News   Jul 09, 2024
 619     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 570     0 

One City Hall Condos (Diamante, 16s, Hariri Pontarini) COMPLETE

Re: A rare kind of developer

Oh I don't know. The article profiles someone who is a "player" in Toronto, and who apparently has the drive and savvy to get things done a bit differently than the usual.

I am familiar with Phoebe, on Soho Street, and consider it to be one of the very best developments in Toronto.

And 1CH is sublime proof that you can do good "Toronto Style" without resorting to point towers every which way.

Speaking of sublime (albeit frivolous), *somebody* has to raise the matter (reinforced by the accompanying photo) of Julie Di Lorenzo being a DILF (Developer I'd Like to...)
1207lorenzobig.jpg

Nice midrise, although the layout could have been designed better, but after all ' everything is in the eye of the beholder':rollin :

1207lorenzobig.jpg

yeah the layout needs to be more...feminine. currently it's gross

And this is a part of our ongoing experiment as to why this forum does not have more (active) female members.

I think we had one, once.

I suppose construction truly is one of the Manly Arts.

Well, one thing about being a DILF, it reverses nature's course, i.e. usually *we're* the ones getting screwed by the developers...

Oh, and I'd also argue that even if this forum had a larger female contingent, they'd be (ideally) no less prone to dishing it out over JDL's Nigella-of-the-development-industry looks, etc. The whole gender-neutral gossip/snark dynamic. Sometimes, I wish UT had a little more Gawker to it...

Anyway, I reiterate my own being impressed by how well 1CH's turned out, and how little surprisingly little buzz that's generated here--perhaps because this kind of retro-Benvenuto low/midrise form is too subtle for skyscraper fanatics to go ga-ga over. But it's a fantastic urban model, and I can't help foreseeing more like it. (And besides Benvenuto, it reminds me of influential archetypes like SOM's 1950 Manhattan House...)
ManhattanOverview.jpg

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the power of community came to her from her family's hometown of Abruzzo in Italy's central mountains not far from the Adriatic Sea
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm nit-picking, but Abruzzo is an Italian province, not a town.

Hehehe Lisa Rochon lacs some Geography basics, her error
is same as if someone from Italy would call Alberta a nice Canadian prairie town
Gooooooooooooooooooo Lisaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

On that position she shouldn't allow herself such a mistakes,
that isn't forum for god sake >:

Speaking of female imagery, just an aside: that "Style Changes Everything" Sony Bravia super-ad on the wall of that building next door to 1 City Hall leaves me thinking, for some reason, of a Royal Bank Plaza in the midst of a lineup of T-D Centre towers...

Diamante builds nice-looking buildings. Take a look at the one on the northeast corner of Bay and College. They even took a chance knowing that that they wouldn't have much room for their equipment.

That, + the octagonalizing one at the top of Bay, reflects Diamante in its "make everything look ultra-white and blanched" phase. I guess they've hived all that off to Robert Stern, now...

1 City Hall

I can’t find the official thread so I’ll post this here for now:

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

Close-up of fritted glass balconies.

IMG_2798.jpg

Easily one of the best new condo projects in downtown Toronto - very sophisticated design. It's all about the details with this one.

Back