News   Jul 16, 2024
 228     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

That's the A-Line LRT.

A few years ago, we had a 25-year concept of five LRT's, involving the B, L, A, S, T lines. The B-Line is the main line, and the one we want funded.

The A-Line is the "spur" you talk off. That is the James Street LRT that reaches both GO stations and the airport. Ironically, some of the city councillor resistance to getting our B-Line LRT getting built is currently the Mountain (Hamilton's "905" equivalent) is getting no LRT at first. (Hey -- give Hamilton a little credit where due -- we're, at least, more unamious on the LRT than Scarborough is, still a majority in favor).

Some people say Hamilton LRT is dead, but it is not really yet -- just kicked down the road further -- Within a few weeks, we may be hearing an announcement of a bus rapid transit expansion followed by a promise of LRT money that goes beyond the current elections (kicking the can further down the road), since Hurontario and other LRTs just got funding announcements. A expansion of the existing B-Line Express to frequent 24/7 service may be a consolation prize.

Back on topic, it's possible hourly AD2W goes to Hunter until the A-line gets built, then 15-min electrified AD2W goes to West Harbour. Hourly AD2W is feasible with freight sharing, but not 15-min. Rail-to-rail grade separation is needed for 1`5-min electrified service, but tunnel expansion would not be needed and would be much cheaper to West Harbour than downtown. It also buys Metrolinx time to get the B-line built, then the A-line built (in succeeding years). It won't be a spur, the mountain (905 equivalent) will be demanding their share, and the catchet of an airport train (and also the airport lands employment land talk/future office parks), politicking will ensure that if the A-Line gets built, it gets built both in the lower city and upper city, with the bonus of linking both GO stations to Hamilton's international airport.

Ironically, the mountain (like 905) needs to let the lower city (like 416) build the B-Line LRT, in order for the A-Line to be more likely to be built.

Yup, I'm familiar with the BLAST proposal. I'm saying that, if you want to potentially get RER service sooner, that the City can build the part of the A-Line from downtown to James North as part of the B-Line project, and run two separate routes along the B-Line: one that goes straight through, and one that detours to James North. Not only would that provide the connectivity that James North needs to become THE GO hub for downtown Hamilton, it may also accelerate the timeline for the A-Line LRT, since part of it will already exist. The City can even potentially negotiate a deal with Metrolinx to have them build the spur from their own funds, since it would save them money down the road not having to do the megaproject for Hunter.

Thanks for the clarifications guys! Much of the pro for Hunter seems to be the proximity to the B-Line LRT. I wonder if it could be possible to include a spur track from the B-Line corridor to James North, via James St. This would in essence be building a small part of the A-Line along with the B-Line. This would allow them to run 2 services on the same track: One that goes straight along the B-Line corridor, and another that takes a jog down James to James North. This would negate the concerns about accessibility to the LRT, and may even be preferable, because you'd have a direct connection, as opposed to Hunter which is a couple blocks away.

From an operations perspective, James North seems like the better deal. The biggest drawback is the local connectivity. If that spur can be built, that would be a huge plus in favour of James North. I would imagine that the cost wouldn't be that substantial either, as it's only a few blocks of LRT.

You're forgetting the surrounding land use. Hunter is slab-dab in the middle of a 200-year-old downtown core, in walking distance to office buildings and other destinations. West Harbour is beside a low-rise mature residential neighbourhood, quite isolated from most of the rest of the city. There might besome potential mid-rise redevelopment opportunities on nearby brownfields someday, but for now it's jammed up against a big ugly rail yard that's not going anywhere in the near term and parkland that will never be developed.

If a 1 km LRT spur directly to West Harbour is an option, than surely a 300m LRT spur to Hamilton GO Centre is an even easier one. Also, I don't think anyone has ever shown whether an LRT could physically fit on the James Street right of way. From my recollection it's more like Queen Street West in terms of dimensions, unlike King and Main which are more Hurontarioesque.

There's a lot of employment around Hunter Street within comfortable walking distance. Good GO service would only help, and could offer a potential for "reverse commuting", filling the empty trains heading into Hamilton in the AM and out of Hamilton in the PM.

