News   Jul 23, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 206     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 969     2 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

For those who'd like to look back to the time of the 'Radial' car along Kingston Rd. from Victoria Park to West Hill:

radialcar.jpg

Radial_Plaque.jpg

Kingstonstops.jpg

The original Cornell farmhouse was built in 1836.
This photo is dated "before 1904" - Probably because an alteration/addition was made at that time.

Cornell-Campbellbefore1904.jpg

In recent times the property became known as the Cornell/Campbell House.
Albert Campbell, who had married a Cornell family member, moved into the home in 1944.
He was a popular Scarborough politician and was Reeve of the township for 11 years and then Scarborough's first Mayor in 1967.
In 1967 he became Chairman of the Metropolitan Toronto Council.

TNCornellCampbell1.jpg

TNCornellCampbell2.jpg

Last edited:
The original Cornell farmhouse was built in 1836.
This photo is dated "before 1904" - Probably because an alteration/addition was made at that time.

Cornell-Campbellbefore1904.jpg

In recent times the property became known as the Cornell/Campbell House.
Albert Campbell, who had married a Cornell family member, moved into the home in 1944.
He was a popular Scarborough politician and was Reeve of the township for 11 years and then Scarborough's first Mayor in 1967.
In 1967 he became Chairman of the Metropolitan Toronto Council.

TNCornellCampbell1.jpg

TNCornellCampbell2.jpg

They have been doing a lot of work there lately Goldie. I wonder if it will become a tourist attraction. Love to have a look inside one day.

'China Mission' - a church no doubt, that as part of it's 'mission' sent its members to China. How interesting. As a child in the 60s, my grandfather introduced me to a couple of elderly Canadian ladies who spoke fluent Chinese.

'China Mission' - a church no doubt, that as part of it's 'mission' sent its members to China. How interesting. As a child in the 60s, my grandfather introduced me to a couple of elderly Canadian ladies who spoke fluent Chinese.

Scarborough Foreign Mission--China Mission up untill 1952
228.jpg

Quote from the Scarborough Foreign Mission website-
The Scarboro Foreign Mission Society is a Roman Catholic missionary society involved in mission overseas and in Canada.
Founded in 1918 by Fr. John Fraser, a priest of the Archdiocese of Toronto, Scarboro Missions' initial purpose was to train and send missionary priests to China. In those early days, Scarboro Missions was known as the China Mission Seminary.
China's government forced Scarboro missioners to leave the country in 1952. Following that traumatic event, our missioners gradually dispersed to various countries of the world. We now have missions in Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and most recently in Africa.
In keeping with the spirit of the Second Vatican Council and at the urging of lay Catholics, Scarboro Missions began accepting lay missioners in the 1970s. Today, Scarboro priests and lay missioners work side by side and in co-operation with other mission groups all over the world.

No particular reason , just liked the look of the perfect gas station with the great service. Can you get this kind of treatment anymore? Kennedy and Sheppard , courtesy Toronto Archives.

BASheppardandKennedy.jpg

As I've said before, you can always tell an ex-BA station by the quarter-curved parapet detail.

No particular reason , just liked the look of the perfect gas station with the great service. Can you get this kind of treatment anymore? Kennedy and Sheppard , courtesy Toronto Archives.

BASheppardandKennedy.jpg

Jesus, I just look at that car and I get the shivers. No shoulder belts, and a foot from their skulls are those bayonets of steel holding the side windows. I wonder if that car even had lap belts? Great to look at, but I honestly don't think I'd want to go for a ride in it.

And there are some great shots of Toronto circa 1995/6

Oh, yeah, definitely. I remember just being awed by that balcony shot down onto the highway. I could hardly believe that was real and somewhere in Toronto. It took me ages to figure out where that was (401-404-DVP interchange). For me, watching the movie's worth it just to see that shot alone. :)

Back