News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

honestly is ML so broke that they need to sacrifice 2/3s their screen to ads? next train displays should only be for ETAs only!
I don't think ML is broke, it just likely has a mandate to lower or eliminate government subsidies. Every dollar earned from an ad is a dollar less the Provincial government has to spend subsidizing GO operations.

I don't think ML is broke, it just likely has a mandate to lower or eliminate government subsidies. Every dollar earned from an ad is a dollar less the Provincial government has to spend subsidizing GO operations.
I don't object to advertising on transit, but there's certain things that should just not be done, in my book, and putting advertising on information boards is one of them.

And this is mild compared to the displays the TTC has. Unless you happen to be standing close to the board, or have a telephoto lens on your person, you can't see the next train arrival time at all. That information should be in the maximum possible size, viewable from all distances along the platform. There are loads of blank walls in every station where advertisement boards could be put up, and as for the news that they display, well, no one needs to see that. I'm honestly surprised they didn't straight up put a feed from CP24 and be done with it. Because when I'm waiting for a train (or eating in a fast food joint), there is nothing that will improve my mood quicker than those parasites informing me that somewhere in the world, someone committed a heinous crime.

The old platform 1 at Exhibition Station has been entirely removed now. Also, most of the fencing for the temporary pedestrian bridge has been installed, so no chance of it being fully protected from weather.

In another news, I was doored while cycling last week and fractured a bone in my right hand so it will just be crappy cell shots for the next while. Just taking a horizontal shot with my phone is very difficult right now but I'm determined to document this project from start to finish.

20240226_145133.jpg
20240226_145159.jpg

The old platform 1 at Exhibition Station has been entirely removed now. Also, most of the fencing for the temporary pedestrian bridge has been installed, so no chance of it being fully protected from weather.

In another news, I was doored while cycling last week and fractured a bone in my right hand so it will just be crappy cell shots for the next while. Just taking a horizontal shot with my phone is very difficult right now but I'm determined to document this project from start to finish.
curious on why they put so much effort on what looks like an enclosed stair yet left the bridge as an afterthought....

curious on why they put so much effort on what looks like an enclosed stair yet left the bridge as an afterthought....

That confused me too.
I believe the bridge will be temporary. The final GO/Ontario Line Station building will have it's own conveyance between tracks and entrance/exits

I believe the bridge will be temporary. The final GO/Ontario Line Station building will have it's own conveyance between tracks and entrance/exits

It's absolutely temporary. What's confusing us is that they have fully enclosed the stairs but not the actual bridge portion. Why even bother doing the stairs?

It's absolutely temporary. What's confusing us is that they have fully enclosed the stairs but not the actual bridge portion. Why even bother doing the stairs?
It’s probably to protect the stairs from the elements as they can get slippery when wet and I’m assuming metro line doesn’t want any incidents to occur

It’s probably to protect the stairs from the elements as they can get slippery when wet and I’m assuming metro line doesn’t want any incidents to occur
Doesn't really make sense.. they already went sp far with the stairs... how much more to do a stretch of glass? Now they'll need extra sets of doors and powered door openers at each end. Since this structure will be up for at least 5 years might as well make it look decent instead of half ass but still just as expensive

Back