Hunter Street is also already directly served by most of the buses that serve the mountain which pass right by the station on the way to the McNab terminal. Its local transit connections are absolutely fantastic.

Hamilton is not a suburb like Oakville or Burlington. It's far more of a "destination" for transit-oriented trips than those other places. Hunter Street typifies the type of location that we say we want to encourage the development of (it's urban, it has a friendlier-to-pedestrians pre-war built form and excellent transit connections). Spending millions to improve service to the Hunter Street station would be money well-spent IMO.

To me, sending most trains to West Harbour because it's easier would be like terminating Lakeshore West GO trains at Exhibition Station. Even with the 509 connection, it's clear that a Exhibition terminus would not be nearly as well-used or development-supportive as bringing the trains to Union where they are comfortable walking distance from the central core.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm familiar with the BLAST proposal. I'm saying that, if you want to potentially get RER service sooner, that the City can build the part of the A-Line from downtown to James North as part of the B-Line project, and run two separate routes along the B-Line: one that goes straight through, and one that detours to James North. Not only would that provide the connectivity that James North needs to become THE GO hub for downtown Hamilton, it may also accelerate the timeline for the A-Line LRT, since part of it will already exist. The City can even potentially negotiate a deal with Metrolinx to have them build the spur from their own funds, since it would save them money down the road not having to do the megaproject for Hunter.

Spurs are best avoided. Jarrett Walker has a good article on the issue.

http://www.humantransit.org/2009/04/be-on-the-way.html

The money for the spur would be better put towards resolving the tunnel issue.

EDIT:
On a (non-money-saving) side note, although I'm generally VERY skeptical about the downtown circulator streetcars that a bunch of US cities are building, James Street from the Harbour to St. Joseph's Hospital is one of the few places where I think one might make some sense.

Last edited:
You both make very valid points. If Hunter was a better thru-line and didn't have the tunnel constricting flow, I'd be 100% in favour of using that. As it stands though, it sounds like it would require a GTS-like megaproject in order to bring Hunter up to RER levels. It's too bad that the only connecting track south of Hunter and James stations is a little at-grade spur. That would have been a good opportunity to run Niagara-bound trains into Hunter as well, eliminating the need for James North.

Cons of James Street North
- Not near Hamilton LRT route (B-Line)

During the era where A-line isn't even remotely funded, and the B-Line is uncertain, than Hunter is far better as the AD2W terminus. And it will probably be 20+ years before the A-line LRT gets built to JamesNorth, anyway.

The whole business with the B-Line is a gong show, I can't believe the shenanigans going on there. Putting that aside, The Big Move states the A-Line is supposed to be built within the 15-year time frame (by 2023), but I'd be curious if part of it could be built sooner (West Harbour to downtown).

You both make very valid points. If Hunter was a better thru-line and didn't have the tunnel constricting flow, I'd be 100% in favour of using that. As it stands though, it sounds like it would require a GTS-like megaproject in order to bring Hunter up to RER levels. It's too bad that the only connecting track south of Hunter and James stations is a little at-grade spur. That would have been a good opportunity to run Niagara-bound trains into Hunter as well, eliminating the need for James North.

There's a tunnel which is wide enough for double tracks. The issue is that CP has put a single track down the middle so that their double-stack container trains can fit through (as the arched tunnel ceiling is higher in the middle). The line is double tracked on both ends of the tunnel. It wouldn't be easy to fix, but I'd hardly call it "a GTS-like megaproject".

There's a tunnel which is wide enough for double tracks. The issue is that CP has put a single track down the middle so that their double-stack container trains can fit through (as the arched tunnel ceiling is higher in the middle). The line is double tracked on both ends of the tunnel. It wouldn't be easy to fix, but I'd hardly call it "a GTS-like megaproject".

But for an RER level of service you'd likely need at least 3 tracks (1 for CPR, 2 for RER). That would involve widening the entire corridor, in addition to rebuilding the tunnel. Then you have the flyover/unders that would be required between Hamilton and Aldershot. Not quite on the same scale as the GTS, you're right, but certainly nothing to sneeze at, especially given the topography of the area.

