News   May 15, 2024
 445     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 759     0 

What's your Walk Score?

90/100 on Ezra Ave. in Waterloo. I'm amazed that Waterloo can have scores that high but then again, I do walk almost everywhere.

I tried out a few addresses and I must admit that I am not impressed. The idea is great but the vast quantity of places that they are missing makes the projected number meaningless. For example, under grocery stores, no grocery stores show up, only convenience stores. And take a look at what pops up for 1 Dundas... the entire Eaton Center, Path and over 90% of services in the area are not there.

This must be an advertising thing. No advertising...not on the website.

Last edited:
Interesting concept but as mentioned it is a bit rough around the edges. It couldn't even locate my address to within 1 km along my street let alone the closest amenities... well that is my neighbour's address. Can't have the website selling my accurate information.

Need a special button for Bars as of today.

Now that they have lowered the intoxication limit to .05 from .08, if you want to drink take transit or a cab, drink at home, or just walk to the local...

I may be wrong here but I'm going to assume that they base their walkability scores strictly on your address' distance to various amenities.

Relative close proximity alone doesn't lend itself to walkability. There are a slew of other factors.

For example: I can walk to my nearest DRT bus stop in 15-20 minutes which isn't terrible considering my age and fitness level but I have to walk on the gravel shoulder of a regional road with a speed limit of 80 km/hr. Add a sidewalk and walkability improves tremendously, at least for me. (It's especially sheisty walking this at night, but hey, I'm still alive :) )

Last edited:
The house where I grew up scored 2 out of 100. Man, I hated that place.

Current location in Toronto is 71 out of 100. Much better.

78 for Yonge/Sheppard. I thought it would be higher than that, then I realized how incomplete the listings are. For example, under fitness, the only listings are a bunch of small yoga places, while Extreme Fitness, which is literally 30 seconds from my back door, is not listed. Neither is GoodLife, which is about 5 minutes walk away. Strangest of all, Loblaws is not listed under groceries.

Hi All. I noticed how inaccurate the site actually was after reading all the posts. I sent a note to the folks at walkscore and got the following response.
I hope it helps...

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the thoughtful email. That's great to hear about the feedback Walk Score got in Toronto, thanks for sharing. We're sorry some people are having trouble with inaccurate Walk Scores. Right now, adding/editing locations through Google is the best way we have to correct errors. We realize this can be improved and are looking into it.

We're working hard on ranking the rest of our US cities right now and then we'll be turning our attention to Canada. We're a small -- but hard working! -- team so it probably will take a little time. But we hope that you keep your eye on us in the meantime and keep sending great feedback like this.

If you want to send some of the inaccurate locations our way, we can take a look and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Best,

Mike Maisen
maisen@frontseat.org
www.walkscore.com

Back