News   May 10, 2024
 302     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 298     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 410     0 

Potshots at the TTC

TTC should hire more younger people at lower wages and allow people to get fired for poor work...

They did that at the place I use to work at...

It a month it went from a place of rampant corruption, poor customer service, bureaucracy into a model of efficiency.

Yesterday i saw a shameful scene at Young/Bloor where an elderly Oriental woman was asking an African TTC woman worker for directions and she screamed at her "I can't help you because I can only speak english!"

Most of my commutes occur without incident, but unfortunately it's only the bad things that stand out. Here are two additional incidences of poor customer service:

1) I was on the King streetcar and needed to get off at Frederick St. I couldn't remember exactly where that was, except that it was somewhere east of Church. I asked the driver if he could tell me when to get off, and he said that there was no Frederick St. on his route. I said that there absolutely was, and he reiterated that he does not stop there. A kind woman overheard and told me to get off at either Jarvis or Sherbourne.

2) I was riding the Harbourfront streetcar toward Union. I overheard a woman ask the driver how to get to the GO bus terminal. His three word response was "I don't know". Fine, you shouldn't have to know, but at least have the decency to say sorry, I don't know where they are, but if you go up the stairs and follow the signs to Union Station, you can ask someone from GO.

I mentioned this one a while ago. I had a friend visiting me at work at Bay and Wellesley. She wasn't from Toronto, so I tried to make it very simple for her by saying she should take the subway to Wellesley station, the westbound Wellesley bus, and just ask the driver to announce Bay Street. She did as I suggested, and when she asked he barked at her that he announces the stops. I was alarmed when she didn't arrive after an hour, and she finally called me saying that she was at Ossington station. He had announced every single stop except Bay.

Not defending the bus driver, because if he deliberately did this, it is appalling and inexcusable.. but my question is... why didn't you tell your friend to walk from the station over to Bay? Probably would have saved the time waiting fo it too.

^ Maybe next time you can tell your friend to save the $3 and the rudeness and just walk the whole way.

Not defending the bus driver, because if he deliberately did this, it is appalling and inexcusable.. but my question is... why didn't you tell your friend to walk from the station over to Bay? Probably would have saved the time waiting fo it too.

299, it's always the rider's fault, eh? Let's find out who the jerk driver is and report him.

I never said that. I said it is appalling and inexcusable if that was what happened.
I was saying that it's a two minute walk, versus a 13-minute frequency for the 94 Wellesley going westbound from the station... I always recommend the walk over the bus or streetcar for less than a city-block.

^ or I would recommend the 15 blocks that I walked this morning along Queen W when the streetcars were all going Westbound and not one could be found going Eastbound :(

On St. Clair today at Spadina 7 streetcars went by eastbound before one came along westbound. The one that finally showed up had just entered service off of Bathurst, if not for it, it would have been 9 streetcars in the other direction before one came along for me. The irony of the situation is that when I arrived at the stop, there was a lady reading the posted schedule to which I remarked... "Enjoy reading fiction?".

The St. Clair streetcar service is currently running a route that is 2/3rds on a ROW. PLUS the length of the route is only half what it normally is (with only buses west of Oakwood). PLUS the problem in the past of streetcars at St. Clair West station of both directions using one track is moot as that station is closed. But yet there are still 25-30 minute gaps in service and streetcars running bumper-to-bumper westbound at Avenue Road, two stops from the start of the route. What does this mean for when streetcars return to the full length of the route? It's absurd that when travelling from St. Clair West it's quicker to ride the YUS loop to College station than catch a streetcar over to Yonge and down the subway simply due to unreliability, but this has been the case each time I have tried it.

I'm someone who volunteered his time to go door-to-door on the streets north and south of St. Clair extolling and debating the merits of the ROW, gathering signatures, and sustaining verbal abuse. But now with the ROW in partial service I can't help but feel jilted and abandoned by the TTC.

This is no joke, you could have literally walked there faster.

I've been holding off, but I think I may have to start to go car shopping.

If this is the level of service I can come to expect until the cycling season starts again I may have no choice..

Back