News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why would you want to maintain a fairly high % of cash fares? Cash is expensive to handle and, frankly, annoying for everyone. The cost of the monthly pass was (and is) set to being x rides/month - around 40. You can certainly argue about what the 'correct' cost ratio should be but to say that the TTC should have set fares to keep the % of cash-payers constant sounds pretty silly to me.

Actually at $146.25 vs the multi-fare price of $3 per ride, you get a multiple of 48.75 rides per pass.

That number has always been high w/the TTC.

I strongly argued that rather than have a low-income pass, they should simply reduce the pass price to a multiple of 40 which would be $120, the current price for a low-income pass is $115.50

I concur the cash fare at this point is wasteful.

I would actually like to see the concession fares for seniors and teens scrapped too.

Many are from wealthy homes, I'd prefer to see a simplified lower fare for all; the savings from administering that can be plowed back into the more attractive price point.

The teen/seniors pass is actually $116.75 which is an absurd 56.95 fares per pass.

If we merged everything, I think a cash fare of $3.25, a multi-fare of $2.75 and a pass (40 rides) would only be $110

This allows you to scrap ID cards all together, low-income passes, MDP, it would require modestly more subsidy, but the savings and higher ridership would cover a good chunk.

Last edited:
Why would you want to maintain a fairly high % of cash fares? Cash is expensive to handle and, frankly, annoying for everyone. The cost of the monthly pass was (and is) set to being x rides/month - around 40. You can certainly argue about what the 'correct' cost ratio should be but to say that the TTC should have set fares to keep the % of cash-payers constant sounds pretty silly to me.

Cash? Who said cash? Monthly passes vs all other fares. And to be quite honest the cost of operating the fare collection for Monthly passes vs Presto is about the same (once they stop mailing out monthly passes).

The conservative gov't convinced countless number of people to take transit and/or sign up for monthly passes. The question is should we encourage the subsidization of people who take 3+ trips a day on transit at the detriment of those that take less and/or cannot afford the upfront monthly cost.

Why do people assume that those who take the monthly pass are poor and need the assistance? I know many a white-collared person who uses transit 4+ times a day. Should we be subsidizing them more than a comparative person who only travels twice a day? Or someone who walks home to save a few bucks?

I thought all Ronce cars have been relocated elsewhere, but saw 3 by the service bay.

The sign posted said the yard and carhouse out of action until 2020.

Was on a 60XX car southbound on Yonge, and one hell of a loud noise coming from it. Have never heard this noise before and no idea what it was.

Noticed notices on the floor at the south end of Young St Clair platform going south saying mind the gap on the curb section only and have never noticed this before.

512 Streetcars were running every 12 minutes at Yonge Loop for St Clair with a few cars showing up between the 2nd and 4th car. Was told the GPS doesn't pickup cars out of order and thats very dumb.

90% of King St traffic both way drove through the Yonge intersection with 2 eastbound making a illegal left hand turn onto Yonge.

Both 4479 fare machines not working and the car only went into service on June 14.

Got my first ride on the new Queensway ROW and driver open it up like I expected when I saw it been built and no issues with it.

I was expected to be told to get off at the Kingsway stop, but sail right by it with other riders on it. Don't fallow service changes and if done so, I would noticed the change starting June with riders going to Humber. I had wanted for the last 2 months to get a video of the cars looping at Humber without riders as well seeing the changes to it after my last visit, but out of luck. There were 3 cars ahead of us when we pull in and enough room to get off safety. Not sure what out standing work has to be done, but finish based on my visit.

The sidewalk in the tunnel is wider some what with no railing.

What got me was the overhead hanger support not attach to the trough and have seen this style before.

Both platforms on the Lake Shore by the tunnel have been rebuilt wider and missing the shelters. All the anchors are in place for them.

Last edited:
TTC service to bypass Yonge Station through afternoon rush hour for police investigation

June 18, 2018

While Toronto Police continue to investigate a tragic death at Yonge Station this morning, TTC service for the rest of the afternoon and through this evening's rush hour will be impacted.

TTC trains will continue to run through Yonge Station east and west bound on Line 2 but will not stop, and customers will not be able to access the Line 2 platform at Bloor-Yonge. Service on Line 1 is not impacted by this investigation and trains will stop at Bloor Station.

The TTC is providing options for customers who normally travel east or west through Bloor-Yonge:

- At Bloor-Yonge, customers will be re-directed to Bay and Sherbourne stations. Wheel Trans buses will be available for those requiring accessible transfer to Line 2.
- Instead of traveling north to Bloor-Yonge, consider taking Line 1 south through the downtown U or take a streetcar at King, Queen, Dundas and College streets to the University side of Line 1. Transfers to Line 2 are available at St. George and Spadina stations.

Customer Service Agents wearing red smocks and TTC staff will be in place at stations on the Yonge side of Line 1 and both inside and outside the Bloor-Yonge interchange to guide and assist customers.

The TTC's GO protocol is in effect at Union Station allowing customers to travel to GO stations within Toronto on a TTC fare.

The TTC will continue to update customers via https://nam01.safelinks.protection....M9FNbZovsd47E7FCkLKBsRNDr2F2RH3Y0=&reserved=0and through @TTCNotices on Twitter.

