News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Sheppard East LRT - Cancel or Continue?

Should construction of the Sheppard East LRT be cancelled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To cancel you need to take a process that exists and then make it not exist. Since absolutely nothing has changed with respect to the Sheppard subway extension it hasn't been cancelled. The next mayor could build a subway under the LRT line unless of course you consider the LRT to be performing the same function as the subway and thus annulling or invalidating the subway. If it performs the same function then perhaps we don't need a subway.

OK, I think everyone here needs to take a breather here. As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it would be heated.

That said, it would be nice to have this as the debate thread for Sheppard East (that people tired of the endless circular arguments can avoid), with the other one more about what is actually happening on the ground if we like it or not (which, personally I do not).

To cancel you need to take a process that exists and then make it not exist. Since absolutely nothing has changed with respect to the Sheppard subway extension it hasn't been cancelled. The next mayor could build a subway under the LRT line unless of course you consider the LRT to be performing the same function as the subway and thus annulling or invalidating the subway. If it performs the same function then perhaps we don't need a subway.

Plans existed and were cancelled. You can deny reality all you want, though.

Everyone knows that Sheppard is a stub of what it was supposed to be. Everyone calls it the "stubway". Why is it called that? Because the funding from Don Mills to Victoria Park was pulled. If that isn't cancelled, I don't know what is.

Everyone knows that Sheppard is a stub of what it was supposed to be. Everyone calls it the "stubway". Why is it called that?

maybe a unusually high number of amputees use that line?

I can't say that I've ever met ANYONE outside of this forum who has called it the "stubway". I don't think normal people do that; and as such most people don't do that.

Actually I think I first heard "stubway" in the media, not on here.

Actually I think I first heard "stubway" in the media, not on here.
Looking in Google's news archive. No references to this in 2009. One in 2008 ... by Ed Drass ... I'm not sure Ed Drass counts as normal, in the sense I've used above. None in 2007. And one in 2006 in a CBC article referencing the "Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario". And then 6 uses of it by the Toronto Star from 2002 to 2005.

The Star seems to have given up on using the term ... so really it's just Ed Drass. My office is near the Sheppard line; not once have I ever heard anyone say "I took the stubway".

Looking in Google's news archive. No references to this in 2009. One in 2008 ... by Ed Drass ... I'm not sure Ed Drass counts as normal, in the sense I've used above. None in 2007. And one in 2006 in a CBC article referencing the "Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario". And then 6 uses of it by the Toronto Star from 2002 to 2005.

The Star seems to have given up on using the term ... so really it's just Ed Drass. My office is near the Sheppard line; not once have I ever heard anyone say "I took the stubway".

Well if you took the subway, you took the subway and you liked it. If you went beyond Don Mills, then you might be more inclined to deride Sheppard as a "stubway".

But thanks for proving my point that the term wasn't invented on UT.

So Miller is willing to expend political capital on downtown subway project (which is right and he should) but not willing to do it for Scarborough? Using the logic deployed on the Sheppard corridor, we should just settle for the half billion dollar rebuild (cheapest solution) of Yonge-Bloor which achieves the goal of relieving Yonge-Bloor instead of pressing for a 2 billion dollar subway line. Why wasn't Miller willing to go to bat for Scarborough and say that a subway is needed there so that STC can be connected to NYCC?

Because it's a genuine capacity concern? It transcends the realm of politics. It's reality: The Yonge line, and many downtown stations are already at full capacity.

It doesn't matter if it's Miller who brings it up, or if it's the easter bunny. It's an undeniable fact.

To claim that STC is going to exceed the capacity of the rebuilt SRT any time soon is hardly a realistic concern by comparison.

I think they only care that STC is a "node", and everyone should be forced to transfer to other services there.

Pretty silly to me.

I could be wrong, but that is what I am getting from all this.

I think they only care that STC is a "node", and everyone should be forced to transfer to other services there.

Pretty silly to me.

I could be wrong, but that is what I am getting from all this.

Nope. Spot on. STC is a node. And Agincourt should be the node on Sheppard, not Don Mills. Given that the bulk of the ridership on the SRT travels between STC or its environs (McCowan) to Kennedy station, it makes absolutely no sense not to extend the subway till there. After all, this is the same logic being deployed on Yonge where the bulk of the riders arriving at Finch are arriving from Steeles or even further north hence making the subway extension logical. So why not for the SRT and why not for Sheppard, where the bulk of riders are from west of Agincourt?

Back