News   Jul 16, 2024
 362     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 464     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Lakeshore West Passengers: To continue to ensure safe and reliable service, track and railway crossing maintenance in the area of Port Credit GO will take place the weekend of April 3rd to April 5th and again on Saturday April 25h. As a result, our Lakeshore West trains will operate on a single track between Mimico and Clarkson stations and trains trips will be reduced to hourly service in both directions.

Please note the following important information about this reduction:

- Friday April 3rd is a holiday and we will be operating on a Sunday Schedule.

- Eastbound trips departing Aldershot at thirty one past the hour and westbound trips departing Union Station at thirteen past the hour will not operate.

- The Lakeshore East train, Route 18 - Hamilton Train Meet, Route 12 - Niagara Falls Train Meet, and Route 15 McMaster U Train Meet services will not be affected, so expect longer wait times when arriving on buses that will not have direct train connections.

We thank you for your patience.

For more information, visit: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

Don't think you will see a grade separation for Mills. If so, a lot of streets will be close off to it.
Any speculation what will happen eventually to Mill St in Brampton, considering GO RER electricification and the line's potential/eventual use for high speed trains and other service improvements? It does seem to be one of the trickier grade separation challenges, exploring through the satellite view maps...

Would Mill possibly be instead closed off, and a new road tunnel instead, even a George Street emerging somewhere in the parking lot, or Mill St (north of the rail) becoming a tunnel under railroad, the school and emerging to connect to Park St (reducing or eliminating the need for residential or educational expropriation)? Leaving Railroad St. and its buildings untouched? I suppose there's a number of creative expensive solutions...

^take it for what it's worth but I heard from a decently placed real estate person that Metrolinx are 'looking hard' at the properties on the south side of Railroad from Mill to George.

Those properties have flipped several times over the past decade by people thinking there actually was a market for condos downtown Brampton....if ML are looking at them it could be a sign that the solution (or part of it anyway) to the DT Brampton bottleneck lies south of the current tracks/station and not north of it.

Railroad St can become dead end streets at Mills and have very little impact on the area. The west side of Mills at Railroad St would be service by Railroad St for any condo that may get built there.

The east side would disappear along with Railroad St by a parking structure and a new development that may include a new transit hub with the closing of the old one.

This would solve the issue on the south side.

The north is more of a problem cause by the building on the west side of Mills unless there is another access point north of it off Joesph St and the possibility of closing off Church St at Mills due to grade issue.

That building is historical and not going anywhere, other than finding access to it to replace the south access point.

By building a new parking structure underground and development above it to replace the 3 GO lots, it frees up land on the current VIA/GO station to add the 3rd track and relocate the existing station. This development can go hand in hand with what the city view for the current station land.

I would still try to get some kind of development on the current site that would incorporate the VIA Station and putting parking underground. If the LRT does make its way to the station as proposed, I would not run it into the station area at all, but leave it on the street for future extension north. If it is taken into the station area, it would be underground and freeing up the area for development.

Condos are going to be a tough sell in the downtown with the lot at Main & Church still dead for a proposal, along with the various proposal for Dominion Skate Site. Took a long time to sell and build the 2 towers in the downtown along with the one at Kennedy & Queen.

Depending on development south of Railroad, you could run Railroad St over the Mills separation.

Mills can't be close off, as it support Main St when it get close off at times as it the only nearest N-S street to it and wouldn't support any closing off of Mills St at all. Look at the map and you will see it.

Both Metrolinx and the city need to take a hard look at the land around it as what can be build to support a downtown for the city as well getting a good return on the investment.

I would also guess that Metrolinx is attempting to eliminate Railroad Street east of Mill, by buying out those property owners and eliminating any access requirements. A third track on the north side is difficult no only because of the one historical building on the west side of Mill, but because you would also have to get around the railway building after that. Makes for awkward track geometry. I'm not sure how they're planning to redevelop the bus terminal, but another consideration in all of this is the Hurontario-Main LRT. That's gonna have to go somewhere, so a third track is probably part of a larger station redevelopment package.

If Metrolinx is seriously looking at Railroad Street in Brampton, I'd also like to see Kent Street in Guelph bought up. It's the most painful PSO on VIA's corridor/GO's network.

I second that. I used to live near there. I see the reason for the PSO (kids), but there should be an interim solution.

It will be years before something more expensive is justified. But I think it would involve:
* making a new access for 68-70 Kent Street South from Dublin
* Expropriating the four remaining houses facing Kent, and closing Kent South altogether
* Grade separating Dublin, Glasgow, Yorkshire, Edinburgh and/or Alma.