The TTC joins all Torontonians in mourning this loss of life. While still under investigation, incidents of this nature are incredibly rare on the TTC. But the TTC will learn from this tragedy and will review any measures that could further reduce the chances of it happening again.

The TTC takes great pride in offering its customers one of the safest transit experiences in the world. Over the years, the TTC has introduced numerous safety measures including cameras in all stations and on vehicles, the yellow emergency alarm strip and the SafeTTC app.

As always, the TTC will continue to co-operate with police throughout their investigation.

1. This morning's incident is why a Relief Line is needed.
2. Platform screen doors? Sorry, but saving money is more important than saving lives. So say the fiscal conservatives.

1. A Relief Line
2. Full-height Platform Edge Doors
3. Full ATC
4. Air conditioning of indoor stations w/such doors
5. Vast capacity expansion of Yonge-Bloor
6. Modest expansion of St. George and all Yonge Stations from College to King.
7. More cross-over tracks, including on Line 2

Sensible, now to find the political will for the 5B or so beyond the R-L short that I just spent; never mind the 5B extra (conservatively) for R-L Long.

To be clear, I'm honestly an advocate of the above, I just see a very serious challenges getting the political will to make the investments.

I hasten to add these ideas have been around for more than 2 decades, sometimes much longer, and have been left to rot under 'progressive' regimes as well as 'conservative' ones. Plenty of blame to go around.

Last edited:
1. This morning's incident is why a Relief Line is needed.
2. Platform screen doors? Sorry, but saving money is more important than saving lives. So say the fiscal conservatives.

The thing is we don't even need full platform screen doors to save lives. Check out this example from Shanghai, and article:

Subway platform barriers, the quick and easy way

VxH7O2H.png

AUuzULL.png

5. Vast capacity expansion of Yonge-Bloor
6. Modest expansion of St. George and all Yonge Stations from College to King.
7. More cross-over tracks, including on Line 2

Allow me to poke holes.

5: You can't expand Bloor-Yonge without shutting the station completely for months if not a year. Also it may be impossible with the buildings nearby.

6: You can't expand the stations as most of the Yonge stations in Downtown are in office buildings or boxed in by them. You can't expand into space that doesn't exist. It's a subway station not a TARDIS.

7: More crossovers would be nice but you need to build them in places that were not designed to handle them structurally. Much like your house you can't just knock out a support beam and call it good.

Allow me to poke holes.

5: You can't expand Bloor-Yonge without shutting the station completely for months if not a year. Also it may be impossible with the buildings nearby.

6: You can't expand the stations as most of the Yonge stations in Downtown are in office buildings or boxed in by them. You can't expand into space that doesn't exist. It's a subway station not a TARDIS.

7: More crossovers would be nice but you need to build them in places that were not designed to handle them structurally. Much like your house you can't just knock out a support beam and call it good.

With all due respect; I've had extensive discussions w/Steve Munro and with TTC officials and I can assure Bloor-Yonge is expandable and no it does not necessarily or even likely require closing the station. That would be required if you added a central platform on Line 1, which is not being contemplated.

The mostly likely expansion scenario would be enlarging the mezzanines and adding a new Eastbound platform for Line 2, allowing close to double the platform space for Line 2 and double the capacity between the two lines.

Line 1 would have extra space via mezzanine expansion.

There are very definitely technical constraints and the cost will exceed 1B.

Secondly, expansion of those other stations is already identified by both the TTC and Metrolinx as necessary.

The expansion, in most cases is the addition of new or improved/expanded entrances and exits rather than platform space.

Wellesley Station is already getting its elevator and a second entrance.

The design for College is also complete.

King is underway.

Dundas is pending but will get a new northern exit, in addition to the replacement exit for the north-west which will be larger, and indoors.

St. George has not yet been contemplated, but would likely be focused on a new connection between existing platforms, as well as a new far-side exit off of one, additional platforms while desirable can not likely be justified cost-wise

New crossovers have already been installed by not activated where they were once present on Line 1.

Additional locations on Line 2 are needed; some will require feasibility as structural alteration is required.

I think at this point no amount of redundancy will fix Line 1. The problem here is at the most basic level and that is the Line simply cannot carry any more people (or at least the Yonge portion). Even ATC is only a temporary reprieve since will be back to where we are today in about 10 years. We've reached the point where the only solution to fixing Line 1 is diverting passengers down a different line.

Last edited:
Frankly as much as I want relief line long I wonder if the money would be better spent upgrading the existing Yonge Line for higher capacities and using whatever money is left over to invest in improved redundancy etc. the number of times the power has gone out and stopped my train makes me feel like its needed...

Increasing capacity does nothing if there is another "incident" at any of the stations on Line 1. The relief line would provide alternate routes. Best would be a northern extension of the relief line to Eglinton and Sheppard.

Frankly as much as I want relief line long I wonder if the money would be better spent upgrading the existing Yonge Line for higher capacities and using whatever money is left over to invest in improved redundancy etc. the number of times the power has gone out and stopped my train makes me feel like its needed...

It just makes the system fails harder when it does fail - because fail it will. The old adage of not putting all your eggs in the same basket applies.

AoD

Back