News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

In this video, though, Karen Stinz acknowledges that the Federal government is contributing $108 million.
It's the federal gas tax. It's a shell game that this money is applied to the streetcar purchase; in past years it's simply been general income for both the capital and operating budget.

So if $108 million of the gas tax funding is applied to the Streetcars over the next 6 years, then the city has to instead find $108 million to fund other planned capital works.

Not sure what would have lead to this playing nicely stuff ... perhaps an attempt to be nice and try and get direct funding for another project.

20121115-front-seats.jpg

These seats still anger me. I brought it up to them that they should use the wider seat design (that exists elsewhere in the vehicle) in this location. They basically blew off the suggestion, saying that it would be a costly modification.

It's still a poor design.

Yes it makes no sense at all that those seats are so thin and there is dead white space that will certainly end up some of the most scuffed up white space in the vehicle, when there are seats like this:

ttc-new-streetcar-interior-long.jpg

Don't forget this is a "prototype". Make your concerns known to the TTC.

When the first prototype ALRV was on the streets of Toronto, they were hand-operated. The production ALRV were fitted with foot-operated controls (and the prototype was retrofitted with foot controls).

20121115-front-seats.jpg

These seats still anger me. I brought it up to them that they should use the wider seat design (that exists elsewhere in the vehicle) in this location. They basically blew off the suggestion, saying that it would be a costly modification.

It's still a poor design.

The wide seats are probably a bit to wide to fit. I would be surprised if they added a third width of seats. The seats in most public transit vehicles these days are designed to easily removed and replaced in case of damage or vandalism and I'm surprised that they are spending the money to stock two different seats to begin with. The easiest solution would probably be to reduce the width of the wider seats to fit in this spot but who know how many of the wider seats have already been produced.

These streetcars are going to look very long travelling on streets like College and Dundas. The back half of it may even run red lights from time to time as the lights are changing.

Don't forget this is a "prototype". Make your concerns known to the TTC.

When the first prototype ALRV was on the streets of Toronto, they were hand-operated. The production ALRV were fitted with foot-operated controls (and the prototype was retrofitted with foot controls).

The first ALRV - 4900 - was not retrofitted for or to anything. It was involved in an accident at the UTDC facility in Kingston and scrapped in 1988.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like seriously.....where do you come up with this crap?

The first ALRV - 4900 - was not retrofitted for or to anything. It was involved in an accident at the UTDC facility in Kingston and scrapped in 1988.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

See this link for a more accurate description of the ALRV. I got a few things wrong, but the production version of the ALRV did have changes that were different from the prototype.

The ALRV prototype with pantograph:

The ALRV prototype with trolley:

Last edited:
Yes it makes no sense at all that those seats are so thin and there is dead white space that will certainly end up some of the most scuffed up white space in the vehicle, when there are seats like this:

ttc-new-streetcar-interior-long.jpg

+1.

Actually, why are there seats that face that way, period? Wouldn't it make more sense from a space efficiency standpoint to orient the seats so they were parallel to the window facing in? Another idea for crush loads would have been to raise the entire platform - including the corridor - and turned it into a large, standing area (with flip down seats parallel to the window). It's not like wheelchairs can fit through that narrow passageway, anyway.

+1.

Actually, why are there seats that face that way, period? Wouldn't it make more sense from a space efficiency standpoint to orient the seats so they were parallel to the window facing in? Another idea for crush loads would have been to raise the entire platform - including the corridor - and turned it into a large, standing area (with flip down seats parallel to the window). It's not like wheelchairs can fit through that narrow passageway, anyway.

How would inward-facing seats work? You can't push the seats further toward the window because the wheels are inside those grey platforms.

See this link for a more accurate description of the ALRV. I got a few things wrong, but the production version of the ALRV did have changes that were different from the prototype.

The ALRV prototype with pantograph:

The ALRV prototype with trolley:

You've attached some nice photos from a website you found - congratulations.

Still doesn't change the fact that if you had read that website prior to your earlier post, you could have made that post a bit more correct.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How would inward-facing seats work? You can't push the seats further toward the window because the wheels are inside those grey platforms.

The seats are on top of the grey platforms. Similar to the seats on top of the second axle of a low floor articulated bus.

Back