News   May 10, 2024
 269     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 284     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 399     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Then there should be a way of charging double for SUV-size baby carriages. I dislike both taking up so much space, but as long as it's on off-peak only, I don't care.

Agreed, there's lots of people who bring large items with them on the TTC, so I don't think there should be any extra charge.

I pretty much see this as a non-issue. Being mostly a streetcar and bicycle commuter (not at the same time), I've never seen anyone take a bike onto a streetcar.

If you have a bike with you, why would you then pay to travel at half the speed???

It makes sense on systems where LRT is used at much higher route speeds and/or long distances, but aside from transporting a broken bike, there is no reason for a cyclist to bring their bike onto a Toronto streetcar.

aside from transporting a broken bike, there is no reason for a cyclist to bring their bike onto a Toronto streetcar.

What if it's rainy, or windy, or they're with a friend who's not riding a bike, or they're tired? I think there are lots of reasons why people might bring bikes onto the streetcar, and the main reason it doesn't currently happen is that it's very difficult to get a bike on and off, which will become much easier with the new cars.

(I did see someone bring a bike onto a streetcar once, and even exit by the rear doors with it, but it wasn't pretty!)

What if it's rainy, or windy, or they're with a friend who's not riding a bike, or they're tired? I think there are lots of reasons why people might bring bikes onto the streetcar, and the main reason it doesn't currently happen is that it's very difficult to get a bike on and off, which will become much easier with the new cars.

(I did see someone bring a bike onto a streetcar once, and even exit by the rear doors with it, but it wasn't pretty!)

I've never brought a bike onto a streetcar and I'm not sure I've seen it done, but those are all valid reasons (as is a flat tire) and it should be possible, certainly on the new LRT lines as well. I don't think it should be subject to an extra charge, although it could be subject to peak restrictions and/or the driver's discretion in the case of a crowded vehicle (in which case the cyclist might decide it's not worth trying to wrestle the thing on board and then off again anyway). Strollers I don't have such a problem with either, although taking the kid out and folding it is sometimes worthwhile.

Just charge strollers as a full adult fare.
Why should I pay a full fare for my stroller that quickly folds up, when some of the SUV strollers take up so much more space. And if it get's into dimensions, do you want the driver to carry a tape measure?

Why should I pay a full fare for my stroller that quickly folds up, when some of the SUV strollers take up so much more space. And if it get's into dimensions, do you want the driver to carry a tape measure?

I find strollers on a bus to be a larger problem than a stroller on a streetcar. At least with our current streetcars, there is a alcove opposite the center doors where one or two strollers (or bicycles) can be stowed for the trip. Strollers (especially the SUV models) on buses just end up obstructing the aisle.

I used the old umbrella-type strollers since they can be folded up if the kid is able to sit on my lap. Many years ago of course, when there were no low-floor buses or streetcars.

I find strollers on a bus to be a larger problem than a stroller on a streetcar. At least with our current streetcars, there is a alcove opposite the center doors where one or two strollers (or bicycles) can be stowed for the trip. Strollers (especially the SUV models) on buses just end up obstructing the aisle.

I used the old umbrella-type strollers since they can be folded up if the kid is able to sit on my lap. Many years ago of course, when there were no low-floor buses or streetcars.

Talk to any director in transit in NA and they will say SUV strollers are a major issue for their system. There should be a limit on the size that should be allow on transit vehicles. Having one is not bad, but having 2 or more is an accidents waiting to happen.

Talk to any director in transit in NA and they will say SUV strollers are a major issue for their system. There should be a limit on the size that should be allow on transit vehicles. Having one is not bad, but having 2 or more is an accidents waiting to happen.

Some parents also use them as shopping carts, to carry goods home as the kids walk beside them. If the kid are over two (2) years old, no stroller for you!

Some parents also use them as shopping carts, to carry goods home as the kids walk beside them. If the kid are over two (2) years old, no stroller for you!

No kidding!! I have seen stroller on buses with no kid insight or with the person pushing it.

Poor Luca - he's a Leaf fan. Should we tell him now or let him find out for himself...?

Heheheheheheh i know it by myself hehehehe but u know... i've got italian body and canadian mind, soul, behavior and spirit, and i support raptors too. I love to help unlucky people (leafs) with my support! Hehehe!

Transit Agencies need to set standards for stroller sizes on buses. I remember taking MT 3 to the subway a month ago, and this lady came on the the bus with a stroller that literally blocked the entire space between the front wheelwells. No one could get by. Every time the bus came to a stop, she had to lug the stroller off, with some difficulty, and allow people to get on and off. You can imagine the dwell times were pretty lengthy. I finally couldn''t take it anymore(the bus driver wasn't doing anything), and told her to bring the stroller further into the bus(like most passengers, she wanted to hang around the front area), and even when she finally pushed the stroller past the front area, it took up a sizable amount of space. Anyone who rides the 3, knows it's a busy route.
I can assume she is a regular rider, you would think she would realize she needs a small stroller. It's astounding how oblivious people can be.

The really should be a way of charging double for bicycles. Maybe even more if you consider how much space they take up.

What a stupid comment to make. How does this create a transit system that serves everybody? Should we start charging more for people with larger body frames? Pregnant women? Single parents with strollers?

As for the hooks, those would be a much better system for organizing bicycles on the streetcars. Nobody with bikes, nobody, is going to use an area off to the side for strollers and bicycles. Hung vertically, one can take their bicycle easily off at their respective stop. Placed horizontally, bikes will get entangled with each other and will be hard to remove especially when behind several other bicycles.

Last edited:
As for the hooks, those would be a much better system for organizing bicycles on the streetcars. Nobody with bikes, nobody, is going to use an area off to the side for strollers and bicycles. Hung vertically, one can take their bicycle easily off at their respective stop. Placed horizontally, bikes will get entangled with each other and will be hard to remove especially when behind several other bicycles.

I've seen bicycles on the current streetcars at least a dozen times over the past few years (usually due to weather) and they have used the open space across from the rear doors literally 100% of the time. People tend to politely make space for them, and the only real problem is getting to that space, and exiting (always rear doors). I have seen 2 cyclists share that space on multiple occasions.
On the new vehicles they'll be able to board closer to an open area, with wider doors, and low floors. I guess the hooks would be nice, but based on my experience a bit of open floorspace will do just fine.

Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen a stroller make use of that open space. They tend to stay as close to the front doors as possible, which thankfully won't be an issue with the new vehicles.

Back