News   Aug 14, 2024
 912     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 717     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 565     0 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

That said, the optics would be exceptionally poor, considering what happened to Eglinton previously.

AoD

Hudak would probably hold some kind of record as the only politician in Canada (maybe even the free world) to cancel the same type of multi-billion dollar project, in the same place, ~20 years apart.

gweed:

Indeed. Though at the same time he is not dependent on votes in the City of Toronto proper, so he is probably not sensitive to it.

AoD

Last edited:
Don't read too much into that. I was rushing, and at first glance it looked the same. Now I've got some time, I'm looking closer, and I'm realising the video is there. It's still not saying much ... it's not Hudak's words, but a CBC-TV piece. There's no mention of Eglinton in the TV piece. What a waste of time listening to that. What were Hudak's exact words?

No it isn't. They have awarded 2 smalller tunneling contracts for about $500 million for 3 big tunnel segments, of which one is well underway, one isn't started (Allen to Yonge), and one they are just starting he enabling works (Yonge to Brentcliffe). However the big contract of about $4 billion for the stations, track, power, etc. is only to be awarded late this year, or early 2015. They could easily complete the relatively small contract for the tunnels, and defer the main contract for years. They could even cancel the two remaining tunnel segments, pay a penalty, and end up with a short tunnel from Allen to Keele and then mothball that for future use.

There's no way he's going to cut spending, to try and eliminate the deficit as fast as possible, so he can cut taxes ... and also drop $4 billion in a few months on the Eglinton LRT line. It has to be deferred for the Tories spending plan to work.

Why can't Metrolinx just award the $4billion contract with a hefty penalty if cancelled and then the PC cannot do anything?

Why can't Metrolinx just award the $4billion contract with a hefty penalty if cancelled and then the PC cannot do anything?
Why would Metrolinx do that months after the election? Doesn't the cabinet have to sign off on such a large contract?

Metrolinx does not have $4Billion, or the authority to raise taxes/funds on their own without oversight. The government, through the budget, needs to give them that money.

As I'm sure you know, the Liberals attempted to do this and the NDP and Conservatives shot it down.

Thank god practices like that are illegal for public servants. They are supposed to look out for the public interests, not play politics. The public interest is best served by negotiating the best contract possible, and that includes minimal penalties to cancel.

My god, organization of this subreddit has been horrible over the last few days. Duplicate conversations in seperate threads completely unrelated to the thread in question, updating threads with no real news, etc. Could a mod please, please clean it up? Most of it could probably be moved into this thread, which i propose renaming "Moving Ontario Forward" or something similar given that the Liberal infrastructure plan seems like an almost guaranteed go ahead. Most of the off topic discussion can be moved here.

My god, organization of this subreddit has been horrible over the last few days. Duplicate conversations in seperate threads completely unrelated to the thread in question, updating threads with no real news, etc. Could a mod please, please clean it up? Most of it could probably be moved into this thread, which i propose renaming "Moving Ontario Forward" or something similar given that the Liberal infrastructure plan seems like an almost guaranteed go ahead. Most of the off topic discussion can be moved here.

This isn't Reddit ;)

But yes, things have gotten a little out of hand.

Thank god practices like that are illegal for public servants. They are supposed to look out for the public interests, not play politics.

A good suggestion I've heard many times is to run all of these fancy mega projects through the auditor general's office to conduct value for taxpayer cash assessments. Can you imagine how much Liberal waste would be uncovered if their LRT boondoggles were subjected to any real kind of scrutiny??? LOOK OUT FOR THE PUBLIC INTERESTS FOR ONCE

Back