News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

One City Hall Condos (Diamante, 16s, Hariri Pontarini) COMPLETE

Reading today's Star article on TTC stations named after corporations (a good idea imho: who cares who pays the bills as long as they're paid and commuters benefit) it struck me that the dead and empty space at NPS could be sold to Walmart! Everyone shops at walmart: it's the new "town hall!" :)

Move in & move out fee!!! Ridiculous

After a week or so looking for a new place, we settled for this bldg, One City Hall. We're relocating from another downtown condo to this one. After making arrangement with the mover & the service elevator @ the condo we're moving out.. We placed a call to One City Hall for a service elevator... that's when we were hit with this $125.00 MOVE-IN fee..... We were told that in order to use the service elevator.. We've to have $250.00 ready.. $125.00 deposit & another $125.00 to pay for the service elevator.. We can understand leaving a deposit in case there's damage done by the mover... But to pay $125.00 just to use the service elevator is ridiculous... This's a service provided to the resident, much like using the pool or TV room in the building... We've lived in various downtown condo & never once had we needed to PAY for it...

Had we knew that we have to PAY for such a fee, we'd have picked another building... so for those of you who're interested in this building... be aware THERE'S A MOVE IN Fee.. Plus the lady said YOU PAY THE SAME AMOUNT WHEN YOU MOVE OUT... a MOVE OUT FEE... so there u go your $250.00.....

it does seem ridiculous, but in the general scheme of moving this is pocket change right? The thing is when you move everybody comes out of the woodwork to grab some of your money: banks, movers, lawyers, real estate agents, city land transfer tax (if its a house). $125 is not really a lot of money. I'd just pay it and forget it - not worth the aggrevation. I dont suppsose there's any option at this point. You cant just cancel the whole deal over $125...

^ I don't think this is the right thread for such an issue (more real estate issue). I've never heard of this type of fee, but there are always unexpected fees associated with any large purchase. For example, I recently purchased a car with 0% financing, essentially why I bought it at the time, an lo- and behold, there is a $75 administration fee for the financing agreement. Was I going to buy something else? No, that's what I wanted and I sucked it up. $250 might seem like a lot, but considering that the condo might have cost $250,000, that's a 0.1% increase. Maybe it's just me, but that is not going to change my decision on where I am going to live if that's where I want to live (based on my personal choices).

I was going to say, after dropping $15,000 on closing costs you'd think $125 would be sort of negligible.

it does seem ridiculous, but in the general scheme of moving this is pocket change right? The thing is when you move everybody comes out of the woodwork to grab some of your money: banks, movers, lawyers, real estate agents, city land transfer tax (if its a house). $125 is not really a lot of money. I'd just pay it and forget it - not worth the aggrevation. I dont suppsose there's any option at this point. You cant just cancel the whole deal over $125...
Very true, although you pay land transfer tax even if it's a condo. Think of it as "sky transfer tax." :p

I was going to say, after dropping $15,000 on closing costs you'd think $125 would be sort of negligible.

That's assuming that someone has endless piles of money lying around to shell out to the next person making a demand. After dropping something like $40,000 in cash as a down payment, thousands in upgrade costs, thousands more in closing costs and land transfer taxes, every extra dollar out begins to matter.

I'm not suggesting someone requires endless amounts of money to buy real estate, but someone in a position to be putting out that sort of money ought to have enough of a buffer that a variance of .8% (what $125 on $15,000 represents) won't really matter fiscally.

Is there advertising in condo elevators? Captivate Advertising, where are you? In the 1000 unit Aura building, that could make sense.

Or billboards hanging off condos along the Gardiner? If I was on the board at any C.P condo, I'd recommend that idea be implemented asap!

That way, all annoying extra costs could be covered....

Let's hang the billboard off the condo so that it covers your windows, ha ha :D

Seriously, hasn't that been done already, at some high-rise up near the north end of the Don Valley Parkway? A new definition of "tacky", in my opinion, and I really hope it doesn't spread.

A Longo's store ("The Market by Longos) will be opening at the base of One City Hall. It looks like it is taking up all of the retail space. Great news for the area!

Back