I second that. I used to live near there. I see the reason for the PSO (kids), but there should be an interim solution.

It will be years before something more expensive is justified. But I think it would involve:
* making a new access for 68-70 Kent Street South from Dublin
* Expropriating the four remaining houses facing Kent, and closing Kent South altogether
* Grade separating Dublin, Glasgow, Yorkshire, Edinburgh and/or Alma.

The City of Guelph owns the property at the corner of Preston & Edinburgh. The reason: Tunnel under the CN Tracks on Edinburgh between Foster Ave & Preston St. So we know that Tunnel is on the books.

Why not bury it starting at the Gordon/Norfolk St CN Bridge until Yorkshire where there is ample room to come up/go down before the new overpass at Edinburgh? Or how about putting it in the air haha

Otherwise, Kent Street does have room to spare and some streets would be closed off Dublin, maybe Alma but Yorkshire and to lesser extant Glasglow would/may stay open as they are fairly busy streets....

We might find out when the 2 way all day double tracking report comes out.

Last edited:
The City of Guelph owns the property at the corner of Preston & Edinburgh. The reason: Grade Seperation of CN Tracks on Edinburgh between Foster Ave & Preston St. So we know that Tunnel is on the books.

Why not bury it starting at the Gordon/Norfolk St CN Bridge until Yorkshire where there is ample room to come up/go down before the new overpass at Edinburgh? Or how about putting it in the air haha

Otherwise, Kent Street does have room to spare and some streets would be closed off Dublin, maybe Alma but Yorkshire and to lesser extant Glasglow would/may stay open as they are fairly busy streets....

We might find out when the 2 way all day double tracking report comes out.

I agree, definitely what I was inferring.

Dublin would be a good candidate to close, because of the significant grade to the north. Perhaps replace with a pedestrian bridge/culvert. Definitely need to keep all others open, or there would be considerable outrage. Heck, it would be Weston all over again!

The City of Guelph owns the property at the corner of Preston & Edinburgh. The reason: Grade Seperation of CN Tracks on Edinburgh between Foster Ave & Preston St. So we know that Tunnel is on the books.

When you say tunnel, do you mean an actual tunnel, or something similar to what was built at Strachan? Just curious if the space overtop of the tracks will actually be usable for something, or if it's just a grade separation to remove conflict.

I would also guess that Metrolinx is attempting to eliminate Railroad Street east of Mill, by buying out those property owners and eliminating any access requirements. A third track on the north side is difficult no only because of the one historical building on the west side of Mill, but because you would also have to get around the railway building after that. Makes for awkward track geometry. I'm not sure how they're planning to redevelop the bus terminal, but another consideration in all of this is the Hurontario-Main LRT. That's gonna have to go somewhere, so a third track is probably part of a larger station redevelopment package.
You can't put the 3rd track on the south side without tearing down the office building at Main St & Nelson, as well part of Nelson St on the east side of Main. At the same time, you would have to build a new one piece 3 track bridge so you can shift the tracks around.

By closing off the south access entrance for the historical building, you will get a smoother transition for the new centre platform than the one if that entrance isn't close off. Otherwise, the 3rd track can go on the north side easier than the south.

If you look where the stair is on the north side going to the south side, the platform edge will be about 6 feet to north for the new track 1. If you don't put in a centre platform between the existing track 1 and the new track 1 as well using a north platform only, this would be the smoothest transition for the station, but defeats the need to have GO on the north 2 tracks and out of CN way.

I have photos of the station on Flickr tag as Brampton Station to see what there now.

Before shot
15787791051_cf0e6362df_b.jpg

15789652945_001e5d3487_b.jpg

When you say tunnel, do you mean an actual tunnel, or something similar to what was built at Strachan? Just curious if the space overtop of the tracks will actually be usable for something, or if it's just a grade separation to remove conflict.

My understanding from City of Guelph staff is that a tunnel along Edinburgh down from Foster toward Preston under the current tracks is to be built - Tracks stay where they are basically.

Between roughly that point and CN Bridge at Norfolk well could do like Strachan but it would be more complicated.

Typing too fast today.

Last edited:
My understanding from City of Guelph staff is that a tunnel along Edinburgh down from Foster toward Preston under the current tracks is to be built - Tracks stay where they are basically.

Between roughly that point and CN Bridge at Norfolk well could do like Strachan but it would be more complicated.

Typing too fast today.

Makes sense, thanks!

Back