But for an RER level of service you'd likely need at least 3 tracks (1 for CPR, 2 for RER). That would involve widening the entire corridor, in addition to rebuilding the tunnel. Then you have the flyover/unders that would be required between Hamilton and Aldershot. Not quite on the same scale as the GTS, you're right, but certainly nothing to sneeze at, especially given the topography of the area.

A short single track section just before the line terminus shouldn't cause any major issues. (Consider UP Express with its single-track terminus at Union.)

There aren't any more flyovers/unders needed than with West Harbour. The RER is able to remain on the "lake side" all the way through and doesn't need to cross the CP freight tracks at any point.

It does have to cross the CN freight tracks, but that is true for both the Hunter Street and West Harbour options.

Yeah, there might be some additional challenges fitting it in, but I'm suggesting that the additional benefits outweigh the costs.

A short single track section just before the line terminus shouldn't cause any major issues. (Consider UP Express with its single-track terminus at Union.)

There aren't any more flyovers/unders needed than with West Harbour. The RER is able to remain on the "lake side" all the way through and doesn't need to cross the CP freight tracks at any point.

It does have to cross the CN freight tracks, but that is true for both the Hunter Street and West Harbour options.

Yeah, there might be some additional challenges fitting it in, but I'm suggesting that the additional benefits outweigh the costs.

Fair enough, thanks for the analysis! Is there any reasonable way of connecting the tracks south of Hunter back up with the CN mainline to Niagara? Or is Hunter the forever terminus of that RER line? Or let me phrase that another way: are there any reasonable extension options from Hunter?

Last edited:
But for an RER level of service you'd likely need at least 3 tracks (1 for CPR, 2 for RER). That would involve widening the entire corridor, in addition to rebuilding the tunnel.
In the corridor leading up to the tunnel, the corridor has room only for single track, but there are sloping embankments. There appears enough room to trenchwall both sides to turn 1 track into 3 track without expropriating most backyards (or only 1-2 feet at most). Or double-tracking (trenchwalling, and shifting existing track) with easily zero expropriation needed. So, it could be feasible, at least from a passing-track perspective. So that freight trains and GO trains can pass each other, only contending with one crossover and the tunnel entrance. Delays can be controlled to an extent that makes hourly two-way service possible with corridor sharing with CP with only two points of contention (the crossover and the tunnel). For RER and the tunnel too, it would not even be GTS scale, but costs would need to be weighed versus electrifying to West Harbour instead.

I can tell there's going to be a bit of squirming and writhing at some Metrolinx meetings over the roles of Hamilton GO downtown and West Harbour GO, considering it is all heavily dependant on phasing.

In twenty to thirty years, West Harbour could even someday become a more major interchange/intermodal station, with A-Line LRT, Niagara Express rail terminus, and Lakeshore West rail terminus, and several bus lines. The concept of the Niagara Express came up recently as the idea of splitting Lakeshore West separately of a Hamilton-to-Niagara train, so that delays at the Welland canal don't interfere with Lakeshore West train schedules. Essentially Lakeshore West broken into two sections (Union-Hamilton, and Hamilton-Niagara). Metrolinx had a warm reception to that idea during a recent meeting, so it might gradually gain some traction over the years. It saves nearly a billion dollars (no canal-to-rail separation needed, keep using existing delay-prone drawbridge instead) which pay for most of the cost of an A-Line LRT, and a future major West Harbour station expansion. Maybe even a LIUNA station buyback, who knows? People coming from Niagara would transfer trains at West Harbour. Hamilton Mountain commuters, as well as Airport travellers, would transfer between A-Line LRT and either the Niagara or Toronto train. A-Line would run typically frequent service (7min or better). Frequent all day 15-min-and-better RER service on fast-performing Lakeshore West RER, removes some of the sting (no timetable worry) of not having a single-seat-ride from Niagara Falls. The role of West Harbour is flexible enough to gain further prominence that may actually someday surpass Hamilton Downtown, but not for the next decade. So the next 10-20 years probably belong to Hamilton downtown.

