News   Aug 13, 2024
 286     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 463     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1K     2 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

What’s the opinion of CNC Zaluzhnyi?

Personally a huge fan. Books will be written about how he transformed the Ukrainian military from a Soviet style conscript force to one of the most innovative and daring military organizations in the world. And he did it in less than a decade, with a country still massively under Russian military and cultural influence.

Incredible..... This is exactly why we really need to get moving on decoupling from China....

Agree, but I'm rally not surprised. It is consistent with China's ethno-centric view that rationalizes their desires of legitimacy to Taiwan, Mongolia, Tibet and eastern Russia based on ancient heritage.

Agree, but I'm rally not surprised. It is consistent with China's ethno-centric view that rationalizes their desires of legitimacy to Taiwan, Mongolia, Tibet and eastern Russia based on ancient heritage.

There's two important observations here.

1) Their whole pretension to neutrality is gone. It's "might makes right".

2) They are clueless about how soft power works. They just ticked off all of Eastern Europe with one comment.

Russia, through its invasion has ignited a renaissance of Ukraine’s distinct language and culture. Was that Putin’s intent?

Paywall-free here: https://archive.ph/XkYHR

Many Ukrainian citizens are native Russian speakers — including Mr. Zelensky. An estimated one in every three Ukrainians speaks Russian at home, according to researchers, but many of them — outraged by the violence of Russia’s invasion — have been switching to Ukrainian as a show of defiance. But Mr. Kebuladze, who speaks Ukrainian, Russian and Georgian, said it was OK for people to continue to speak what they want at home. “It’s not about private language,” Mr. Kebuladze said. “We have only one state language, Ukrainian,” he added. “And if people want to become citizens, they should know this language. It’s part of our identity, our culture, our history.”

Assuming the "Donetsk People's Republic" and "Luhansk People’s Republic" are overrun by the AFU this year, I don't think there will ever again be powerful Russian-centric separatists in Ukraine. Never is a long time I admit, so we can't know for certain, but I expect Zelensky to lead a purge, at ground level leaning towards la Terreur, to clear out any Ukrainian residents who would prefer to be Russians.

Last edited:
A good thread on the forces that Ukraine has coming up for the counteroffensive.

No idea why preview is not working....

What's interesting is that Ukraine is also preparing nine National Guard light infantry brigades for clearing operations. This way the Ukrainians don't tie down their heavy forces in urban fighting. Their heavier and western donated kit is going to be aimed at destroying as much of the Russian army as possible before they can escape back to Russia or entrench themselves in the cities. This is a force design that emphasizes speed, manoeuvre and direct attack on enemy forces. Looks a lot like how allied forces prosecuted Operation Desert Storm.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ukraine is claiming that it was Russian partisans. Which doesn't mean that Ukraine might not have helped.

Could be a false flag too. Wouldn't be the first time Putin did something like that....

Ultimately, this looks like a very weak attack. And mostly symbolic. That's not Ukraine's style.

I hope we are not looking at another Coup attempt....

In any case, I can see Putin using this to justify full mobilization. Shooting at the Kremlin is like shooting at the White House, you can do it but expect to have your ass handed to you.

If it is Partisans, that would mean Putin is loosing control of the situation. That unto itself is not a good thing.

I hope we are not looking at another Coup attempt....

That's where me and you differ. Turmoil in Russia is peace for the rest. They weren't invading their neighbours in the 1990s.

In any case, I can see Putin using this to justify full mobilization.

Which is why I think this is a false flag. It's too convenient a cover for all the things they want to do.

If it is Partisans, that would mean Putin is loosing control of the situation. That unto itself is not a good thing.

Disagree. I for one will accept some turmoil to see the end of Russian imperialism for good. People are only scared of this because they can't imagine a world without the Russian Empire. A century ago the same was said about the British and French empires.

Back