News   May 01, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 305     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

What's your Walk Score?

Close to Park Lawn and Lakeshore - 50/100 somewhat walkable. With the completion of Beyond the Sea, with a huge retail component, this should go far up.

Needs some improvement. Maybe because the area is so new?
15 Fort York Blvd (CityPlace)
Walk Score: 48 out of 100 — Car-Dependent

What an idiotic system. For my Riverdale address it lists Todmorden Sobeys ( which I'd never even heard of, let alone visited ) as my nearest grocery store - which it isn't; Lukes ( a pleasant but poorly stocked and typically overpriced corner store ) is referred to as a bar; cinemas that aren't cinemas are listed; it doesn't list the drugstore or the fitness centre at Pape and Danforth; it doesn't list several local hardware stores; and the listing that combines "clothing" and "music" is decidedly odd. Score: 72.

It seems that the Tele Atlas database (I am assuming from the copyright along the bottom of the map) has been very poorly researched for this city, so that's the first overhaul that needs to happen.

Secondly it has listed my nearest library as one that I would have to swim across the Humber River to get too: point being Swansea library would be closest to me were I taking my rocket pack, but the most accessible one to me is actually Humber Bay library: instead of using as-the-crow-flies proximity measurements, they need to completely rebuild this to measure distance to these places along transportation corridors.

What's this website's Use Score?

42 Yogic Flyer's Paradise

Click on the 'How Can I Increase My Walk Score?' link - it's all just Google data
Why is Walk Score missing a grocery store that clearly exists because I can see it out my window? All of our business listings come from Google. If you see a missing business, you can now add it using Google Maps. Read more about how Walk Score works.

So, don't blame them if your local grocery isn't there.

I find it curious, though, that they don't count schools. That's an important part of walkability for a good portion of the population.

Combined with fact that they count convenience stores as groceries, makes me think it's developed by some single guy.

63 @Bloor and High Park. It missed the local Russian deli and the convenience store across the street. But I tend to agree with this score--the area is ideal if you have a car for weekends and TTC to work.

Most good places (the Junction, Roncevalles, Bloor West Village) are more like 15 minutes of walking ... just bearable, but not so nice in the winter.:(

It's interesting to note my old uptown Waterloo neighbourhood scores higher than many areas of Toronto: 68. So did I actually downgrade moving back to Toronto?;)

My current place at Richmond/Sherbourne got a 97 "Walkers' Paradise," yet my new place in the Grange Park area only got a 90 (still a Walkers Paradise, but not quite as much). This makes no sense as there is clearly more in the west-end than in my currently up-and-coming nabe. Still, an interesting site if it worked properly.

Come to think of it, I think my sister's place in Monkland has a Tim Horton's within walking distance. Surely it should get a point for that. I guess there is stuff missing.

i42:

You're NOT the only one on here that got a 42 :p

It would be fascinating to see a map of the GTA with colours denoting the score at the location.

AoD

Not true ... the top score in Toronto is 97 ... that I've seen.
Try Queen Yonge | Yonge and Dundas ... there's a lot.

From the rankings it looks like the top is 100 ... but again they'll missing locations even downtown!

My home for years was in the plaza II apartments at bloor & yonge (88 Bloor St. East) which also scores a 97. I can't imagine too many places with a better score than there, it's about as central as one can get here

That was fun. Radio City gets 93.

Never mind Pusateri's or Dominion - apparently my nearest grocery store is "Trung Nguyen Coffee" on McGill St. I'll have to look into that one.

Also, nearest parks are Cawtha Square and Allan Gardens, although there are five inns or B&Bs listed ahead of them. :confused:

My Danforth and Logan apartment gets a score of 77 which makes it comparably "walkable" to my future home in Tempe, Arizona (75).

This thing is flawed.

Stroll down Logan sometime, and I'll stroll up it, and we can meet for a drink at the bar in the Lukes variety store!

My old house on York Mills scored a sensational 23. I guess having both libraries *and* bookstores close by is more important than subway stations (though the hill is near dangerously steep).

Most Toronto addresses automatically lose 8 points because the site excludes every chain grocery store other than Sobeys. The fitness category only looks for yoga studios. Almost every address loses another 8 points in the hardware store category.

Back