2.9K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.3K     2 

One City Hall Condos (Diamante, 16s, Hariri Pontarini) COMPLETE

Christopher Hume on Bay-Dundas neighbourhood

21st century is right at home in Bay-Dundas neighbourhood
Oct 06, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Dundas and Bay may not be everyone's idea of a residential neighbourhood, but get used to it.

Like the rest of downtown Toronto, the area now finds itself being transformed into a haven of New Age domesticity. And why not? Brilliantly located, close to everything, including Chinatown, city hall, and the Eaton Centre, this is what urban life is supposed to be all about. Streetcars (the 505 route), buses (the Bay line), hotels, restaurants and cultural facilities – this is a district that has a lot going for it.

In the 21st century, when the environment is the No. 1 issue, when the need to intensify our use of the city is greater than ever, it only makes sense that so many condos would have appeared downtown. Though these residential towers wouldn't have made sense even a decade or two ago, that's all changed now.

There will be anxiety about the lack of sites appropriate for the new office towers that will carry into the future, but getting people downtown is a good way to slow, however slightly, the rush to sprawl.

To put it simply, the infrastructure, though battered and long-neglected, already exists here. The Big Pipe was laid decades ago as were the streetcar tracks.

Not every building that was constructed does what it should for the neighbourhood; but even the Ryerson business school, on the southeast corner of Dundas and Bay, despite its less-than-stellar architecture, brings new meaning to the term mixed-use.

In addition to the school, the building contains a parking garage and a Canadian Tire. Parking and hardware – two things Torontonians have complained for years they can't get enough of downtown.

The transformation is far from complete, and one imagines that given another few years, the number of permanent residents will have increased exponentially. That's all good news, both for them and the city.

chume@thestar.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONDO CRITIC

ONE CITY HALL:

(111 Elizabeth St.) This sleek, retro-modernist structure is one of the most engaging condos to appear on the skyline in some time.

Though not a highrise, it's big enough that its slab-like configuration doesn't look heavy and earthbound.

The strong horizontal lines of the exterior, established through long balconies that extend the length of the building, add a nice streamlined kind of aesthetic to the complex.

The west façade, with its maze-like surfaces, is especially striking.

The result is a piece of architecture that reads as a coherent whole rather than something extruded from a machine. The ratio between height and size seems appropriate; it feels right.

The building doesn't dominate the neighbourhood, but brings new life and clarity to a block that was cluttered and chaotic.

GRADE: A

One City Hall (sells office is moving)

I passed today Bay and Dundas and I saw demolation company "Lion" putting fences around former sells office of One city hall. Initially I thought, there may be phase II is underway "two city hall" then I look around and I found no construction proposal is being posted. presumedly, they just want to dismantle the office building and again the space is use by parking lot. Does any have any idea what they are going to build in that site even though rumuor is saying, phase II is failed to sell out, and private company is interesting to build three storey building for future retail and restuarants.

I don't know. Four or five stories seems about right for that corner. A 50-storey thinger behind City Hall never really appealed to me.

Last time I drove by I noticed that the retail in phase I is not let yet? I wonder if this is a lack of interest or fussiness on the part of the leasing company. I also noticed that Dundas between University and Yonge has really picked up; this should make the land that the bus terminal sits on even more attractive to developers when the station relocates to Union next year.

BTW a 50 storey tower is more than appropriate for this location as is a very large format retail space.

I have to agree that a tall tower is inappropriate for this location. It'd ruin the view of City Hall.. it's just like the concerns of a 60 storey tower on the current Four Seasons Site -- inappropriate if it pops up behind the view of Queens Park.

I also noticed that Dundas between University and Yonge has really picked up;

Credit the Ryerson Business School/Best Buy/Canadian Tire for this. It has made a major impact on street life.

I never thought the words "Best Buy" "Canadian Tire" and "Street Life" would be in the same sentence, but that just bodes of how appropriate that project has been for the area

definitely, the wide sidewalks are welcome and the stores have a great presence from the street that attract passerby.

It's funny, when the building was getting close to completion I hated it and really missed that little shabby abandoned quasi-park that used to occupy the corner, but now that the building is open I do really love it for the impact it's had on Dundas

Back