News   Jul 15, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Lots of construction throughout central Eglinton. Some of the construction zones are swapping positions. The massive one just east of Yonge is in the middle of the road now instead of north.

Lots of construction throughout central Eglinton. Some of the construction zones are swapping positions. The massive one just east of Yonge is in the middle of the road now instead of north.

Do we know what's going on with the construction zone on Eglinton just east of Yonge? For at least the past few weeks that area has been reduced to one lane but I don't recall seeing any construction happening there.

Do we know what's going on with the construction zone on Eglinton just east of Yonge? For at least the past few weeks that area has been reduced to one lane but I don't recall seeing any construction happening there.

? There were tons of construction workers, piling rigs, bulldozers, various types of trucks, making noise, digging up the sidewalks, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't see construction happening.

Maybe you were there later in the day when the workday was over? :)

But yes it's utility work.
http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/w...ork-near-yonge-street-for-crosstown-tunelling

Hey Folks, a week ago i sent some emails to Metrolinx about the whole Allen Road Shafts/ TBM stoppage etc. This is what I got back:

Thank you for your inquiries regarding the Crosstown.

The Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM’s) are stopped for planned maintenance on a regular basis. We anticipate the TBM’s to arrive at the Allen Road area in the coming month. Upon their arrival, planned refurbishments of the equipment will take a few months before the anticipated re-launch towards Yonge St. During this time the contractor will continue scheduled work on the extraction shaft and continue preparations of the new launch shaft. On the east, work at the Brentcliffe launch shaft is well underway. Humber, Don, Lea and Dennis are scheduled to arrive at either side of Yonge St. in 2016. Shafts take up to 2 years to construct and the work is on schedule and progressing swiftly.

As soon as these details are confirmed around the re-launch of the TBMs at the Allen, we will be happy to share those through our usual communication channels.

We thank you once again for your interest in the project.

Best regards,

So from this I understand that refurbishments of the TBM will wake place both inside the tunnel and outside during relaunch. So while it may soon appear that they have not made any drive-distance progression to Yonge over the next little while, crews are in fact carrying out work on the machines below.

Work is progressing according to the schedule. I also inquired as to whether their schedules have been squeezed by last years ice storm and potential delays over the year and if so, was that budgeted into their forecast and contractor contingency time. I didnt get a direct response to those parts particularly but i suppose they have in some fashion answered that.

? There were tons of construction workers, piling rigs, bulldozers, various types of trucks, making noise, digging up the sidewalks, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't see construction happening.

Maybe you were there later in the day when the workday was over? :)

But yes it's utility work.
http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/w...ork-near-yonge-street-for-crosstown-tunelling

Well I pass by there almost twice daily. Maybe they've coordinated their work to not interfere with my schedule. Thank you Metrolinx, I didn't know I was that important.

The TBM tracker was updated a couple of hours ago.
Dennis has pretty much arrived at the extraction site and Lea is just past Winona.

Screenshot.png

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 715
But it's underground like a subway so construction shouldn't impact business. That only happens on St. Clair.

Your right. It looks like the elevated lines in Vancouver produce the least construction disruption.

Your right. It looks like the elevated lines in Vancouver produce the least construction disruption.

Only when they're at the side of the street. When they run elevated down the middle in a median, as you might find in a dense urban environment, interruption from construction is fairly considerable.

The foundations has to be deep enough below the frost line AND on solid bedrock. Then there are the earthquake requirements, which may require even more solid foundations. Its the foundations that take "forever". And the utilities that may go into the supports.

The foundations has to be deep enough below the frost line AND on solid bedrock. Then there are the earthquake requirements, which may require even more solid foundations. Its the foundations that take "forever". And the utilities that may go into the supports.

I am not sure how they did it in Vancouver. A single Caisson foundation could work if the soil conditions are adequate.

It's interesting that no one references Calgary - and all of the issues that they had to overcome - when it comes to talking about elevated guideways.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back