it.

Yup, agreed. If there was one Toronto local RT line to reach Square One, it should be Eglinton. Three big reasons:

1) It's much less expensive to run it on the surface along an existing ROW than it is to tunnel a new line for several KMs. Like we're probably talking a small fraction of the cost.

2) It benefits from the existing built-up ridership patterns, and simply upgrades capacity and connectivity to Toronto. You could argue that for some people the LRT is adding a transfer, because their local bus used to use the Transitway, but the flip side of that is that it also removes a transfer for most people when it comes to accessing the TTC RT system.

3) It presents a whole host of interoperability scenarios between it and the Hurontario LRT. Especially with the loop in place (discussed earlier), there's the potential to use the Eglinton LRT for either loop service or main line service, and use the Hurontario LRT for the opposite. I'd say the Eglinton LRT for loop service makes the most sense, because it's the end of the line for it, so it isn't costing many people any extra time, unlike the Hurontario LRT, which will be mid-trip for a lot of people. The other option is using the Eglinton LRT trains as a frequency addition on the busiest part of the line, between Square One and Dundas. You get the frequency boost without having to run any dedicated short-turn services.

I would just follow the transitway. Again, just like in Scarborough, if you have a ROW - use it.

Yup, agreed. If there was one Toronto local RT line to reach Square One, it should be Eglinton. Three big reasons:

1) It's much less expensive to run it on the surface along an existing ROW than it is to tunnel a new line for several KMs. Like we're probably talking a small fraction of the cost.

2) It benefits from the existing built-up ridership patterns, and simply upgrades capacity and connectivity to Toronto. You could argue that for some people the LRT is adding a transfer, because their local bus used to use the Transitway, but the flip side of that is that it also removes a transfer for most people when it comes to accessing the TTC RT system.

3) It presents a whole host of interoperability scenarios between it and the Hurontario LRT. Especially with the loop in place (discussed earlier), there's the potential to use the Eglinton LRT for either loop service or main line service, and use the Hurontario LRT for the opposite. I'd say the Eglinton LRT for loop service makes the most sense, because it's the end of the line for it, so it isn't costing many people any extra time, unlike the Hurontario LRT, which will be mid-trip for a lot of people. The other option is using the Eglinton LRT trains as a frequency addition on the busiest part of the line, between Square One and Dundas. You get the frequency boost without having to run any dedicated short-turn services.

Of course, the ECLRT would have to be grade-separated for this to happen.

You guys don't think Square One to Kennedy would be too long eh? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this. I was always meh on the Bloor Danforth extension because you had to tear up at least one neighborhood (Cawthra and Dundas) to get the tunnel through. I think this + the Malvern LRT would be a great ride with only one transfer. I also think the ECLRT should go to Eglinton/Kingston.

You guys don't think Square One to Kennedy would be too long eh? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this. I was always meh on the Bloor Danforth extension because you had to tear up at least one neighborhood (Cawthra and Dundas) to get the tunnel through. I think this + the Malvern LRT would be a great ride with only one transfer. I also think the ECLRT should go to Eglinton/Kingston.

It would be hell of a long ride, that is for sure. :p

It would be a very long trip for many just to get from Square One to Eglinton West (the next transfer point) as well. I highly doubt it would be time-competitive with GO RER or Transitway to Kipling if the destination is downtown. Perhaps this is where a shared fare-zone SmartTrack station at Mount Dennis comes into play.

Anyway, Eglinton West isn't even in discussion at the moment, let alone an extension to Square One. I'll agree Eglinton makes more sense (the EA from ~2001 posted earlier did say that Mississauga found this option preferable to the Bloor extension), but in light of Vaughan and Scarborough and lack of political will for Eglinton West for the time being, if Mississauga asked for the extension down the line after Hurontario is built then I can't see the province not moving forward with it.

Last edited:
It would be hell of a long ride, that is for sure. :p

It would be a very long trip for many just to get from Square One to Eglinton West (the next transfer point) as well. I highly doubt it would be time-competitive with GO RER or Transitway to Kipling if the destination is downtown. Perhaps this is where a shared fare-zone SmartTrack station at Mount Dennis comes into play.

Anyway, Eglinton West isn't even in discussion at the moment, let alone an extension to Square One. I'll agree Eglinton makes more sense (the EA from ~2001 posted earlier did say that Mississauga found this option preferable to the Bloor extension), but in light of Vaughan and Scarborough and lack of political will for Eglinton West for the time being, if Mississauga asked for the extension down the line after Hurontario is built then I can't see the province not moving forward with it.

Oh yeah, it would be long, maybe 80 minutes from end to end. This is actually a reason for the DRL to come up to Mount Dennis: Eglinton West going to Square one would increase ridership greatly, maybe by a lot, not why not take those riders off in western city of York instead of eastern city of York/Old Toronto? Get them to the core faster. For the east, something has to be done for those living east of McCowan and especially those east of Markham Road.

The transitway wasn't designed for future LRT conversion.

There is nothing stopping it from being converted to LRT in the future. Steve Mahoney even campaigned with conversion to LRT in his transit platform. There are a few sections that would need to be reworked, and the stations would need some upgrading, but there is no reason why the transit way cannot become LRT in the future. (Unless GO's need for the transit way prevents the city from converting it)

Which stations/stops on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will have public washrooms?

Probably the major interchanges (Mount Dennis, Eglinton West, Eglinton-Yonge, Science Centre and Kennedy). Keele, Dufferin and Victoria Park would be good candidates for washrooms as well.

Probably the major interchanges (Mount Dennis, Eglinton West, Eglinton-Yonge, Science Centre and Kennedy). Keele, Dufferin and Victoria Park would be good candidates for washrooms as well.

Vic Park is a stop not a station - I do not see a washroom being located at street level in the middle of Eglinton.

If this is a fantasy question, I would say no washroom for an elevated station. Maybe yes if its an underground station.

Probably the major interchanges (Mount Dennis, Eglinton West, Eglinton-Yonge, Science Centre and Kennedy).
As far as I know, the interchange is at the proposed Don Mills station, at Don Mills and Eglinton - not the proposed Science Centre LRT stop at Don Mills and St. Dennis. If they end up building either LRT or a subway on Don Mills, a washroom would make sense - but I don't see it happening until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria Park will prove to be an important stop, and there are great redevelopment opportunities here. But washrooms aren't needed here. In fact, I think the one subway station that could really use public washrooms is St. George.

But I would have liked to see something like this in the Eglinton/Vic Park/Eglinton Square triangle:

Rietlandpark Tram Stop, Amsterdam

It would avoid two major traffic signals and add a bit more "RT" to LRT in this area.

Back