News   Jul 16, 2024
 422     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 535     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

According to this page, the new Hamilton GO station will be called "West Harbour", is it something new or was it always planned to be called this way?
First I've head.

Renaming it isn't a bad idea, given that both GO stations are near James Street North! Not sure about the name though. I that name already used for the area? I'd have hoped it would have had Hamilton in the name. Hamilton North or Hamilton North End maybe.

First I've head.

Renaming it isn't a bad idea, given that both GO stations are near James Street North! Not sure about the name though. I that name already used for the area? I'd have hoped it would have had Hamilton in the name. Hamilton North or Hamilton North End maybe.

Hamilton Harbour? To me, this names smells like "Allandale Waterfront" all over again. IMO, it should be "Barrie Waterfront". You should be able to glance at a map and tell generally where a station is. "West Harbour" means practically nothing to anyone outside of Hamilton.

I had wondered how they would cram the word "Hamilton" into the name, since there is a station named "Hamilton" and then there's "James St. North" which may not actually sound like a Hamilton destination. They could use "Hamilton James St N GO" on the map, but that's bit of a messy name compared to a lot of other GO station names. So they probably should rename it before they open it, but I'm not sure what to, either. If "CamelCase" words were allowed, I'd suggest "Hamilton JamesNorth GO" and "Hamilton Downtown GO" as a compromise to fit nicer on videoboards.

GO stations, as far as I know, do not have "Street" in their names.
And? That isn't some sort of immutable law - like the law of conservation of energy or something.

Even Hamilton Downtown GO and Hamilton Harbor GO would probably be better than "Hamilton GO" and "West Harbour GO"

Hamilton Harbour? To me, this names smells like "Allandale Waterfront" all over again. IMO, it should be "Barrie Waterfront". You should be able to glance at a map and tell generally where a station is. "West Harbour" means practically nothing to anyone outside of Hamilton.

GO's policy is not to repeat any part of a station's name. A while back, Oakville West became Bronte; Burlington East became Appleby. The City of Barrie wanted "Waterfront" in the name of the new station in Allandale; at least Allandale is the historic name of the railway station there.

But "West Harbour" is incredibly generic and meaningless.

I like Hamilton Harbour, nice suggestion gweed! It's descriptive, simple and not awkward.

I'd prefer Hamilton Harbour too, despite GO's conventions.

Thanks! I may tweet GO with that suggestion, haha. It's early enough in the process that hopefully nothing has been set in stone.

GO's policy is not to repeat any part of a station's name. A while back, Oakville West became Bronte; Burlington East became Appleby. The City of Barrie wanted "Waterfront" in the name of the new station in Allandale; at least Allandale is the historic name of the railway station there.

But "West Harbour" is incredibly generic and meaningless.

I can understand why they wouldn't want names that are too similar. I just think it's important to include the larger geographic name in at least one of the stations in that area, preferably the main station (ex: Burlington, Oakville, Brampton, etc). Hamilton James, IMO, fits that bill.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Hamilton Harbour too, despite GO's conventions.

It is a good name and, frankly, I am not a fan of the "convention". I think the opposite of GO and think the city name should be in each GO station name.

As someone who does not live in Oakville, Oakville West meant more to me than "Bronte". Even in my own hometown....I think Brampton West - Brampton Centre - Brampton East is a better set of names than Mt. Pleasant - Brampton - Bramalea.

It is a good name and, frankly, I am not a fan of the "convention". I think the opposite of GO and think the city name should be in each GO station name.

As someone who does not live in Oakville, Oakville West meant more to me than "Bronte". Even in my own hometown....I think Brampton West - Brampton Centre - Brampton East is a better set of names than Mt. Pleasant - Brampton - Bramalea.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. For me personally, intermediate stations can be named after the road or prominent local place that they're near/on, but I think the central station within a community should be reflective of that community's name. For example, I think the TTC's naming convention of having "______ Centre" works great. I'd be fine with renaming Unionville "Markham Centre", since it will be in the future downtown Markham. Ditto for renaming Brampton "Brampton Centre", or Kitchener "Kitchener Centre" (especially if a station is added in either west or east Kitchener). "Hamilton Centre" would also work, but Harbour also implies a focal point.

I can understand why they wouldn't want names that are too similar. I just think it's important to include the larger geographic name in at least one of the stations in that area, preferably the main station (ex: Burlington, Oakville, Brampton, etc). Hamilton James, IMO, fits that bill.

:confused:

Last time I checked, the word "Hamilton" is included in the name of the main station in the area.

Since the new James North and the existing Hunter Street stations will both be termini (for the short term at least), I can see the need for very distinct names when they'll be on destination signs and spoken in announcements.

But many metro systems repeat station names - even Chicago's L has two stations called "Chicago," which in that case is potentially confusing. But "Hunter Street GO Centre" (a slight renaming for the current Hamilton station) and "Hamilton Harbour" could work.

Back