News   Jul 09, 2024
 475     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 534     0 

One City Hall Condos (Diamante, 16s, Hariri Pontarini) COMPLETE

Strangely, given all the praise this building has received in both published sources and on this board, I still find myself indifferent to it. Since so many people whose opinions I value have said that they like the building, I've decided that it's my own failing that I can't warm to it and I've generally been quiet about it. I don't dislike the building, I just can't seem to actually bring myself to like it either.

I look forward to Phase 2. I think Phase 2 might make me like Phase 1 more.

The design is successful in that it stresses horizontality in a very effective way (much like how College Park stresses verticality in a not-so-effective way). It is a very large building, but the various facades are given slightly different treatments that break up the massing, keep the building interesting from all angles and cohesive as a whole. It looks sleek, confident, and not overbearing. A real winner in my books!

Yes-- the horizontal theme on this building is very successful, and very attractive.

It's a simple design, but the details are what make it really great.

Surprisingly, I do like the way it meets the street in a very low-key, not overly "open" way. Most buildings do that anyways these days, so this one got away with a more low-key, darker-looking ground level.

Someone else I believe mentioned that it pulls the surrounding areas together well / fits into its location... I agree!

Strangely, given all the praise this building has received in both published sources and on this board, I still find myself indifferent to it. Since so many people whose opinions I value have said that they like the building, I've decided that it's my own failing that I can't warm to it and I've generally been quiet about it. I don't dislike the building, I just can't seem to actually bring myself to like it either.
Maybe that's its best quality--inspiring the best kind of "indifference"...

Whatever that means. (But it sure seems "Toronto", somehow.)

A couple of facade pics from August 3rd

1city2.jpg

1city1.jpg

best horizontal lines of any condo in T.O.?

i saw it from the ryerson business building quite nice.

I heard something about a massive 50+ story tower called city hall phase 2?? :confused:

Yeah... old news, yet nothing seems to be happening with phase 2 currently. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

I don't think this building had any chipped concrete issues. Did it?

And does anyone know about the tall Phase 2 tower? What happened to that?!

And does anyone know about the tall Phase 2 tower? What happened to that?!

My understand is that it will go up for sale after "The Florian" is sold and underway.

Developer is small enough that one project at a time is enough, and they decided to wait until Dundas reconstruction and the Ryerson building were complete.

Excellent news that it is still on the way..that corner needs some serious love. I think the Bay/Dundas/Chestnut area is probably the ugliest in central Toronto, between the awful smokestack, parking lots, and very uninspiring architecture. Something like this might kick-start matters.

I think the Bay/Dundas/Chestnut area is probably the ugliest in central Toronto, between the awful smokestack, parking lots, and very uninspiring architecture.

I agree, but I also find that that area has a natural urban feel to it that most parts of the city lack. I'm not sure I can get used to shiny new buildings in that area.

And I tend to think of that John Andrews-esque smokestack as more worthy of praise than damnation...

Back