News   Aug 12, 2024
 385     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 532     0 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Who would have thought Warden and Highway 7 would be urban some day. Nice!

Maybe people that thought Cornell would be an innovative and proper development who, after its completion, realised it wasn't and started scrambling for a site where it could be done right.

I'm not bitter about Cornell......at all. :cool:

Town Planning Status Report

A staff report providing a status update and revised plan being debated between Town Council and Time Group (page 2 of PDF) ... currently the proposal includes 4,777 residential units and 34,412 m2 (370,000 ft2) of office and retail uses.

Staff Report:
http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2009/Development%20Services/pl090519/Times%20Group%20Inc.htm

Report Figures:
http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2009/Development%20Services/pl090519/times.PDF

High-rise builder goes to OMB
http://www.yorkregion.com/article/97773
Markham
October 13, 2009 11:02 AM

BY KEELY GRASSER

A developer is taking Markham to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) over their massive Markham Centre development.

The appeal is on the development planned for the currently vacant land on Hwy. 7 between Warden Avenue and Sheridan Nurseries. Times Group Corp. has proposed a high-density residential-commercial development, which will include condominium high-rises for the land.

The town has not yet made a decision on the development, but regional Councillor Joe Virgilio, formally the area's ward councillor, said Times Group's only ground of appeal is that the application is taking too long to go forward.

"I assume they feel they want to get on with it sooner than later," he said.

While the Times Group has been working on its development plans, the town has also started to undertake the creation of a precinct plan for that area in Markham Centre.

That's not yet completed.

After a public meeting in June, council decided to ask staff to look at the application in relation to in-the-works planning updates.

Unfortunately, Mr. Virgilio said, reports and studies sometimes take time.

"I was hoping staff would have been ready and we should have been ready for this instead of being in a reactive mode," he said.

This spring, Times Group's lawyers wrote the town to tell them the developer doesn't believe the creation of the precinct plan is in compliance with the approved planning rules for the area.

A call to Times Group wasn't returned.

Mr. Virgilio said he's hoping there can be negotiations between the developer and the town,

Council hasn't decided how to respond to the appeal yet, but Mr. Virgilio said it eventually will take a position.

A pre-hearing for the case is set go later this month.

The Unionville Ratepayers Association, which believes the proposed Times development is not in accordance with the vision for Markham Centre, is also considering getting involved in the OMB process.

However, it noted at its last meeting, it has the choice of being a party, which means it can introduce and cross-examine witnesses and evidence, or a participant, which means it can speak at the hearing but not introduce or cross-examine witnesses or evidence.

Earlier this year, the association, along with two other Unionville groups, was a party in an OMB hearing on whether or not a real estate business should be allowed to inhabit a ground level office on Main Street.

The groups spent a little on a planning expert, but thousands of dollars on legal fees, Harry Eaglesham, the association's treasurer, reported. "But it was a learning experience."

This swath of land is a large piece of Markham Centre, the town's planned high-density, mixed-use on Hwy. 7.

"The whole theme of Markham Centre is right there," Mr. Virgilio said.

It's about time that a major development in Markham Centre finally fronted onto Highway 7! Unlike downtown Markham proper, you're not forced to travel out of your way to visit; you end up here naturally. If Markham has the balls to shrink Highway 7 down to 4 lanes, or even 6 narrower lanes plus a median like Broadway in the upper west side of New York, this area will easily become far more popular than the Disneyish enclave of downtown Markham.

I know this is an old post, but hey I just found this thread. You are aware that Highway 7 in this area is already 4 lanes right? There's just a median for turning lane (which could easily be eliminated) and ridiculously wide shoulders.

I agree with you though that if development were to actually go up to the street on both sides, they could have easily created another NYCC. Oh well.

It does seem though that Times/Kirkor is really trying for that Central Park look with the towers overlooking that park. Would be cool if Markham ended up having the best (or 2nd best) 'urban park' in the GTA.

Here's the preliminary site plan of Markham Uptown (SEC of Warden & Hwy 7); just north of Markham Downtown project.

markhamuptown.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old post, but hey I just found this thread. You are aware that Highway 7 in this area is already 4 lanes right? There's just a median for turning lane (which could easily be eliminated) and ridiculously wide shoulders.

I do believe it will soon be widened into a 6 traffic lane, 2 bus lane, 2 bike lane, landscaped median mega-street soon.

