News   Aug 14, 2024
 459     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 540     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 510     0 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

Am I the only one who is confused by the "Dufferin County GO" thing in the platform? They would have to take the rail line that runs from the Milton line through downtown Brampton to reach Caledon, and it would be pretty low ridership north of Brampton. (it would be a good way to serve Northern Brampton with GO service however)

I also question what condition that rail line is in.
Yeah I was wondering about that too...

I feel it probably has a lot to do with the fact that they will have a ton of money from that "outside of GTA" fund with nothing to spend it on. Gotta find something, right?

It seems like a Liberal majority gov't is becoming increasingly likely.
Looks more like a Liberal plurality at the moment. Given Horwath's bizarre anti-Liberal attitude, that doesn't preclude an NDP-Tory government ... presumably with Hudak as Premier, and the NDP supporting, even if the Liberals win more seats than any other party.

Looks more like a Liberal plurality at the moment. Given Horwath's bizarre anti-Liberal attitude, that doesn't preclude an NDP-Tory government ... presumably with Hudak as Premier, and the NDP supporting, even if the Liberals win more seats than any other party.

That's what I fear as well. I wouldn't put it beyond the NDP. However I think that's a highly unlikely situation.

I think it's more likely that both Horwath and Hudak will be sacked by their respective parties.

That's what I fear as well. I wouldn't put it beyond the NDP. However I think that's a highly unlikely situation.

I think it's more likely that both Horwath and Hudak will be sacked by their respective parties.

I've personally believed for a while that, of the three parties, the two that don't form a government will be almost certainly changing leaders.

Also an NDP-PC coalition would probably put riots in the streets so...

There are too many disagreements between PC and NDP for a coalition. For example, labour laws. The only thing uniting them would be "respect for the taxtpayer" nonsense and a hate for the Liberals.

If Wynne loses she will likely remain, I see no reason to discount her from valid leadership, she has high personal aprroval numbers and this is only her first election. Hudak will be gone for sure if he loses, Horwath has a chance of staying.

There was a debate with Glen Murray and representatives from the other parts about transit on The Agenda TVO today. It seemed pretty interesting but I only caught part of it.

Glen Murray seemed pretty convincing that the 15 minute electric GO service had good justification.

On one hand I agree. On the other hand, Horwath has poisoned the well so much with all her Liberal corruption and can't govern comments, I wonder how they could support a Liberal minority government, if they have the power to make sure the Liberals aren't in power.

If the Liberals form a minority government, I agree. But also, that's a strong incentive for both Horwath and Hudak to find an alternative to a Liberal minority government. If Hudak was the Premier, and they went for a UK-style coalition government, with Horwath a senior minister, than both might keep their jobs. Would Hudak and Horwath put personal gain above their party ... I fear that they would.

I suppose there's an argument to be made in favour of an NDP-PC coalition. They could say that a majority of voters do not trust the Liberals and that the coalition would better represent the citizens of the province.

I don't think this will be happening. For the NDP to swing so far right that they're supporting a conservative government would kill the credibility of the party. They'll be seen as standing for nothing and would quickly lose much of their support base to the Liberals or Greens.

I suppose there's an argument to be made in favour of an NDP-PC coalition. They could say that a majority of voters do not trust the Liberals and that the coalition would better represent the citizens of the province.

I don't think this will be happening. For the NDP to swing so far right that they're supporting a conservative government would kill the credibility of the party. They'll be seen as standing for nothing and would quickly lose much of their support base to the Liberals or Greens.

Of course the whole "less than a majority agree with the Liberals" is simply how a first-past-the-post system works though. Still, getting so fully in bed with the PCs would be a nail in the coffin for the NDP, as you have said.

It happened in the UK.

Am I the only one who is confused by the "Dufferin County GO" thing in the platform? They would have to take the rail line that runs from the Milton line through downtown Brampton to reach Caledon, and it would be pretty low ridership north of Brampton. (it would be a good way to serve Northern Brampton with GO service however)

I also question what condition that rail line is in.

Orangeville?

I like that you omitted the CBC link. You didn't read it.
Don't read too much into that. I was rushing, and at first glance it looked the same. Now I've got some time, I'm looking closer, and I'm realising the video is there. It's still not saying much ... it's not Hudak's words, but a CBC-TV piece. There's no mention of Eglinton in the TV piece. What a waste of time listening to that. What were Hudak's exact words?

Eglinton is past the cancel point anyway.
No it isn't. They have awarded 2 smalller tunneling contracts for about $500 million for 3 big tunnel segments, of which one is well underway, one isn't started (Allen to Yonge), and one they are just starting he enabling works (Yonge to Brentcliffe). However the big contract of about $4 billion for the stations, track, power, etc. is only to be awarded late this year, or early 2015. They could easily complete the relatively small contract for the tunnels, and defer the main contract for years. They could even cancel the two remaining tunnel segments, pay a penalty, and end up with a short tunnel from Allen to Keele and then mothball that for future use.

There's no way he's going to cut spending, to try and eliminate the deficit as fast as possible, so he can cut taxes ... and also drop $4 billion in a few months on the Eglinton LRT line. It has to be deferred for the Tories spending plan to work.

Back