News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

They say Vegas wasn't built in a day... or was it?:eek:
Btw, are those two mid-rises in the photo above getting retail. A starbucks, cleaner and grocery store could do wonders. Better than I expected so far.

Last edited:
Those aren't part of downtown Markham ... they were built a while ago.
No there's no retail + you really got to see em in the day time, they're ugly ugly ugly ugly.

I sort of like it for the same camp reasons I sort of like those townhouses on Bathurst N of Queen...

Transportfan, I think its quite common for Torontonians to say they live in High Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill, Queen West, Beaches, Swansea, Annex ? (just a few examples)

Torontonians do, but the context goes much deeper in the 905 (which I detailed in the post), particularly in York. People usually don't just give a location strictly by an intersection. They say "-in Thornhill" after. And people don't say they're from Willowdale when they're in Kingston, but if they're from Woodbridge or Unionville they usually do. .

Sorry to rant again, but I had to explain.

Torontonians do, but the context goes much deeper in the 905 (which I detailed in the post), particularly in York. People usually don't just give a location strictly by an intersection. They say "-in Thornhill" after. And people don't say they're from Willowdale when they're in Kingston, but if they're from Woodbridge or Unionville they usually do. .

Sorry to rant again, but I had to explain.

It is not uniform across the 905. People living in areas that have been developed for a while (for example, along the Lakeshore) will usually just use the town/city's name instead of the former towns/villages they live in. To use your example, in Kingston people from Streetsville or Bronte usually just say they're from Mississauga or Oakville. Conversely, people from Toronto in Kingston often say they're from Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke, etc. even though those cities no longer exist.

It is not uniform across the 905. People living in areas that have been developed for a while (for example, along the Lakeshore) will usually just use the town/city's name instead of the former towns/villages they live in. To use your example, in Kingston people from Streetsville or Bronte usually just say they're from Mississauga or Oakville. Conversely, people from Toronto in Kingston often say they're from Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke, etc. even though those cities no longer exist.

Outside of Mississauga, I don't think anyone would say they're from Streetsville or Port Credit, unless the other person asks for a more specific geographic location. Torontonians are far too self-absorbed to know the former (as in 30 years ago) towns of a neighboring municipality that they may or may not have ever visited.

Well, yeah, you'd say you're from Toronto when you're outside of the region, but while in the GTA, most people use the names of their respective neighbourhoods. But then again, even if you lived in Mississauga, and you were out of the country, wouldn't you say you're from the Toronto area or something like that. People outside of Canada don't know Mississauga, much less streetsville.

Outside of Mississauga, I don't think anyone would say they're from Streetsville or Port Credit, unless the other person asks for a more specific geographic location. Torontonians are far too self-absorbed to know the former (as in 30 years ago) towns of a neighboring municipality that they may or may not have ever visited.

I think it also has something to do with real estate spin. Thornhill, for example, is generally known to be a bit more of an affluent area than just Vaughan or Markham in general. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Bronte was upmarketed as being apart of Oakville to avoid the biker "Bronte bum" reputation it had when my parents were growing up there. This is not confined to the 905 by any means, notice how Seaton Village has become the West Annex to real estate agents.

It's unfortunate that some communities were just to small to be remembered except by people interested in history. Very few people would be able to point out places like Summerville, Springfield, Palermo, Trafalgar, or Sheridan on a map, even if that's where they live now.

Perhaps we should get back on topic soon...

Uptown Markham (s of Hwy 7, e of Warden, Times Group, Kirkor, multiple)

What's up with allthe grass in between buildings and shame this plan is completely separated from Downtown Markham by the massive valley.

Full precinct plan here:
http://www.markham.ca/markham/aspc/markhamcentre/PDF/mc_presentation_090305.pdf

markham1-1.jpg

markham2.jpg

markham3.jpg

markham4.jpg

copy-paste

You can tell it is Kirkor based on the buildings (shape and repetitiveness), even though the logo is blurred out on the pdf

Last edited:
Wouldn't jump to any conclusion regarding the buildings just yet?
I'm sure the design is extremely preliminary now!

otherwise, yes, it might be a barf fest :)

I also share the sentiment regarding some of these master planned communities in the GTA. I'm all for green space but in many of these projects there seems to be an overkill of it!

Instead of concentrating on one / two very nice parks that will be busy having a ton of green space that will hardly be used seems like it kind of defeats the point of intensification.

It Looks like a lot of that green space is elevated on the podiums. More green roofs than actual parkland.

Right,

Just podiums then!

It's nice to see Vaughan and Markham finally intensifying as opposed to the last decade of cul-de-sac detached overdosing.

I'm really liking that tree-lined boulevard and that park beside it. Of course, we'll see what it actually ends up looking like.

Back