News   Jul 16, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 991     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

I don't see a PC minority lasting long. They need a majority if they plan to get anything done.

A PC minority would involve this thing called "compromise". That's a foreign word in the NeoCon dictionary. Hudak strikes me as the kind of guy who would rather go down in flames than let another party modify his proposals.

A Hudak minority would give the Clarke and Campbell governments a run for their money in terms of duration (or lack thereof).

A PC minority would involve this thing called "compromise". That's a foreign word in the NeoCon dictionary. Hudak strikes me as the kind of guy who would rather go down in flames than let another party modify his proposals.

A Hudak minority would give the Clarke and Campbell governments a run for their money in terms of duration (or lack thereof).

It is a lot easier to compromise when there is a natural party to compromise with......the Liberals and NDP are a lot closer philosophically and can more easily find common ground (geez, the Liberals even wrote a dream NDP budget before this election call)...it is harder to find common ground between the PCs and the other two parties.

It really is such a stupid thing to say. It's basically saying, screw our political system that sometimes results in minority governments. We're not working with nobody and would prefer 'neverendumelections' instead.

Just posted an interesting article from Spacing about the political interference re: Scarborough subway by the Liberals last year in the Scrab subway thread.

It is a lot easier to compromise when there is a natural party to compromise with......the Liberals and NDP are a lot closer philosophically and can more easily find common ground (geez, the Liberals even wrote a dream NDP budget before this election call)...it is harder to find common ground between the PCs and the other two parties.

But when it comes to honesty and integrity, the NDP and Liberals are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I do not see how the NDP could form a coalition with the Liberals considering how they have campaigned for the past months on how corrupt these Liberals are.
They either have to quietly support the Liberals while they chose a new leader, or form a coalition with the PC's - using integrity as the key common ground.

But when it comes to honesty and integrity, the NDP and Liberals are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
What a bizarre comment. Why do you assume one has honesty and integrity and the other doesn't. And what about the Tories, who are often caught in lies. For example Hudak's recent lies about 1,000,000 new jobs ... which turns out to the 500,000 jobs that would occur naturally because of growth (the same number created since 2009), and about 75,000 new jobs, assumed to last 8 years each, for another 600,000 or so. Which means that instead of delivering 1,000,000 new jobs, Hudak is actually taking away 25,000 jobs, once you add in his promised cuts. If that isn't the ultimate in dishonesty and lack of integrity I don't know what is.

What a bizarre comment. Why do you assume one has honesty and integrity and the other doesn't. And what about the Tories, who are often caught in lies. For example Hudak's recent lies about 1,000,000 new jobs ... which turns out to the 500,000 jobs that would occur naturally because of growth (the same number created since 2009), and about 75,000 new jobs, assumed to last 8 years each, for another 600,000 or so. Which means that instead of delivering 1,000,000 new jobs, Hudak is actually taking away 25,000 jobs, once you add in his promised cuts. If that isn't the ultimate in dishonesty and lack of integrity I don't know what is.

Why are you comparing a silly campaign promise to the Green and Gas Plant Scandals though?

Besides, now Horwath says this: https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/471988034909790209

But when it comes to honesty and integrity, the NDP and Liberals are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I do not see how the NDP could form a coalition with the Liberals considering how they have campaigned for the past months on how corrupt these Liberals are.
They either have to quietly support the Liberals while they chose a new leader, or form a coalition with the PC's - using integrity as the key common ground.

They could easily argue they are the going to be playing guardian role in the coalition government.

AoD

Or Horwath claiming that the OLP would privatize the TTC....

If people think the PC or NDP are any more honest than the OLP, then they are deluding themselves.

Why are you comparing a silly campaign promise to the Green and Gas Plant Scandals though?
Because it's further evidence that Tim Hudak is a pathological liar. And yet there's never been any evidence that Wynne has lied.

Sorry ... not seeing issue there. Read the documents ... they were concerned with fake twitter accounts being against them. Noting that they've created several handles ... it doesn't say the Metrolinx handles are fake. This seems to suggest more that Howarth is desparate than anything else ...

Though, interestingly, Stephen Harper maintained by far the longest minority government in Canadian political history! Over 5 years in minority parliaments.

So, who knows, maybe there's nothing inherently contradictory about 'neoconcersvatism' (whatever that means) and minority govt.

Though, interestingly, Stephen Harper maintained by far the longest minority government in Canadian political history! Over 5 years in minority parliaments.

So, who knows, maybe there's nothing inherently contradictory about 'neoconcersvatism' (whatever that means) and minority govt.

That's true, but remember:

1) For most of that period, the coalition would have needed to be the Liberals, the NDP, and the Bloc. It's that 3rd one that prevented it.

2) When they did finally come around to forming a coalition, Harper ran to the GG and prorogued Parliament to avoid being turfed.

How are 5 years of 2 Harper minorities far greater than Davis's run from 1975 to 1981? Which is surely the best example, given that the 1977 minority Ontario PC government lasted until 1981 with support at various times from the Ontario NDP and Ontario Liberal party?

I'm not sure there's any comparison to the Harper minorities, which involved 4 major parties.

How are 5 years of 2 Harper minorities far greater than Davis's run from 1975 to 1981? Which is surely the best example, given that the 1977 minority Ontario PC government lasted until 1981 with support at various times from the Ontario NDP and Ontario Liberal party?

I'm not sure there's any comparison to the Harper minorities, which involved 4 major parties.

shhhh we learned above that people who call themselves conservative can't get along with other people and always have short minority governments......throwing out two long lasting "exceptions" is gonna have people doubting that.

Back