1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So you are saying that Streetcar is the same as LRT

You said:

If only our forefathers would have had the foresight to build Yonge as an on-street LRT we would have no problems now.

You're implication seems to be that there was some choice between at-grade LRT or subway for Yonge some time in the past, and we should be thankful they chose subway.

There was no binary choice like that, the reality was, Yonge was a streetcar starting in 1861 until it was at capacity, then they upgrade it to a subway 93 years later. Same thing happened with Bloor. So they built up ridership in the corridor using a streetcar line for 93 years before converting to a subway when it was needed.

The head of the transit workers’ union has suggested that occasional aggressive driving is a result of the TTC’s tight scheduling.

Bob Kinnear is high on the list of public figures that I don't like. Nonsense like this is the reason why.

Bob Kinnear is high on the list of public figures that I don't like. Nonsense like this is the reason why.
I am none to keen on Mr Kinnear either but I know that drivers are penalised for not keeping to their schedules (not, I fear, because it annoys customers but because it can lead to overtime). I suspect that not running late is in drivers' minds though that certainly does not excuse running red lights.

Kinnear has never met an incompetent employee he wouldn't defend.

Keep in mind that the only reason she was fired was because not only was she caught, but there happened to be video evidence as well. If people complained, even with probation, it would go on her record and that would be it. Many drivers are able to go their entire careers without running a red light. With only being with the TTC for a few months and having this incident caught on video, odds are this was not the first time she had done this.

Kinnear has never met an incompetent employee ...

at the TTC he wasn't legally obligated to defend. Seriously, it's in his job description.

I can guarantee Kinnear will not defend Rob Ford for his fuckups.

"The Amalgamated Transit Union is suggesting that the TTC’s response is inordinately harsh — that it should consider keeping the operator in a different capacity. After all, says union president Bob Kinnear, what driver hasn’t run a stop sign or a red?"

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ses_recounts_her_run_through_a_red_light.html

Most of them?

At least, most of them either have never run a red light or stop sign or have been caught doing it...

...within the first few months of employment.

And as I said earlier, maybe she was just very unlucky, but odds are the ONE time you run a red light it is rare that it happens to be in perfect view of a dashboard cam, which maybe about 0.1% of drivers have installed. That's like the opposite of winning LottoMax on your first $5 play.

Back