A rendering of what I assume is the first phase. The developer has submitted an appeal to the OMB, but it looks like the town is going to negotiate directly to try and avoid this going to the OMB.

me1.jpg

Times towers trimmed?
http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/622385--times-towers-trimmed

L.H. Tiffany Hsieh | Feb 22, 2010 - 11:59 AM

A developer taking Markham to the Ontario Municipal Board over a massive development at Hwy. 7 and Warden Avenue has scaled back its plans, the town's development services committee learned this week.

The Times Group Corp. is now proposing to build 16 condos at 16 to 18 storeys as opposed to 21 condos at 20 storeys on land adjacent to Sheridan Nurseries in the area of Markham Centre.

They have removed a tower at Birchmount Road and Hwy. 7 and added a second office building. The size of a school it plans to build has been increased.

Times Group owns 88 acres of land here, of which 20 is Rouge River valley land. The proposed plan will use just over 35 per cent of the parcel for development, just under 50 per cent for parks and green space and 15 per cent for public roads.

The developer has agreed to pay the town $4.5 million under Section 37 of Ontario's Planning Act, which obliges developers to make contributions for community benefits such as recreation centres and playgrounds.

"It's remarkable that half of the site is dedicated to parks," said Ira Kagan, lawyer for the Times Group.

"We hope the town will use as much of this money as you can to fix the Rouge Valley. It's the jewel of the land."

Mr. Kagan said the two office buildings match the town and the region's jobs strategies and they will provide auto share programs as well as multi-bike lanes and trails.

However, Councillor Erin Shapero questioned the appropriate amount for the Section 37 contribution, saying with $4.5 million, "We are under-valuing what this community should get."

She said the town needs to deal with this up front.

"I feel very uncomfortable. I don't think we have enough experience to deal with this. This is possibly the largest development in the province. We need some help on how we deal with Section 37," she said.

Regional Councillor Joe Virgilio countered Ms Shapero's views by reminding the committee the Times development will incur a lot of front-end costs that will aid the town.

"I don't want us to give the impression that Times is taking advantage of the town," he said.

Mr. Kagan said his client is facing more than $100 million in development charges and front-end costs alone.

"It's not the case that we took advantage of you," he said. "With the exception of Remington (in Markham Centre), no one is providing more parkland than us."

The Section 37 contribution is one of a handful of issues town staff is currently working to resolve with the Times Group.

The Unionville Ratepayers Association, a party to the Times Group OMB appeal, has asked that community input be considered on the use of Section 37 funds.

All sides hope to avert an eight-week OMB hearing scheduled to begin on May 4.

Phase 1, as shown in canarob's post above, will be located at the southwest corner of Highway 7 + Birchmount Road extension (connecting to Village Parkway) ... and indicated as Block 6 in the masterplan shown by bAuHaUs

Site Plan Application has been submitted by Times Group for Phase 1, to be located on Block 6, southwest of Highway 7 and Birchmount Road extension, as shown in the below key map ...

Uptown-Blk6_key.jpg

Phase 1 is comprised of 3 towers, the south half of block contains two 20 storey towers connected by a 3 storeys podium & green roof, the north half of the block contains one 7 storey tower aligned parallel to Highway 7 ... live/work units will front onto both Highway 7 and Birchmount Road extension ~

Seems like this is another Kirkor special: 'solid citizens' building, as Cliff Korman would describe it himself ~ :cool:

Here's a preview of the current proposal (note: as proposed, not approved)

Site Plan
Uptown-Blk6_sp.jpg

Rendering - Southwest Elevations
Uptown-Blk6_render1.jpg

Rendering - Northwest Elevations
Uptown-Blk6_render2.jpg

Rendering - Northeast Elevations
Uptown-Blk6_render3.jpg

Rendering - Northeast Elevations
Uptown-Blk6_render4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From incoming planning applications:

Warden Ave - Markham Uptown
• Warden Ave.
• Hwy 7 and future Birchmount Road
• To construct a mixed use (residential and commercial) with two twenty storey office towers and a 7 storey building along Hwy 7 and other podium buildings between the office towers.