Last edited:
Fair enough, thanks for the analysis! Is there any reasonable way of connecting the tracks south of Hunter back up with the CN mainline to Niagara? Or is Hunter the forever terminus of that RER line?

Anything is possible with enough money. :)

But yeah, until we get up to European levels of demand I can't see up upgrading the Hamilton Belt Line so that Niagara trains can serve Hunter St.

Though, a one or two stop extension to Stoney Creek might be doable and make some sense? With a P&R lot in Stoney Creek around Centennial, we could possibly see people commuting by GO within Hamilton (and creating circumstances to help foster new development on surface parking lots in DT Hamilton).

In the corridor leading up to the tunnel, the corridor has room only for single track, but there are sloping embankments. There appears enough room to trenchwall both sides to turn 1 track into 3 track without expropriating most backyards (or only 1-2 feet at most). Or double-tracking (trenchwalling, and shifting existing track) with easily zero expropriation needed. So, it could be feasible, at least from a passing-track perspective. So that freight trains and GO trains can pass each other, only contending with one crossover and the tunnel entrance. Delays can be controlled to an extent that makes hourly two-way service possible with corridor sharing with CP with only two points of contention (the crossover and the tunnel). For RER and the tunnel too, it would not even be GTS scale, but costs would need to be weighed versus electrifying to West Harbour instead.

There certainly is room for two tracks. There were two tracks in this corridor until some decades ago. I agree that trenchwalls might be able to permit a third track, but bridge abutments are probably in the way.

We do need to weigh the pros and cons of the two options, but we also need to ensure that the analysis doesn't treat Hamilton as a monolitic entity. Any proper analysis will need to recognize the pros and cons of the two station locations.

(On a side note, even the Hamilton media is really bad for treating the city as a singular monolithic entity. The rallying cry is always "More service to Hamilton!" without recognizing the different circumstances of the two station locations.)

The role of West Harbour is flexible enough to gain further prominence that may actually someday surpass Hamilton Downtown, but not for the next decade.

Unfortunately, even if it does increase in prominence, its location in a stable residential neighbourhood means that it will always remain peripheral to Hamilton's geography. It's like CP's Summerhill station compared to Union, rendered on a much smaller scale.

Last edited:
I can tell there's going to be a bit of squirming and writhing at some Metrolinx meetings over the roles of Hamilton GO downtown and West Harbour GO, considering it is all heavily dependant on phasing.

Looks like it. This whole thing is like a Jenga puzzle. It only works if you modify certain components at certain stages.

In twenty to thirty years, West Harbour could even someday become a more major interchange/intermodal station, with A-Line LRT, Niagara Express rail terminus, and Lakeshore West rail terminus, and several bus lines. The concept of the Niagara Express came up recently as the idea of splitting Lakeshore West separately of a Hamilton-to-Niagara train, so that delays at the Welland canal don't interfere with Lakeshore West train schedules. Essentially Lakeshore West broken into two sections (Union-Hamilton, and Hamilton-Niagara). Metrolinx had a warm reception to that idea during a recent meeting, so it might gradually gain some traction over the years. It saves nearly a billion dollars (no canal-to-rail separation needed, keep using existing delay-prone drawbridge instead) which pay for most of the cost of an A-Line LRT, and a future major West Harbour station expansion. Maybe even a LIUNA station buyback, who knows? People coming from Niagara would transfer trains at West Harbour. Hamilton Mountain commuters, as well as Airport travellers, would transfer between A-Line LRT and either the Niagara or Toronto train. A-Line would run typically frequent service (7min or better). Frequent all day 15-min-and-better RER service on fast-performing Lakeshore West RER, removes some of the sting (no timetable worry) of not having a single-seat-ride from Niagara Falls. The role of West Harbour is flexible enough to gain further prominence that may actually someday surpass Hamilton Downtown, but not for the next decade. So the next 10-20 years probably belong to Hamilton downtown.

The idea of a Niagara Express train is pretty interesting. Personally, I would terminate such a line at Aldershot, so that it had broader connections to GO RER and Via. But obviously the James North station would play a key role for Hamilton.

