News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 422     0 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Ellington Park

the building you refer to was marketed as Ellington Park by Del Ridge Homes

EllingtonPark.jpg

while I agree this building's French Chateau architecture looks great in person ... and much better than this rendering (but I'm sure some will hate the faux architecture) ... I think the building is totally out of place and out of context to its surrounding (even if it was located in the middle of Markham Centre)

this building would work if we were in Europe or in an area with classical buildings ... but instead it is located next to a Future Shop :p ... and that lighting at night while it made a STATELY impression the first time I saw the building, as I drive by every night now it makes the building more commercial/government like rather than a residence ... (I think the Town are now getting a lot of complaints from surrounding residents about the excessive lighting used on this building)

oh no no no ............. lol

I know all about these buildings and I have one question for both of you.

Have either of you seen this hideous monstrosity during the day time.

It's ugly as sh*******t :)

Sorry, exaggerating a bit but do it a favor, check it out during the day time - it's pretty bad ...

not fan of it either due to location. In the right location it would look alright but beside a mCdonalds/future shop and no frills, it looks simply out of place.

The concrete horse statues seen in the rendering are HILARIOUS in person (there might be lions as well, I can't remember). When it gets warmer, I can try to grab some pics. These buildings make French Quarter look like SP!RE and might bring more ersatz than any other building I have seen in the GTA.

It's funny the way this area is the new Downtown Markham, yet eveyone calls it Unionville. It seems Unionville is bigger than the "town" that it's a part of. The oddities of the 905.

not quite sure how familiar you are with the Town of Markham Transportfan?

Markham is formed by group of former hamlets, which includes Thornhill, Milliken, Unionville, Markham (proper), Buttonville, and others .....

Unionville would be centred on Unionville Main Street (Old kennedy Road + Hwy 7), however in the past 2 decades new suburban developments have generally described their project as being 'IN' Unionville if its located between the boundaries of Woodbine, McCowan, Major Mackenzie, and Highway 407 ...... so no Markham residents refer to Unionville not because its BIGGER or more important than the Town, its simply a local identity (such as Rosedale in Toronto, Willowdale in North York, Agincourt in Scarborough ... not really a 905 oddity)

Downtown Markham is a development project name created by Remington Group, the future 'core' of Markham is collectively named by the Town as Markham Centre ... the boundaries of Markham Centre as shown in red below ... the Ellington Park buildings are located on the north side of Highway 7, east of Warden Avenue, effectively outside the Markham Centre boundary

MC_2008status.jpg

There's just to many Markham forms going on now so I have no idea where to post this.

The property that just finished construction, on the West side of Town Center BLV. Actually has a bit of retail in the podium ... that impressed me.

Unlike the other development across the street it's right on the street, not surrounded by parking lots.

There's just to many Markham forms going on now so I have no idea where to post this.

The property that just finished construction, on the West side of Town Center BLV. Actually has a bit of retail in the podium ... that impressed me.

Unlike the other development across the street it's right on the street, not surrounded by parking lots.

taal ... the development you speak of would be:

Majestic Court (Markham Ctr, Times Group, 16 + 14s, Kirkor)

MC_times.jpg

I think I've commented on this updated site plan (in some other thread?) but, anyway, it is better than before...but still kinda crappy. Why on earth must we get untold jillions of horrible townhomes at the base of condos, when we can rejig the site plan a bit and get a few intact streets of rowhouses/townhouses? It's always 6 townhouses fronting onto a park, or 4 townhouses next to a huge circular driveway, or 8 townhouses facing an amenities complex. If there are more than about 8 townhouses, they stack them up and give them communal driveways instead of backyards, and have horrible little walkways leading nowhere, usually gated off. What's wrong with a real block of rowhouses, with rowhouses on *both* side?

The site plan showing the blocks with the corners chopped off and the green roof in the middle makes it look like Barcelona's Eixample district...

eixample.jpg

How we wish that the Downtown Markham would actually look like Eixample on the ground...

20070423044142Eixample_Barcelona.jpg

not quite sure how familiar you are with the Town of Markham Transportfan?

Markham is formed by group of former hamlets, which includes Thornhill, Milliken, Unionville, Markham (proper), Buttonville, and others .....

Unionville would be centred on Unionville Main Street (Old kennedy Road + Hwy 7), however in the past 2 decades new suburban developments have generally described their project as being 'IN' Unionville if its located between the boundaries of Woodbine, McCowan, Major Mackenzie, and Highway 407 ...... so no Markham residents refer to Unionville not because its BIGGER or more important than the Town, its simply a local identity (such as Rosedale in Toronto, Willowdale in North York, Agincourt in Scarborough ... not really a 905 oddity)

I know that Markham is made of former communities (although Markham "proper" doesn't really count, as it's simply the old downtown of the enlarged municipality), but my point is that in the 905, those communities are much more recognized as full-fledged communities than they are in Toronto. For example, builders rarely refer to Agincourt or Willowdale in marketing. I know a guy I met in Wasaga Beach who moved and I asked him where to and he said; "Milliken, just south of Unionville". That's like someone saying; "Mount Dennis, south of Weston", which nobody would. Suburbs do indeed have descriptional oddities that you would rarely encounter inside city limits.

Ellington Park - 090114

not to take this OT much further ... but this is the Ellington Park building with the nutting lighting wilson_wu was first alluding to (I must say though some of the detailing on the building was done pretty well :)):

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

Transportfan, I think its quite common for Torontonians to say they live in High Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill, Queen West, Beaches, Swansea, Annex ? (just a few examples)

Where are the above two located exactly ... the ones in your last picture?

Back