News   Jul 12, 2024
 881     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 789     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 329     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

“[The Mayor] has previously spoken to me about me about Union Station as his priority and the Sheppard line as his priority. Well, my daddy taught me if you have 100 priorities you don’t have any,” Mr. Smitherman said. “But we leave it to them to tell us in that May 1 response, what are your top notch priorities.”

That's rich, considering what's considered a priority for the city isn't one for the upper levels of government for the lack of photo-ops and other optics related implications. Like yeah, YUS extensions...

Keithz:

It's a two way street though.

No it shouldn't be. Accepting that stance as a justification for differential treatment is quite frankly unprincipled, and just feeds into the cycle of cyncism and poor performance from our political parties. We should expect and demand better.

AoD

Last edited:
“I was in Thunder Bay last week and I just think that for the people that work at Bombardier they could have got a bit of a wrong impression from that announcement on Friday, because it’s a little out there,†Mr. Smitherman said. “If you can’t write the cheque, should you say that you’re entering into the contract?â€

Smitherman is right. How dare the TTC provide business to northern Ontario!! It's disgusting and will not be tolerated by the provincial government!

Besides, TTC didn't award the contract per se - it merely selected a winner that will still have to go through the legal process. Quite frankly, I think the politicos are just pissed that they can't spin their invaluable role in bring home the bacon.

AoD

Seriously. How much did the Liberals invest in Alberta when they were in power? The only province that constantly wins in our system of regional parties is Quebec.

Actually, the Liberals invested quite a bit into Alberta while they were in power. Anne McLellan did a great job at bringing government funding into Alberta, it was just never appreciated. Ralph Goodale had done the same for Saskatchewan. It was a Liberal government that (rightfully or wrongfully) helped the Alberta gov't arrange for the incentives that got the tarsands kick started.

The difference is that the Liberals never punished a region for not voting for them. The Conservatives on the other hand, seem quite vindictive towards regions that have no votes for them. The lack of stimulus cash to Toronto, except for Union Station (which benefits 905ers far more than 416ers), is a clear example of this policy.

Keithz:

Geez, you must have missed the post by allabootmatt. Besides, unlike the province (and by no means absolving them of this particular stance), we are all aware that the Feds picked up the tab for TC in the spirit of stimulating the economy.

AoD

Last edited:
I think it's time to boot Harper already. Can we elect Ignatieff already? And I don't know what Smitherman is going on about. Has his head been up his ass this whole time? The TTC has been going on about new streetcars for at least a year or two now. It didn't come out of nowhere. This reflects badly on McGuinty. McGuinty: tell your dimwit minister to STFU.

Barber cuts through...

Edit--Tweet from Giambrone: "I wish Minister Smitherman would start supporting Toronto and advocate for Toronto and streetcars that will run through his area."

Playing games with public transit
JOHN BARBER
E-mail John Barber | Read Bio | Latest Columns
April 30, 2009
jbarber@globeandmail.com

A few weeks ago, Premier Dalton McGuinty proudly announced $9-billion in new spending for three major light-rail lines in Toronto. Yesterday, he scolded Toronto Mayor David Miller for ordering trains to run on the new lines.

Like Infrastructure Minister George Smitherman a day earlier, the Premier pretended to be surprised that Toronto had signed a deal with Bombardier to supply new streetcars to replace the TTC's current fleet - and ultimately to run along the new light-rail lines the province has agreed to build. The deal depends on the federal and provincial governments to supply two-thirds of the more-than $2-billion cost, and both are balking.

The city keeps changing its demands, the Premier complained. Who said anything about streetcars? "We're trying to figure out where that ranks on the list of priorities."

The province's shock at the prospect of buying new light-rail cars to serve its own light-rail plan recalls the famous evening a dozen years ago when addled old Metro Council voted to build the Sheppard subway "affordably" by eliminating tracks. But that lot was just confused. The new guys are playing games.

If Mr. Smitherman really did learn of the contract for the first time last week, as he claimed this Tuesday, he should resign.

City and TTC officials attest to dozens of consultations with their provincial counterparts on this issue, going back months if not years. Council made the request for assistance in a unanimous vote months ago and the mayor repeated it in subsequent pre-budget "asks" to both the provincial and federal governments. For the minister in charge of the file not to know the TTC needs streetcars - and was actively negotiating to acquire them - is inexcusable.

And to pretend not to know when he does full well? That's politics.

"My daddy taught me if you have 100 priorities, you don't have any," Mr. Smitherman said, sanctimoniously dismissing outrageous demands for both tracks and trains. That would explain how wee Georgie, whose first and only priority always has been and always will be his own self, got so far in life.

If it was just him complaining, the case would be understandable. Mr. Smitherman has never forgiven Mr. Miller for knocking off his pick, Barbara Hall, in the 2003 mayoral election. Knowing he would be unlikely to beat Mr. Miller in the 2010 election winds him up even more. He has settled for strutting belligerently on the sidelines while the Premier negotiates directly with the mayor on all important matters of municipal-provincial relations.

But real trouble beckons when the Premier starts parroting the same rankly disingenuous complaints. Such behaviour reminds us, recent progress notwithstanding, that there is nothing more tragic than transit planning in Ontario. No matter how rational the plans, politicians always find a way to ruin them.

Denied the chance to build subways without tracks, they build subways to nowhere instead. They force responsible agencies to buy shoddy equipment from government-owned suppliers and force responsible suppliers to provide shoddy equipment. They engage in endless turf wars on the composition of useless boards. They reduce the most important, expensive decisions a city can make to childish games.

Now might seem a good time to get serious, what with billions of dollars of "stimulus funding" in the offing. But no, the politicians say: Let the games begin!

With a report from Karen Howlett

Last edited:
Should the city really expect the province to pay for the new streetcars? I found it surprising that the Transit City infrastructure costs were picked up 100% by the province. If the province had picked up 66% of the Eglinton LRT then the city would have had to pay $1.3 billion. The streetcar contract is for $1.2 billion. Why doesn't the city just pay for the streetcars and save its battles for Transit City and Union Station.

I sincerely hope there's a 'Plan B' to do just that; $1.22-billion over ten years is not a huge expense, given the centrality of streetcars to the current network and future plans. Of course, if there is a Plan B the City shouldn't say so until it absolutely has to.

Then again, it's even less of a huge expense for the province or feds, both of whom support capital purchases of other kinds of transit vehicles. Additionally, this procurement process only went forward with the understanding that provincial funding would be available. In the many, many consultations that the City apparently did with Queen's Park in the run-up to this, the province could have said at any time that they would not come up with funding.

Instead, they are pulling the rug out now. That's not very sporting, and I think should give the City some pause when it decides how to respond to requests for co-operation on projects of great importance to Queen's Park but which are neutral or even bad for the 416, like some of the GO grade separations.

I am concerned by the extent to which Smitherman et al have been able to suddenly change the framing of this issue. Rather than Miller and Giambrone screaming about Thunder Bay, I think they would be better off stating very clearly and over and over again that the province was playing ball until recently, and then suddenly decided not to and to pretend it had never heard of the thing. Queen's Park shouldn't get away with this.

Unfortunately, in this case the distortion can be easily slotted into what lots of people already think about Miller and Toronto in general--that they're in a rush to spend 'other people's money,' which is a canard of course--and so parts of the media and commentariat accept it uncritically.

Back