News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Seems like the user I was linking to removed his links and re-posted them in a single image, sorry.
https://twitter.com/blkmage/status/277115752845287425

In short: Totally unsubstantiated rumours that all's not well at Hillcrest...
Doesn't seem anything to the rumour. I tweeted Chris Upfold about this, and got a very quick response from Brad Ross noting that the car hasn't even left the shop yet, so "get your money back from rumour monger".

The rumour seems to have started in an Anime forum of all places ...

When are the new streetcars likely to enter service? 2014?

Where will we see them in service first? Spadina?

Also, while I'm firing all these questions at you transit junkies ;) -- what lines are the larger vehicles that were meant for Transit City going to be used on? The Eglinton Crosstown and St. Clair? Now that the Transit City LRT lines aren't happening and Eglinton Crosstown is, I'm curious about which lines are using these slightly larger versions of the new streetcars.

Thanks!

When are the new streetcars likely to enter service? 2014?
Yes - early 2014 is the plan.

Where will we see them in service first? Spadina?
Yes, that's the first route in service. Though apparently they'll be seen being tested up and down St. Clair this year.

-- what lines are the larger vehicles that were meant for Transit City going to be used on? The Eglinton Crosstown and St. Clair?
Eglinton, Finch West, Sheppard East, the SRT, and apparently an option is being used for the Kitchener-Waterloo LRT. They are not the right track gauge or power to run on St. Clair.

Now that the Transit City LRT lines aren't happening and Eglinton Crosstown is, I'm curious about which lines are using these slightly larger versions of the new streetcars.
The 4 transit city lines that were funded when they ordered the larger LRT are still funded. Little is different now since they were ordered, other than small delays on each line - and a big one on Sheppard East.

Is Waterloo LRT going to be pantographs?

Also, thank you for the very clear explanations. You answered every question I had! :)

The Transit City streetcars and Waterloo LRT cars will be pantograph only. The new downtown cars are equipped with both a trolley pole and pantograph which can be deployed and retracted as necessary. The plan is to eventually have all wiring in the system modified to support pantograph operation at which point the trolley pole will likely be removed.

I think so. That's what is shown in the picture on the bottom right of the recent set of boards from the Region - http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/multimedialibrary/resources/2012_rt_tpadisplayboards.pdf though that is before they confirmed the choice of vehicle.

As we recently saw in Ottawa though, assumptions about what vehicle models will be used don't always turn out to be accurate. Most people were predicting Bombardier vehicles for Ottawa's LRT, yet it wasn't until the final deal was revealed that it was shown that that wasn't the case.

As we recently saw in Ottawa though, assumptions about what vehicle models will be used don't always turn out to be accurate. Most people were predicting Bombardier vehicles for Ottawa's LRT, yet it wasn't until the final deal was revealed that it was shown that that wasn't the case.

I'm pretty sure Waterloo's cars have already been ordered through Metrolinx roughly 6 months ago though they do not have a final price yet.

They've requested 14 LRT vehicles and have a budget of around $56M for them.

The order is small enough they would pay a large penalty for an independent order. Piggybacking on the Toronto deal is reasonable.

Ottawa's package is for a much higher total dollar value.

The Waterloo line will likely be the first to open.

Last edited:
I wonder if they could do testing for the LRTs in Waterloo and save the costs of building half of the SELRT and it's yard 5 years early to test them. It can't be cheap to operate a yard as big as Conlins for 5 years while it is barely being used.

Waterloo announced 7 months ago that they had selected the same Bombardier unit that is being used for Transit City, and earlier this week The Record said a deal with Metrolinx for 14 trains (is that 14 vehicles or 28 vehicles?) would be announced this month. That article has already been discussed in the thread for those vehicles - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18819-Transit-City-Light-Rail-Vehicles

I wonder if they could do testing for the LRTs in Waterloo and save the costs of building half of the SELRT and it's yard 5 years early to test them. It can't be cheap to operate a yard as big as Conlins for 5 years while it is barely being used.
I had heard this idea before, and given the delays to Transit City, and the continuing on-time Waterloo LRT, this seems likely. There should be track to run on sometime in 2016.

And.... we have officially muddied the TTC Streetcar thread with Transit City LRV information...

Waterloo announced 7 months ago that they had selected the same Bombardier unit that is being used for Transit City, and earlier this week The Record said a deal with Metrolinx for 14 trains (is that 14 vehicles or 28 vehicles?) would be announced this month. That article has already been discussed in the thread for those vehicles - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18819-Transit-City-Light-Rail-Vehicles

I didn't realize they were at that point yet. Thanks for the clarification!

Back