Anything is possible with enough money. :)

But yeah, until we get up to European levels of demand I can't see up upgrading the Hamilton Belt Line so that Niagara trains can serve Hunter St.

Though, a one or two stop extension to Stoney Creek might be doable and make some sense? With a P&R lot in Stoney Creek around Centennial, we could possibly see people commuting by GO within Hamilton (and creating circumstances to help foster new development on surface parking lots in DT Hamilton).

Just doing a Google Earth survey, it looks like there used to be a line that ran from the CPR mainline, up the Red Hill Valley, and then a straight shot to Caledonia. Re-installing this line and putting a station at either Stone Church or Rymal would be big for the Mountain. Just don't know if it's technically feasible or cost effective.

EDIT: The ROW I'm talking about is now the Escarpment Rail Trail, owned by the City. I wonder if turning this back into a rail corridor would be politically feasible. Also, would the grade be acceptable for EMUs?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, even if it does increase in prominence, its location in a stable residential neighbourhood means that it will always remain peripheral to Hamilton's geography. It's like CP's Summerhill station, but on a much smaller scale.
However, it's also a rapidly-redeveloping business/retail area. Sure, the residential north of West Harbour is a bounding area. But, there are several businesses south of JamesNorth that could redevelop into something bigger. Not this decade or maybe not even next, but it is not immune to yonge-street-style or (albiet lower-rise) condo infills replacing existing businesses. Especially this is where the A-Line LRT goes through.

James Street is in heavy flux over the years. James Street SuperCrawl had only 3000 people in 2009. Last year in 2014, there were 135,000 people! -- a 45x growth in the size of the arts festival. (It is Hamilton's quickly-expanding mish-mash merge of Toronto's festivals, even including Nuit Blanche too, due to the also existence of night crowds, street concerts, and funky street sculptures too).

There are some articles about low-income-shops no longer affording their James Street rent and having to move elsewhere (e.g. East Barton). There are no longer any shuttered stores on James Street, and a few buildings have been demolished to make way for King-Street-style condo developments (to the chagrin of some). Further south is new highrise condos under construction. As it extends northwards to West Harbour station, it will eventually be much more densified in 20-30 years from now, and one day pull in enough commuters to take over from Hunter as the main hub. Not this decade, not next, but most Torontoians who were away for 20 years no longer recognize Yonge Street south of Bloor. Preserving the heritage-buildings would be ideal, though some of them are beyond repair (the city had to evict a James Street tenant -- a mexican restaurant -- due to their building that was found near collapse during an inspection). There's also a few parking lots on James Street within 2-3-4 blocks of Hunter St Station, so as James Street redevelops, they will be filled in with new buildings, especially if adjacent less-heritage-looking moribund stores are replaced with larger developments. I have seen posted plans for a set-back tower somewhere north of Jackson Square (forgot which condo, though, but it was taller than surroundings.) so such a trend might continue. From this, it appears we may witness medium-rise developments puncture the James Street N skyline, albiet hopefully gracefully and not nearly as shockingly as the Aura punctured Gerrard and Yonge.

Here's streetviews of potential development opportunities within 200 meters walk of the West Harbour GO: link 1, link 2, link 3. That's just all in a mere 2 blocks away from West Harbour! Places that looked like this in Toronto 20 years ago, only 10 minute walk from downtown, now have towering condos more than 40 stories tall! Several blocks further south on James are actual posted plans for what looks like a medium-rise condo with storefront level. Walk further south on James Street, places like "The Connolly" is trumpeted. By the time West Harbour is ready to be a major intermodal hub, densification could have very well arrived. We're not talking about this decade, or next. Even Hamilton has a smaller version of a condo boom occuring 10 minutes walk away from these street views photos (multiple towers under construction). This isn't the fancier James Street of several blocks further south, this is pre-gentrified northern reaches of James Street North. What's not to say 15-20 years later; we'll have gradual densification near West Harbour, too? It also will only help poor East Barton too, another area ripe for gradual development from James Streets' coattails.

Last edited:

Back