News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has the TTC spoken about platform screen doors at all recently, the TTC tics all the boxes for installing them. Or at least gates
I don't recall anything recent. Aren't they still a line-item in the far-future budget?

The cost is into the hundreds of millions. It's not like they can just install screen doors. The doors would have to go over the platform section that overhangs the safety crawl area under the platform edge. Which means the weight is cantilevered out, and would require much of the platform to be completely rebuilt with extra reinforcing. Unless there's some way to almost entirely suspend the weight from the ceiling.

Gosh, I don't even see an unfunded line-item for it anymore in the TTC 2018-2027 budget.

Though it does appear in the September 26, 2017 budget presentation.

upload_2018-6-8_19-57-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-8_19-57-57.png
    upload_2018-6-8_19-57-57.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 428
Does the "$30 million for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Yonge Street from Finch Station to Steeles Avenue" mean 8 laning of Yonge Street?
Also, this is a list for "unfunded projects, so the "$100 million for New Transit Control Centre" probably isn't the one at Mount Dennis Station.

They really shouldn't run the 510 on QQ during weekends and times where people prefer the 509. Instead increase service on the 509. Oh yeah, TTC doesn't have enough new streetcars so they can't do that.
The problem is not everyone that gets on the streetcars between union and spadina wants to only go to stops on queens quay. On weekends where they have only had the 509 people stand waiting for 510 cars well full 509 cars go past with no room in them for anyone. I wonder if they could do the opposite and have the 510 car serve the whole length of the route and have the 509 turn back at spadina and queens quay?

I posted this in the GO construction thread, but due to more details on the alignment of the future streetcar track extension to Dufferin Gates from Exhibition, I've posted it here too.

I know we've discussed this a few posts back, but I found some more info on the proposed upgrades to Exhibition GO, including a detailed PDF outlining the upgrades. My bad if this has already been posted. Link to PDF here.

Of note is the alignment of the future streetcar connection to Dufferin Gates, and how it will interact with the rest of the station.

site-plan-large.jpg

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but the brand new 3100-series buses have USB ports at the seats. The seats are also from a different supplier.

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but the brand new 3100-series buses have USB ports at the seats. The seats are also from a different supplier.
They switched from American Seating Insights to 4One Gemini. Both are around the same in terms of comfort. Also has flip up accessible seats like on the subway and streetcar. They now come with 2 passenger info screens that finally tells what time it is. Finally, they come install with the new VISION system which potentially means the switch to a computerized next stop announcement.
Edit: here’s a photo gallery of the new buses.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/86196162@N05/27829633647/

They switched from American Seating Insights to 4One Gemini. Both are around the same in terms of comfort. Also has flip up accessible seats like on the subway and streetcar. They now come with 2 passenger info screens that finally tells what time it is. Finally, they come install with the new VISION system which potentially means the switch to a computerized next stop announcement.
Edit: here’s a photo gallery of the new buses.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/86196162@N05/27829633647/

Where's the BIG CIS (Central Information System) box? It really shrank. Before the CIS, drivers and streetcar operators had to stop their vehicles and use coins at pay phones to communicate with dispatch.

More subway closures cancelled:

Line 2: St George to Broadview Late Opening May 27 - CANCELLED
June/July
Line 1: Lawrence to St Clair closure on June 2 and 3 - CANCELLED
Line 1: Finch West to Lawrence West closure on June 9 and 10 - CANCELLED
Line 2: St George to Broadview Late Opening June 10 - CANCELLED
Line 1: Lawrence to St Clair closure on June 16 and 17
Line 3 Scarborough closure on June 24 - CANCELLED
Line 1: Lawrence to St Clair closure on June 30 and July 1

Not sure why June 16th has not been cancelled.

Probably because it HAS to go ahead to avoid major hold-ups on Crosstown work.

Update. June 16 and June 30th closures now cancelled.

We were up on 512 on Sat and the 2 cars we were on had both fare machines out of action on them with flashing red light. One car we were on was 4465 and I think the other was 4449?

Becoming very common these days getting on car and fare machines not working. A lot of free rides and no money for TTC.

Update. June 16 and June 30th closures now cancelled.
If this keeps going, the Crosstown might be delayed and TO will be forced to pay for these delays.

We were up on 512 on Sat and the 2 cars we were on had both fare machines out of action on them with flashing red light. One car we were on was 4465 and I think the other was 4449?

Becoming very common these days getting on car and fare machines not working. A lot of free rides and no money for TTC.
Even with the fare machines working, I notice the number of people paying is rather low compare to other lines. Do they all have metropasses? I think they really need to get more inspectors up there to confirm that.

If this keeps going, the Crosstown might be delayed and TO will be forced to pay for these delays.

Even with the fare machines working, I notice the number of people paying is rather low compare to other lines. Do they all have metropasses? I think they really need to get more inspectors up there to confirm that.
There are a few lines where riders are taking a free ride since there are no fare enforcer checking the line for them. 510 is the worse.

Personally I am of the opinion where the TTC should be allowed to strike. Let them air their grievances, have the city capitulate and move on. With the inability to strike comes long term work to rule and the inability to complete work.

If the TTC were able to walk off the job, this whole overtime issue would have been resolved months ago.

I did some digging through the open data projects website for Toronto. Quite interesting. Prior to 2007 only about 30% of all users used some sort of monthly pass. Then it skyrocketed in a couple of years to 50%. The non-pass users have remained steady (+/- 10%) from the 90's while the growth in users are almost all monthly passes.

This of course coincides nicely with the Harper-era Transit Credit.

Too bad Toronto didn't keep that ratio of pass vs cash (increasing the pass cost so that the ratio remains constant). If they did there might be a different story on funding.

I did some digging through the open data projects website for Toronto. Quite interesting. Prior to 2007 only about 30% of all users used some sort of monthly pass. Then it skyrocketed in a couple of years to 50%. The non-pass users have remained steady (+/- 10%) from the 90's while the growth in users are almost all monthly passes.

This of course coincides nicely with the Harper-era Transit Credit.

Too bad Toronto didn't keep that ratio of pass vs cash (increasing the pass cost so that the ratio remains constant). If they did there might be a different story on funding.
Why would you want to maintain a fairly high % of cash fares? Cash is expensive to handle and, frankly, annoying for everyone. The cost of the monthly pass was (and is) set to being x rides/month - around 40. You can certainly argue about what the 'correct' cost ratio should be but to say that the TTC should have set fares to keep the % of cash-payers constant sounds pretty silly to me.

Back