Novae Res Urbis

MARKHAM SETTLEMENT - Mammoth project approved
May 26, 2010

By Mark Ostler

Uptown_Markham.jpg

The Town of Markham has reached a settlement that will result in thousands of condominium units being built near the town hall. On May 19 the Ontario Municipal Board issued a decision approving the settlement between the town and Times Group Inc. to develop a mixed-use project on the southeast corner of Warden Avenue and Highway 7.

A proposal submitted in 2007 by the site’s previous owner was revised by Times Group after it bought the site in mid-2008. The development will add 4,500 condominium units in a series of buildings up to 20 storeys in height. Two of the buildings will be dedicated to office uses, offering 440,500-square-feet. The project also includes about 300,000-square-feet of retail space. Of the 36 hectares of land on the site, 16.5 hectares will be dedicated to valleyland and park space and 18 hectares will be developed.

Through discussions the developer addressed issues related to the number of residential units, height of the buildings and phasing of the development. Though the OMB approved the settlement, completion could be a long way off.

“This is obviously a very long build out. This could take 20 years to build out,” Times Group’s lawyer Ira Kagan (Kagan, Shastri) said in an interview with NRU.

Kagan added that the developer has a track record of environmentally friendly projects: “That…went a long way towards alleviating many of the concerns that people had.”

Mayor Frank Scarpitti told NRU he is pleased with the settlement, which is the result of numerous meetings among staff, as well as the participation of the Markham Centre Advisory Group, which assists in assessing development of the area. Calling the settlement “a model for great co-operation on all fronts,” Scarpitti noted that through settlement discussions the town was able to nearly double the amount of office space originally proposed by Times Group.

The project could also be a catalyst for further growth, as sewer services will be added along Highway 7 to accommodate the massive project. The sewers will not only serve Times Group’s site, but will also serve vacant lands on the north side of Highway 7, stretching almost all the way from Kennedy Road to Warden Avenue.

“[The town] need this to jump start other developments in the area,” Kagan said. “That sewer is going to allow existing approved developments on the north side of Highway 7 to advance.”

In addition to the sewer services, the town will receive a $6-million Section 37 contribution. The settlement requires $2-million to be paid out right away with the rest doled out over time. Most of those funds will be dedicated to improving the Rouge Valley lands on the site and other town-initiated projects on site.

“It will allow us to make a substantial contribution to the restoration of the Rouge River valleyland and also other community amenities in the area,” Scarpitti said.

The mayor added that the Times Group’s development will mean construction of the Birchmount Road bridge is expedited. The bridge will connect the community north of the Rouge River lands to areas south of the development site, including Unionville GO Station.

Another interesting feature of the project is an elementary school set to be built on a site much smaller than those typically used by the York Region District School Board. Kagan suggested that the school, which has a smaller footprint and is taller than other elementary schools in the region, “could be the new standard in York Region for areas of high intensification.”

The approval of such an intense development reflects Markham’s efforts to bring its official plan into conformity with the provincial growth plan and the region’s population growth forecasts. The town is projected to grow by 67,000 people and 66,000 jobs in the next 21 years.

Town council recently approved a growth management strategy that will mean the current settlement area will be expanded by about 900 hectares, but directs 60 per cent of the town’s new population and job growth to existing areas through intensification.

That vote at council’s May 11 meeting also spelled the defeat of a controversial alternative strategy proposed by councillors Valerie Burke and Erin Shapero to designate all of the existing rural and agricultural lands in the north end of Markham as a so-called “food belt,” prohibiting development and focusing on retaining agricultural uses.

In a presentation late last year, the councillors noted that Markham’s agricultural industry generates $62-million annually and proposed to protect 2,000 hectares of rural and agricultural lands. (See NRU-GTA Edition, February 17, 2010.)

Hi there, I'm new to UT but I've been living in Markham for the past 15 years. I'm a young professional now and looking to purchase a condo in the Downtown Markham area. This project, Uptown Markham by Times Group, is really interesting to me. Good location and close to the Futureshop/NoFrills plaza just north of Hwy 7. I called their Eden Park sales office today and asked when Uptown Markham units are for sale and they said sometime in March/April 2011. I'm looking forward to be one of the first ones to choose a unit in Phase 1, preferably on of the southern building facing south towards downtown and overlooking the park and stream area adjacent to the project.

I will like to get more information about Times Group and Kirkor if anyone here have some insights. From reading several threads in this forum, I hear mixed reviews from Kirkor.

Looking forward to learn more from this forum.

dlam

Back