News   Mar 28, 2024
 531     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Potshots at the TTC

Lilibet

Member Bio
Reaction score
After finally relinquishing my bike for the season, relegating it to the basement until spring, last week I embarked upon my first week of commuting on the TTC.
UGH!!! Everyday has been a major hassle. Long delays both on the subway and bus, overcrowding to the point where you have to miss a couple of trains and/or buses before being able to board, cranky TTC employees, cranky TTC riders (I'm one of them!).
I know this is not a new complaint and one that is probably shared by many, but I just need to vent!!! I have been late almost every day for work because of delays as well as late getting home. It really sucks.
Hmm... TTC the better way? And they wonder why people turn to their cars...:(:mad:

Bus routes? .. which ones, but yea there are some less then desirable ones. And by that I mean it's all about luck, the timing at times sucks because of bunching. So you could end up waiting 10-15min on what is suppose to be a 2-5min route. If you wait 10-15min you can be assured you'll get a seat :) because there will be 3+ busses in a row. Although on the other hand you could have a bunch of lucky days where the busses are spaced part and you wait no more then 2min for the bus .. a really good example of this is the 39 (Finch east) one of the busiest bus routes.

Subway problems... I dunno about that.. sure at the absolute peak times you might get a little squished or have to wait for one train but that's pretty rare.

make the best of the situation. grab a book/magazine/newspaper. sketch, do puzzles, listen to music. if u have an mp3 player with video, watch a movie or a show you enjoy.

i had to walk from dundas station north to bloor station last friday because our train hit a jumper at dundas and there were no shuttle buses because the fire trucks blocked both northbound lanes on yonge. but by walking on yonge i enjoyed the streetlife in the evening and got some much need physical activity (even though it was only 15 min or so).

make the best of the situation. grab a book/magazine/newspaper. sketch, do puzzles, listen to music. if u have an mp3 player with video, watch a movie or a show you enjoy.

i had to walk from dundas station north to bloor station last friday because our train hit a jumper at dundas and there were no shuttle buses because the fire trucks blocked both northbound lanes on yonge. but by walking on yonge i enjoyed the streetlife in the evening and got some much need physical activity (even though it was only 15 min or so).

Wow what time was that? I left school around 3:30.

Wow what time was that? I left school around 3:30.
i went to watch a movie after class (hitman...what a horrible horrible movie). so this happened aroudn 7.30ish cuz i just made the point to my friend that i'd make it in time to watch the leafs game which started at 8.30.

Leave a bit earlier.

I allow an extra 15 minutes to go from Islington to Bay and the Queens Quay and it took an extra 45 minutes by subway on Friday at 9.00pm.

Why should one want to leave early when TTC cannot run regular service in the first place? Then why should people use TTC in the first place as its not the better way?

I'm feeling exactly the same way. I have given up riding with the arrival of the snow and I find adjusting to the TTC to be extremely painful.

Whereas my 9km commute would reliably take 25 mins by bike, by TTC it is taking 40-90 minutes. Its the unpredictability of the TTC that is most annoying.

Maybe I've just had bad luck. Maybe I've forgotten that it was just as bad last winter. But the service seems much worse than it was, and adds considerable stress to the day.

I have a range of routes to take each way, but none seems better than the rest.

If I wasn't in a job where I could get away with coming in sometime between 9:30 and 10:30, I would have to commute by car. Commuting be car would take about 20 minutes.

It's a sad old Transit system. It needs some service benchmarks if it wants to be anything but a last choice.

I'm very glad that Rocket Riders (largely thanks to Steve Munro, I think) is getting into service issues. Before now, it was rather unique among transit advocacy organizations in that it acted essentially as a cheerleader for TTC management. That's rather different from the Straphangers in New York, for example, which issues a report card for every subway route telling the authority where it has to improve.

Back