News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

A single 2,000 man brigade with 14 Challenger 2s, 90 Stryker, 40 Marders and 24 M-119 towed howitzers. Whenever the 82nd Brigade goes there will be some ass kicking. They were smart to keep all the Challengers together.

A brigade with 14 tanks and 2000 troops is not "ridiculously powerful". Consider the American comparisons for a Stryker and Armoured Brigades from Wikipedia for context:

Each Stryker brigade combat team consists of three infantry battalions, one reconnaissance (cavalry) squadron, one fires (artillery) battalion, one brigade support battalion, one brigade headquarters and headquarters company, and one brigade engineer battalion. A Stryker brigade is made up of more than 300 Stryker vehicles and 4,500 soldiers.

An armored brigade combat team consists of seven battalions: three combined arms battalions, one cavalry (reconnaissance) squadron, one artillery battalion, one engineer battalion and one brigade support battalion. As of 2014, the armored brigade combat team is the largest brigade combat team formation with 4,743 soldiers. Prior to 2012, the armored brigade combat team was named the heavy brigade combat team.

An ABCT includes 87 Abrams, 152 Bradley IFVs, 18 M109s and 45 armed M113 vehicles.

What the Ukrainians have isn't a brigade. It's a large battlegroup. Probably propose designed to punch through.

It's only a matter of time now before Kerch bridge is destroyed for good. Would be great to get that done before the counter offensive starts.
I think the Kerch bridge is still a bit too far from the frontline to be attacked with these missiles, but if Ukraine reaches the Sea of Azov they would be able to reach it (or with other weapons as well).

From London daily Mail. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rupts-Ukraine-Russia-destroys-ammo-silos.html

Two of Russia's top commanders were killed yesterday amid bitter fighting in the east of Ukraine.
The Russian Defence Ministry said Commander Vyacheslav Makarov of the 4th Motorized Rifle Brigade and Deputy Commander Yevgeny Brovko from a separate unit were killed trying to repel Ukrainian attacks.
The battle for Bakhmut has raged for a year as Ukrainian and Russian troops have even had to fight hand-to-hand with bayonets.

I think the Kerch bridge is still a bit too far from the frontline to be attacked with these missiles, but if Ukraine reaches the Sea of Azov they would be able to reach it (or with other weapons as well).

Storm Shadow is air launched. A well planned operation with local SEAD can provide a release point in range of the Kerch Bridge. I don't think the Ukrainians would risk it yet. But it's not impossible.

Announced a few weeks ago, but surely a good sign of a strong desire to better integrate former Russian 'colonies' into the wider European rail networks. Similar moves are underway in the Baltic states - though it will obviously be many decades before all lines are converted (or replaced by new lines) using the 'standard' European gauge.

On April 5, 2023, Egis signed a contract for the “Support to the Pre-feasibility study for a new EU standard-gauge railway corridor connecting Poland, Ukraine, Romania, and Moldova”.

This crucial project will contribute to the integration of Ukraine and Moldova in the European transport area, by improving connectivity with the EU and increasing the capacity of the new export corridors. Besides, it will increase the resilience of the transport system and the logistic chains by reducing their vulnerability to exceptional events, such as the current blockade of Ukrainian ports following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Within the project framework, Egis team will work with JASPERS (Joint Assistance in Supporting Projects in European Regions), a partnership between the European Commission and the EIB. The main task of the Egis is to support JASPERS in finalizing the pre-feasibility study and complementing the sections already developed by JASPERS experts.

The leading company is Egis in Poland, while the European Investment Bank is the donor and the client of the project.

Maybe why the Russian Army is doing so poorly...

1684185558539.png

Last edited:
Looks like Russia's take on hypersonic weapons was a farcical exercise in smoke and mirrors, and likely some good old corruption.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...-serious-accusations-treason-case-2023-05-17/

I have no doubt that other players, like the USA and China will field such weapons in competitive fettle. But Russian tech?
Hilarious. By all means Kremlin, induce a brain drain of your best and brightest...

It's also rather delicious that Russia's dense volley of their vaunted hypersonic missles yesterday were all destroyed by a Patriot air defense battery, which Russia publicly dismissed as a dated system that would not help Ukraine.

Don't **** with Western tech.

Looks like Russia's take on hypersonic weapons was a farcical exercise in smoke and mirrors, and likely some good old corruption.

Not really. They are technically hypersonic. Most ballistic missiles are. What they are not is manoeuvrable or low flying cruise missiles. That is the type of hypersonic missiles that people are generally worried about when they talk about hypersonic weapons. Not just something that goes fast.

Also, I wouldn't say Russian science is bad. Those arrested scientists are probably capable. Their corruption happens in their industrial base. You can't skim much from a lab. You can skim plenty from a large manufacturing facility.

I have no doubt that other players, like the USA and China will field such weapons in competitive fettle. But Russian tech?

Broadly, we should be concerned about such threats and field adequate defences. Not just scramble after the fact. Right now, Canada doesn't field any land based air defences. Easy to mock those Russian Kinzhals until you realize we would have no ability to defend against them in the same situation as the Ukrainians.

Also, I think way too many people assume the Russian threat will be gone for good after this war. Unless, Putin is gone and his successor has a real change of heart, we can't assume Europe is safe. They might just re-arm and come back. And this risk is particularly high given that the West isn't actually going all out to help Ukraine completely destroy the Russian forces in their country.

What they are not is manoeuvrable or low flying cruise missiles. That is the type of hypersonic missiles that people are generally worried about when they talk about hypersonic weapons.
But wasn't that the entire purpose of the hypersonic missiles Russia was supposedly developing? I believe Russia provided a bunch of the tech to China in the hope that the latter could use maneuverable hypersonic missiles to evade SAMS/CIWS and kill USN CVNs off Taiwan. If it's just a really fast missile incoming from a straight course, that shouldn't be difficult to counter no matter its speed - as the Ukrainian Patriots have demonstrated. China cannot be amused at that snake oil they've just bought.

But wasn't that the entire purpose of the hypersonic missiles Russia was supposedly developing? I believe Russia provided a bunch of the tech to China in the hope that the latter could use maneuverable hypersonic missiles to evade SAMS/CIWS and kill USN CVNs off Taiwan. If it's just a really fast missile incoming from a straight course, that shouldn't be difficult to counter no matter its speed - as the Ukrainian Patriots have demonstrated. China cannot be amused at that snake oil they've just bought.

I don't think China bought it from Russia - and the talk was that they had demonstrated FOBS and hypersonic manoeuvring.

AoD

Back